Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
JD
JD
Maryland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 63
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 25
NickL 24
Newest Members
Vincent in LA, Lil Dave, OWhatAThrill, Mountain Rider, ToddK
11,996 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (rory brennan, L.A.B., Ian Nash, kommando), 17 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,326
Posts758,926
Members11,995
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
At the recommendation of Gordon why not start a new thread on this rear fender and hoop I've got going on.

The box of parts that came with my Victor included a chain guard, Smiths Speedometer (broken), and several other bits including this rear fender hoop. I don't think the hoop came with this bike as it doesn't fit very well but it likely had one originally. I believe the history though is that someone wanted to turn it into a GP look alike and did some interesting work on the fork, removed a lot of stuff, and the rear fender is actually aluminum.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I installed the hoop to use as a rack, which worked great to pick up firewood while camping. I'm sure it will be handy for carrying whatever while exploring BLM lands here as well.

So this brings the question... on a '67 Victor Enduro, with possibly a single seat, would it have had that hoop on the rear? It's possible that the rear fender, being aluminum, is not original and could even be in a different position than original as well causing the hoop to kind of "hang out" there; or I have it installed wrong!

The taillight of course is not OE but just a British-styled unit I installed.

Now, I picked up this Victor from my Uncle (his knee was not having it) and I think he got it from someone near Sacramento; I could be wrong on that but I do recall that they had a lot of trouble getting it running even trying to bump-starting. I found on this blog post a photo of this bike when it was for sale in the San Francisco Bay Area back in 2015:

travelswithpete-lclark.blogspot.com/2015/04/ajs-matchless-and-other-british.html?m=1

It would be cool to find out more history on this bike for sure if anyone knows.

Clay

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
BSA on eBay
Life Member
Life Member
Clay......I "think" it's the fender that was swapped out for some reason. That fender loop you're using as a rack looks stock to me. BUT.....they used it starting in 67. Wasn't used ( I don't think) in 66. So if your bike was assembled during the change it might not have had it......stranger things have happened.

Like Steve said....it's a nice clean look and there's nothing wrong with the way you have it. Just one of these days some know it all is going to point it out to you. ( oh wait........that's what I'm doing.......never mind!!!)

That loop is actually a rear fender brace. Crappy photos ( sorry) but you get the point.

I said some 60s Asian rear racks can be made to fit.........I got that wrong. Early 70s small bikes like the Honda SL125 and SL100 have racks made by the same folks that supplied them ( aftermarket) for BSA's AAA. I have a couple of them in the shop and it wouldn't take much to mount one on a stock set up.

I like the fact that you're not worried about originality.........that's not my cupa either.

Take care........have fun!!!!!

BSAing ya................Gordon

IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0103.JPG
Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/30/21 10:19 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........Life's a BEACH!!!!!!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think the fender rail was used in 66 Gordon, though probably not until they realized the heavier tail light may have made the need for fender support necessary? Early publicity shots don't show it. But later ones do... I have a couple 66 rear fender set-ups, one with the rail and cut-out alloy tail light housing, and one without either (Cub-type alloy tail light).

You're probably thinking of the grab bar... don't think I've ever seen one used with solo seats.

The rail on Clay's bike does look to me to be longer than stock, but it is hard to tell with the fender.

C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
One part I do not have is the grab bar. I wonder if that helps mount the hoop properly? Spreading the hoop to fit over the shock bolts was difficult which was making me think it didn't come from this bike.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

No, the side cover isn't proper for this bike. I'm sure the original air filter/box was tossed in it's past, but I needed something for that area to "hide" the electrics anyway.

Clay

Life Member
Life Member
Steve, I was just relaying what the 66 parts book shows and we both know that doesn’t mean a whole lot.

I’m pretty ashamed of those photos I posted. I was in a hurry and beat after a frustrating day at work.

I’ll measure one of the loose loops I have. But the connection he’s doing with the p clamps ( aka Adele’s?) look like they line up with the fender holes.

Clay, you don’t need a grab rail and Steve’s right….. I’ve never seen one used on a single seat. It doesn't help hold up the fender loop.

I got plenty of those small flat pieces that connect the loop to the fender. I’ll try to get a good photo of them tonight

I love that seat!!!!!! Haven’t suffered from seat envy before……do now.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/30/21 8:40 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Now that I can see it closer, gotta agree with Gordon... it is the stock rail. Clay, it is supposed to fasten to the fender with the two flat straps he mentioned, plus the two rear tabs, bolting directly to the (stock) fender itself. Grab rail doesn't help support it, but that part does bolt through the front and center tabs, as shown on Gordon's fender shot... the rail supports it.

Ditto on the envy, Gordon... I've often looked for a "3/4" seat, between the solo and twin size, kinda like a TR5T. (hey, didn't I send you a Bates seat kinda like that, years ago? damn fool, me)

Life Member
Life Member
I was so concerned about figuring out what I needed to do to clear up my photos (just too shaky to do it free hand) I forgot the scale. Here's another try.....tri-pod this time around. Rough measurements of the loop are 15 1/4" end to end down the centerline. The two small brackets (?) that fasten back to the fender are roughly 3 3/16" long by 13/16" wide.

Honestly, I don't think they' re that hard to find if you wanted to modify one.

Rear racks come in very handy IMO.

Working on making better photos of the Roadster's loops.

Steve......that does ring a bell???? I had to make a seat for that (AHRMA ISDT)66/67 I gave away........makes me cringe every time I see it. Bless that boy for keeping it but it haunts me....not my finest hour. So I didn't have the seat your talking about around then or it would have been on it. Just don't remember, been too long? I have that red pipping bump seat I think I got from you???

Gordon in NC

loop2.JPG
Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/30/21 8:42 pm.

Life Member
Life Member
I'm going to guess the OP's frame number is pretty high. The frame's rear loop doesn't use the double tabs and I thought that change happened in 68?

Gordon

Life Member
Life Member
I mentioned that some Asian bike racks can be made to work on a BSA unit single. I'm lucky enough to have one of the racks specifically made for the B44 by AAA (aka Triple A). This photo shows the B44 rack (bottom) along side a Honda CL/CB 100 rack.

[Linked Image]

The Honda's rack is also made by AAA (aka Triple A). My guess is there are a lot of these out there that are pretty much the same.

[Linked Image]

It "could" be made to mount on the back of a B44 ( B44R in photo).

[Linked Image]

What Clay does is the same thing without putting any stress on the fender. Which since his are Alloy that might be a good thing. Those P clamps are going to have most of the stress. I've used them on B44/25s for several applications, from mounting electronic clocks to my cooler bags. I've had them fail, enough that I would carry spares. I'd still use them again If I had to.

Proud to be one of the BSA unit single guys........Gordon in NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/31/21 9:58 pm.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com