Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
maylar
maylar
Connecticut
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 30
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (konon, Stein Roger, Neil1964, BeezaBryan, Hillbilly bike, Dave Comeau, JDH), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,652
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#867813 01/01/22 8:52 pm
B
Brian L Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
I am trying to get an 1925 BSA L25 up an running and am struggling with getting spark. The magneto is an E.I.C. The point is set at 0.012" but i am not getting any spark. I do feel a jolt when kicking it over if I am holding the spark plug but I can't get any spark on the plug or when I hold the wire near the magneto. Any ideas what may be wrong.

Thanks

[video:youtube]
[/video]

British motorcycles on eBay
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Brian L
Any ideas what may be wrong.

Old age ?!
The recommendation in the Owners Handbook likely sez for the magneto to undergo a yearly inspection/replentishment.
If its missed the last 70, 80, or 90 even it may be past its best !

Earlier magnetos were/are famous for using shellac to insulate the ~mile of wiring inside.
This stuff is known to absorb water, and for the copper starting to rot.
If you've not stripped it down and examined each component carefully, now might be the time to consider it.
The lube in the bearings is also likely to have dried up/flowed out/gone hard/etc so its living on borrowed time ?
The condensor (internally) was also a construction that didn't make for a long life, and may be kaput.

A rewound/refurbished magneto is probably THE singlemost important component to give reliability in any restoration.
A good magneto gives trouble-free motoring. An unknown one can give more trouble than its worth.
If I've laid it on a bit thick, its because the maggie is a precision bit of kit, and needs to be GOOD.
Hopethishelps !

And, having said all that, I've got a similar era EIC for a Duggie project that gives good sparks.
But its brushes seem like new, so its had some TLC somewhere in its life ?
If it ever looks like getting mobile, I intend for the local magneto guru to attend to it ...

B
Brian L Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
I there anyone people use to rebuild these old magneto's?

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Doug Wood appears as a name on some places as someone who knows his magnetos.
I haven't personally used him, being on the other side of the world.
But he sure seems knowledgeable on such things.

A ten year old listing gives him as
Doug Wood in Boyertown, PA He specalizes in British Magneto repair. His e-mail is [email protected]@netzero.net
(no 2nd @) Hopethishelps.

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Doug rebuilt the magneto on my 1921 Cleveland and did a fantastic job. He also did the generators on my 43 BSA M20 and 39 Francis Barnett Cruiser, both work great and were very well done. He is great to work with. Should he not be able to help with the EIC magneto, you may try Gregg Kricorissian in Canada, he did the magneto on my 29 Douglas and did a fantastic job.

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Gregg Kricorissian did some real nice work for me on several magnetos and dynamos. (M01, BTH and KNC1 mags, both long and short Lucas dynamos.

As well he is an active contributing member of the Forum.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com