Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
maylar
maylar
Connecticut
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 30
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (konon, Stein Roger, Neil1964, BeezaBryan, Hillbilly bike, Dave Comeau, JDH), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,652
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#868465 01/08/22 3:05 pm
L
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
I have been following a fellow on YouTube .... Stuart Fillingham is his name, a UK based Enfield and Triumph rider.
Stuart has some alarming wake up calls for UK riders.

Apparently the UK government is about to introduce legislation that will make illegal ANY modification to a car or motorcycle that deviates from the ORIGIINAL manufacturer spec.. This will apply to new vehicles only ... so far.

For decades riders have customised their bikes for comfort, appearance and performance, these area's will become illegal if the legislation is signed into law. No more changes to seats, handlebars, wheels, tyres etc.

I don't know how many UK riders are aware of the approaching over reach by the government .... but the government are sliding this proposed legislation in " under the radar ".... if you are a UK rider, I will urge you to contact the motorcycle riders organisations in the UK and voice your opinion.

1 member likes this: Jon W. Whitley
British motorcycles on eBay
"The DfT immediately confirmed that it is not the government’s intention to stop motorcycle customisation, modification and adaptation where this does not relate to the environmental performance or design speed of a motorcycle. The proposals are instead aimed at ensuring the motorcycles can no longer be legally modified to generate more pollution and in the case of electric motorcycles, cannot have software changes made to increase speed."

https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/anti-tampering-uk/

Not quite "No more changes to seats, handlebars, wheels, tyres etc.".

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
L
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
Hey Hugh, thanks for your follow up, that does somewhat clarify some area's .... but, knowing how governments work, I will remain sceptical.

Life member
Online Content
Life member
The subject has been extensively covered by UK bike message boards/ faceache etc

BeezaBryan

He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination, It's the glory of the ride (Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Life member
Life member
There's a reason we dumped all that tea into the ocean a few centuries back!

Let me state this first- I am not anti any nation. I am against over zealous reach of a few people in charge trying to run every minute detail of my insignificant little life.

Tyre size changes? By putting a larger size tire on you can change how fast it will go. Same with sprockets..... Change the bars and seat to accomadate a more wind resistant profile and more speed? Strike number two. I could go on, but the point is this: DON'T let them sink their teeth in with vagarities and things that don't apply TODAY. Tomorrow they will modify their law!

In the words of two elected officials - Ben Dover, Ann Takeit, "We're the government and we're here to help!"

1 member likes this: wilksville
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by BeezaBryan
The subject has been extensively covered by UK bike message boards/ faceache etc

And the conclusion from that extensive coverage was ...... ??

I really don't think it would matter much what they legislate. Already, here, it is illegal to modify your emissions system with an open exhaust, re-chipped ECUs, and it's illegal to modify your exhaust such that the sound exceeds the standards of a stock, approved exhaust.

And yet if you sit (like I did the other day) at the edge of town at a traffic light headed onto the open highway, having a bit of road food, you will see a HUGE number of jacked up (already illegal) pickups "rolling coal" with modified diesels with open exhausts, black smoke rolling in clouds, and a noise that no one can even talk over while they're within 500 yards.

And 50% of the motorcycles that come by are V-twin cruisers, with 2" open drag pipes blasting away at levels that are probably 10 times the allowed decibel level.

Yet I've never seen nor heard of anyone getting stopped and ticketed for any of that. It's not like the police would have to "test" your vehicle for compliance; the very cats in the street can tell that they are completely illegal from 100 yards away, with their eyes closed.

I'm not saying that it's good or bad or whether regulations should be in place or not. I'm just saying that legislating something means nothing at all unless it's enforced. And there is 0 enforcement today of those very same rules, anywhere I've been.

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Same situation as you describe exists here In Illinois, Lannis.

Those guys mistakenly think that open, straight exhausts make it "go faster."

I guess they never heard of BACK PRESSURE.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Same situation as you describe exists here In Illinois, Lannis.

Those guys mistakenly think that open, straight exhausts make it "go faster."

I guess they never heard of BACK PRESSURE.

Well, I suppose if someone properly tuned the bike, I mean like optimizing cam timing, ignition timing, and fuel mixture to whatever length and diameter of pipe was being used, then it might have more power with open pipes than with stock ones.

I have friends here that I have known and ridden with since 1970, and every time they bought a bike from 1970 to about 2003, they wouldn't even think about bringing it home before they put a "slip-on" and a "jet kit" in it.... just for street cred. And since then, they make sure everyone knows it has a "chip" in it, the implication being it's now tuned up and faster than a plain old stock bike that the geeks might buy.

The really noisy ones are what I don't understand. Everyone hates them and complains about them, but the police NEVER touch them.

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Anytime anyone anywhere suggests legislation regarding anything there is someone who rings the alarm bell that life as we know or knew it is coming to an end and they ALWAYS are proven false!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Seems like every aftermarket silencer I buy has a sticker on it warning that it is not legal for bikes made after some time in the 80's when EPA noise regulations set in. My A65 came to me with straight pipes. I waited until I installed glass and baffles before I rode it out of courtesy.
I still need to take my SPL meter out to the garage just to satisfy my curiosity.
UK regulations might be easier to enforce. Aren't y'all subject to annual inspections?

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
In the UK the annual inspections are not required for historic vehicles, but you do have to tick a box saying its not been modified when you tax it.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I quite look forward to the day when loud exhausts on modern bikes are really banned because then I will be able to roar up on my legal 67 and make everyone jealous!

Dave

Last edited by dave jones; 01/09/22 8:56 am.
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Some laws never get imposed, in Scotland its still compulsory to practice archery on a Sunday and golf and football are banned on Sundays, thanks to James the 1st who was fed up of getting thrashed by English archers. AFAIK these laws are still on the books.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
The really noisy ones are what I don't understand. Everyone hates them and complains about them, but the police NEVER touch them.
Lannis

That's because of probable cause restrictions and the fact that most, if not all, patrol officers are not equipped with the proper testing equipment.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
And a lot of the cops own noisy HDs themselves---

DOPE
DOPE
i knew a guy in arizona with open pipes on hismachine. he was sitting at a burger joint one day when a cop came by and looked at his pipes. paused, then he took his pencil and stuck it up the pipes. took out his ticket book and started writing

my friend walked over.

what are you doing?

ticketing this bike for excessive noise.

but thats my bike. its not making noise. its not even running.

sonny, you got no baffles in them pipes. now you can sign this ticket now and ill be on my way, or we ll both sit here at this place until you have to go, and then you ll sign it. which do you want?

well, guess ill sign it . . .

so in that case it was an asshole cop with nothing better to do than bothrr people who wrote a noise ticket..

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
James the 1st

Sometimes inverted to “the First King James of Scotland” to avoid confusion with the one who succeeded Good Queen Bess.

A complicated reign!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_I_of_Scotland

“The key shall keep the castle and the bracken bush the cow.” After we’ve stabbed everyone we don’t like!

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
1 member likes this: kevin
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...no matter the Theme; The Power always wins.

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
Next thing you know they'll be be a law telling
everyone which side of the road to stay on .

1 member likes this: BeezaBryan
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
There's a young bloke with a Harley that makes his way up the street behind my place. It's a bit noisy and not terribly fast, but it brings his young brain some satisfaction. I see it as part of the charm of the neighborhood.

When I was the same age I used to ride up the very same street VERY fast, and on some occasions I used to ride various Nortons with megaphones and a BMW with straight pipes to the top of the hill and back again.

Whatever I may think about the mentality of older people who ride very loud bikes, its not my place to complain.

Last edited by sammysnail; 01/11/22 3:47 am.

1954 Norton Dominator 88 cafe - Yamaha wheels, Lyta tank ( project in progress)
1969 Triumph Bonneville
Currently 6 other non-Brit machines.
Past history includes 11 Brit and 13 non-Brit machines.
Some impressive and some just silly.
1 member likes this: BeezaBryan
Life member
Online Content
Life member
Originally Posted by quinten
Next thing you know they'll be be a law telling
everyone which side of the road to stay on .

clap laughing beerchug

BeezaBryan

He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination, It's the glory of the ride (Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
RE: Kevin's story about the cop, mufflers and baffles:

The later Triumph mufflers were "straight through" absorbtion mufflers, with no internal baffles.
Cops would poke a stick into them, hit nothing, and write tickets.

Triumph's answer was to weld a small piece of rod across the inside so the stick had something to hit.

End of "poke," end of problem.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
The later Triumph mufflers were "straight through" absorbtion mufflers, with no internal baffles.
Cops would poke a stick into them, hit nothing…

And the Police Triumphs were as loud as everyone else’s.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
https://advrider.com/report-france-is-now-using-noise-cameras-to-target-noisy-vehicles/

I know of at least several attempts in SoCal some years back to enforce motorcycle noise regulations (they do exist). CHP would set up unannounced "noise traps" on weekends in heavily biked areas, and issue citations based on readings from their decibel readers. Didn't happen often, and I haven't heard of them again for years now.

I used to live on Ortega Highway, which on weekends especially sounded like Willow Springs. Had a neighbor down the road that actually had his own decibel meter, and would record bike noise levels for hours and send the results in to the local CHP station, trying to get them to enforce their regulations. They just ignored and dismissed him, though he tried for a long time. Don Quixote.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Don't get me started. Light 'planes and helicopters generally make no apparent attempt at exhaust noise reduction. It can be done with helicopters, as the Blackhawks that occasionally carry out surprise night manoeuvers hereabouts are apparently very quiet. If my stepthru made as much noise as a Cessna I would be arrested. Grump grump grump.

1954 Norton Dominator 88 cafe - Yamaha wheels, Lyta tank ( project in progress)
1969 Triumph Bonneville
Currently 6 other non-Brit machines.
Past history includes 11 Brit and 13 non-Brit machines.
Some impressive and some just silly.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com