Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
C.B.S
C.B.S
Lancaster, California
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 29
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (DUHC, peter paul, Okp, Richard Kal), 21 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,648
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#868935 01/13/22 2:51 pm
I
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
I
Hello Britbike members.

I'm looking to trace any photos from the 1964 ISDT event in East Germany that feature UK rider number 267.

The reason being is my father raced in that event as rider entry 267.

I've included a link to my Flickr stream, where you can see a couple of pictures of him on his old Matchless G3 (not the bike he rode in the event).
But notably there's an image of his event entry badge which we still have, my father is still very much alive and we are trying to locate images from
this event and would welcome any leads/names for people we could contact.
ISDT badge

We are aware there are a lot of images from various sources, and the closest we have found is an image of the start marquee, where you can see my fathers bike denoted by his race plate 267, unfortunately he is cropped out the picture which features the rider 278, which of course is the legendary Steve McQueen.

Thanks for reading the post, have a great day and we look forward to any information.

Last edited by Ian Nash; 01/13/22 4:46 pm. Reason: typo
British motorcycles on eBay
Life member
Life member
Perhaps a look on eBay.uk might find a copy of an English publication of the time, (I believe titled "The Motorcycle"?) They were very good at reporting on the motorcycle sporting events of Europe. Given event to print time- allow 1 week to maybe 3 months beyond date of race to determine a rough possible publication date. Also contact old MC magazine vendors to see if they can help.

What was the date of this ISDT race? I can check my 1964 US MC mag collection.........

I
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
I
Thank you. I believe it was September 6-12th. Funny enough i've just found a UK copy of Motor cycle/17,9,1964/I.S.D.T. Report on eBay.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Might be worth contacting the estate/custodians of François Gragnon 1929–2018 who took the cropped photo

https://www.lagaleriedelinstant.com/francois-gragnon/

They may have access to the original negatives with a wider view.

[Linked Image from speedtracktales.files.wordpress.com]

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
National motorcycle museum?
VMCC?

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Nice photo find there by K

These folks have an extensive archive of ISDT stuff.

https://speedtracktales.com/index-of-isdt-events/isdt-1964-e-germany/

No pic 267 there I can spot though.
Steve McQueen and Sammy Miller are though.
Doubtless they have much more

V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
I believe Mortons hold all the original photos taken by the Blue'un ( "MotorCycle") and the Green'un (" MotorCycling") the two major British weekly bike magazines of the day.
This is about the time both magazines started to fade away but I think both were still around then. Whatever the case, Mortons hold their photo collections which includes all the photos their photographers took for possible publication but weren't used. Well worth a try.
Trying to find photos of ordinary Clubmen ISDT competitors can be a pain .Plenty of shots of the various official teams and factory bikes plus individual celebrities but far fewer of the ordinary club man who rode his own bike and paid his own way.
Usually its a backgound shot like the Steve McQueen example.
Best of luck with the search Ian,

Life member
Life member
Ian,
I checked my box labelled 1964, found a way too brief reference to the ISDT in an October or November issue of Floyd Clymer's "Cycle"; photo was of Steve McQueen. Not of any help, I believe. Best to you and your father in this search! Joe

I
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
I
Many thanks to all for your encouraging notes and checking materials you have.

I've made contact with Julia Gragnon, as I think it's worth asking if its possible to check through some of the contact sheets/negatives from François Gragnons archives of the event.

I'm also wondering if contacting the McQueen estate/family could yield anything.

I'll update the post if I find anything! Best Ian & Brian Nash.

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com