Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
maylar
maylar
Connecticut
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 30
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (konon, Stein Roger, Neil1964, BeezaBryan, Hillbilly bike, Dave Comeau, JDH), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,652
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
July 22 - July 24, 2022. Mark your calendars, cancel any weddings or other family events for scheduled for those days, etc. and be there!

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
1 member likes this: royaloilfield
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I might just be there, if I can figure out a route around both Cincinnati and Columbus. I've driven through there, some of the most annoying drivers in the country!

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by DavidP
I might just be there, if I can figure out a route around both Cincinnati and Columbus. I've driven through there, some of the most annoying drivers in the country!

You’d have to go out of your way to go through either of those cities. Instead you’ll be driving through some beautiful Amish country.

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Gordon: You should come to Boston. Some years past we got right on red. It only took a short while before it turned into left on red. Now it is straight on red. We have always had rotaries (round abouts to our UK friends). They started out with the driver coming into the rotary had the right away.

Then a few years back they changed to the driver in the rotary had the right of way. Now everyone (or no one) has the right of way.

Forget directionals. They are mostly used to fake out other drivers as what you re REALY going to do.

Now for some bizar reason leaving the highway requires you to cut off an 80,000 pound fuel delivery truck to get into the passing before you come to your exit. Then at the very last minute you dive across three lanes of traffic; in an area where the break down lane is used for passing; to just barely make it into the exit. To avoid the cahos two drivers swerve and spill their Duncan Doughnuts coffee in their lap causing an accident on the South East Expressway that backs traffic up some 30 miles back to Plymouth on route 3. In Boston driving is a contact sport!

2 members like this: Gordon Gray, Rich B
R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
That is funny John. And what I remember about driving in Boston when I was there a couple of times a month on business.

Actually, I thought directionals were a sign of weakness in the Boston area laughing

And you were supposed to chase pedestrians back up on the sidewalk where they belong.

You definitely didn’t give anyone an opening in traffic…..that was an excuse to get cut off.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sounds like everyone in Nashville learned to drive in Boston, except I think that watching NASCAR qualifies as driver's education in Tennessee.

72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray

You’d have to go out of your way to go through either of those cities. Instead you’ll be driving through some beautiful Amish country.

Gordon
Not from here. The 'normal' route would be up I-75 to Cinci, and I-71 through Columbus. Ohio drivers have an annoying habit of passing then pulling in front and slowing down then speeding up when you try to pass.
Amish country? You mean I could get stuck behind a buggy with an orange triangle on the back?
Remember that I'll be driving, not riding to this event.

72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Life Member
Life Member
You’re right……I keep forgetting you’re a Westerner.

It’s still up to choices and in that area they have buggy lanes so you don’t get stuck
behind any.

Just my opinion but I “ think” you’ll enjoy the event. The swap is a bit overwhelming but full of interesting stuff. The Ton Up boys usually have a set up in the camping area and are always a joy to be around.

You’re retired……IMO…..you shouldn’t be putting yourself in a position where you’re in a hurry to get anywhere. You put that behind you when you left the 8-5. Take a back way in and enjoy the drive and scenery.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 01/05/22 1:41 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
Reserved my swap meet spot and bought my tickets!

Ed from NJ

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Looking at the maps I can get there using US highways and avoid every city but Lexington, KY.
I'm a bit confused as to how they handle tow vehicles. There's no information yet on RV camping, even though I'd just be bringing a van. Might be better to tow with the Toyota and tent camp?

72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Life Member
Life Member
Just bring the van and camp in the tent camping area. Brit Bike compound is usually down near the tree line. Turn down the first or second road to the right once you come through the tent camping’s gate. RV spaces cost more and are typically for those big rigs. It’s been first come first served. Might be different now. Rich will chime in. You should be able to park your van and trailer in a tent camping space.

Be aware they over sell tickets and if they run out of space in the regular camping area you set up out in overflow out near the swap area.

It’s been years since I camped there. Things could have changed.

My biggest challenge ever year I hosted the get together was securing the same camping spot in the tent camping area. 7 years in a row…….but it took a LOT of planning. I used my AHRMA connections at first then a young fellow from Mid-Ohio corp started helping me.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 01/06/22 12:40 pm.

Life Member
Life Member
[Linked Image]

David, a view from the front gate. To the left is the grass track (MX) and behind that used to be competitor camping......."family" camping is to the right (out of frame?). Go through the main gate and take a left at the top of the hill to find camping. Straight ahead takes you to the infield with the swap meet to the right, just after the top of the hill.

Photographic proof if you choose.......... you can be first in line in on Saturday. laughing

You'll like it........beware of folks (young and old) on pit bikes and getting there early is always a plus.

Gordon in NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 01/08/22 12:52 am.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Look s like I'll need to leave home at midnight, it's an 8 hour drive.

72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Life Member
Life Member
Look s like I'll need to leave home at midnight, it's an 8 hour drive.

It was around an 8 hour drive for me too. Back when AHRMA was still at the track during the event, I would get in on Thursday morning because I'd help with the trials set up (or at least that was my story) One year Alan Burgess and I went on a Wednesday but they wouldn't let us in.......I "think" that was the year I jumped the fence and roped off our area. Anyone who thought it was just good luck we got that same spot 7 years in a row was sadly mistaken.

You need to check with Rich.......not sure when the "early" folks are let in now but that's when you want to be there. My last trip was in 2019 ( that gate photo) but I was just there for the swap on Saturday and only drove through the camping area.

I'll probably not go back.......the swap is amazing but I really need to downsize and not bring anything back home. I ALWAYS enjoyed the camping there......we had some really good times.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss those days. Good times with GREAT folks.

I know you and think you'll enjoy it.

Gordon in NC

We even made the news one year.......[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 01/08/22 4:16 pm.

1 member likes this: royaloilfield
R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Due to poachers getting Gordon’s spot, we moved across the road for a while. The corner poachers were annoying, and we ended up moving again. We found a fairly level spot another row or so over. There is also a lot less road traffic.

The current deal with the track is a camping pass and 2 weekend general admission tickets. They also changed the size of the camping space. For the better.

We can get in on Thursday morning through the vintage off road gate since I am entering the cross country. Hopefully someone else enters so we can get all vehicles in.

It would be good to know how many will be there Thursday morning so we can meet and go in together.

It would also be nice to know how many are gonna be there so we can block spaces and get everyone together. It upsets people when we do that, but nice to keep everyone together so we are surrounded by people we know.

R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Today is the last day to get your general admission and camping spaces from the track itself at reduced pricing.

It is the same deal as before, 1 tent camping space gets you 2 general admission tickets. I am going to guess David Duke will take my 2nd ticket. If he bows out, then it will be available

1 member likes this: David in Atlanta
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Rich B
Today is the last day to get your general admission and camping spaces from the track itself at reduced pricing.

It is the same deal as before, 1 tent camping space gets you 2 general admission tickets. I am going to guess David Duke will take my 2nd ticket. If he bows out, then it will be available

Thanks for the heads up, got mine today....

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'll probably be on the fence about attending until a couple of weeks before the event.
Is there any shade at this place, and does one have to arrive two days before the event to claim it?

72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
There is some shade, but not much. The camping spaces that have shade disappear quickly on Thursday morning.

There are plenty of canopies up for shade. We always have plenty of shade at our campsite. Many swap meet vendors have shade too.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
since a lot of you guys never go up to the R&T, I want you to know I posted a few hundred pics of you guys from the last 20 years. Just in case you want to know how old you've gotten.

Rich
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
couple of beesas a ducati
Another couple triumphs
and no Honda?

Moderated by  Ron T. in KY 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com