Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
JD
JD
Maryland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 63
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 25
NickL 24
Newest Members
Vincent in LA, Lil Dave, OWhatAThrill, Mountain Rider, ToddK
11,996 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (dave j, rory brennan, L.A.B.), 17 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,326
Posts758,926
Members11,995
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Adam M. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
I'm looking for a kick stand for my dry frame A 65 bitsa and spotted lots of them being sold recently for quite high prices. Those new product sold as "Made in England from forged steel" look to me like India made stands you can find on Ebay for half the price. Anyway all of them are advertised as good for all twins and triples, Triumph and BSA which can't be true, because there were some differences between Triumph and BSA side stands originally I believe?
Anyway, I found some original used one from OIF model, will it fit my dry frame bike? And anybody knows about differences in the kick stand for those 2 models?

BSA on eBay
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Nothing would lead me to believe the OIF stand would work on your bike.

Life member
Online Content
Life member
Originally Posted by Adam M.
Anyway all of them are advertised as good for all twins and triples, Triumph and BSA which can't be true

If it fits the sidestand lug, a torch can be used to heat and bend...make sure exhaust pipe clearance is accounted for.

Check parts manuals to see any visible differences, or try and find photos online to allow you to compare.

On a mid sixties Triumph, I have used the later sidestand heated and bent to accomodate fitting- stock versus later are two very different stands and it worked.

Or, option c: make a bolt on plate to hold the sidestand- it gives a good amount of wiggle room for adjusting location and how swing of stand can be set up.

[Linked Image]

A
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
A
From what I can tell the side stands are identical apart from the lug which you can thread a bolt into to make using the stand easier to get to with your toe.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

1 member likes this: Hillbilly bike
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Deadstiff's photo is the standard replacement for Norton P11 side stands, which nearly always broke off within the first couple hundred miles.

P11 Nortons should have come with a better mount, or with a factory-standard tree or wall to lean the bike against when parked.

Life member
Online Content
Life member
Adam,
Link to my build of my sidestand. Has been in use a full 7 years now, and I always kick start with the stand down! No issues other than paint.....

http://inthelitterboxwithdeadstiffcatt.blogspot.com/2014/12/tink.html?m=1

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Anyway all of them are advertised as good for all twins and triples, Triumph and BSA which can't be true, because there were some differences between Triumph and BSA side stands originally I believe?
Anyway, I found some original used one from OIF model, will it fit my dry frame bike? And anybody knows about differences in the kick stand for those 2 models?
All I know for certain is that the OIF stands for both marques, as well as the T150 stand are the same part number. The '69 R3 stand is a different number.
My '71 A65 and my '72 T150V sit at a semi-extreme angle on the side stand. My '72 T120V sits at a better angle. The Trident frame is very similar to the dry Triumph twin frame, but I can't say how that stand would work on a dry BSA frame.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
A
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by Allan G
From what I can tell the side stands are identical apart from the lug which you can thread a bolt into to make using the stand easier to get to with your toe.

What I forgot to add is you would need the matching fulcrum/bolt, the OIF is unified thread, the Pre OIF is Cycle thread.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

A
Adam M. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
Guys, thanks for your answers, I decided to buy a 71 BSA / Triumph side stand and install it on my frame. I have the older BSA bolt with CEI thread. If I encounter any problems, I will have to rectify them somehow.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Guys, thanks for your answers, I decided to buy a 71 BSA / Triumph side stand and install it on my frame. I have the older BSA bolt with CEI thread. If I encounter any problems, I will have to rectify them somehow.

The bolt does not thread through the frame lug; it only threads through one side of the stand. So if you have or can get the correct bolt for that stand, you should be all set, assuming the bolt diameter is the same.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
1 member likes this: Allan G

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com