Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Gary Caines
Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 63
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 25
NickL 24
Newest Members
Lil Dave, OWhatAThrill, Mountain Rider, ToddK, JohnS_au
11,995 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (TR7RVMan, gunner), 19 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,325
Posts758,924
Members11,995
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#868208 01/05/22 12:50 pm
S
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
S
Hi Folks,
I'm rebuilding what was once a Hagon grasstrack bike for sprinting. It's basically a C15 engine, but with what I think is a shortened B50 crank (80mm stroke, roller big end, end fed ) A cam of which I'm uncertain, but it doesn't match any of the BSA ones, A65 valves and running on methanol with a Gardner carb and magneto ignition.
The bore was worn, so I had to fit a Triumph piston, taking the capacity up to 299cc.
The compression ratio comes out to 16:1 if I don't alter anything so I'm planning to pack the barrel up a bit further (it's already raised for the long stroke) to bring it down a bit.
I was thinking that 14:1 looks like a good figure for methanol.
Has anybody run a C15 at this sort of figure and whether the stock head studs will take it?
many thanks

Hagon C15 Sprint
B40
Tiger Cub Trials
Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
Some others
BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If the stock studs won't take it then you can make new studs, the C15 ones are waisted with the larger end screwed into the crankcase and all smaller above. Make the new studs the same diameter as the crankcase end and open out the barrel and head holes to suit, plus you need new head nuts but the crankcase will need no modification. I had this issue on a hot B40 with high compression and this cured the head gasket leaks and the B44 factory studs are the same larger diameter from end to end.

S
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
S
Thanks Kommando, sounds like a plan.

Hagon C15 Sprint
B40
Tiger Cub Trials
Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
Some others
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Are you going to use the bike for what it was built for or something else.

Mr Mike

C
Novice poster
Novice poster
C
Hi shedrider , This my first post , just a note on packing the barrel , this will lower the compression ratio , but really bad because you lose the squish band ,(tumble and swirl) which is really important for a more homogenous mixture which helps against detonation . Cheers .

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
80mm stroke sounds interesting. If the crank is/was B44 or B50, then it's a 5 piece crank pressed together, actually not unlike B40 but B40 was only 70mm. If so it would have to have custom flywheels or offset crankpin or evidence of new holes. B25 crankshaft is 70mm as well but one piece forged with bolt on flywheels. I have one that has been welded and ground off-center for 75mm stroke, so may be possible to do the same for 80mm stroke.

Check that 16/1 compression ratio, as that wouldn't be easy to achieve. I have a B50 bored to 92mm with JE piston, about .035" squish band, 90 mm stroke, and I have measured compression ratio to be 14/1. Of course you are more under square at 69 x 80 than my 92 x 90, so may be possible to get 16/1.

You show your location as Peterborough, but what country?

Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Steve said that. Anything worth doing well is worth teaching to others. I said that.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com