Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
maylar
maylar
Connecticut
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 30
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (Just1more, konon, Neil1964, JDH, pidjones, KevRasen, bill50cal, BeezaBryan), 33 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,652
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Markie #865976 12/11/21 7:34 pm
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Back, probably at least ten years ago, I contacted a Renolds distributor for triplex chains for the BSA A65/A75. They said they do not sell chain for motorcycle applications. Has this changed? Or are they only selling rear chains? I changed my design and went with Hyvo chain. At least they were willing to work with me.

British motorcycles on eBay
Markie #865996 12/11/21 11:53 pm
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
They don't really target the bike market but they do sell a high grade chain type
suitable for bikes, you just have to buy 10 or 100 foot boxes of it.
I think they call it 'Blue-Box' chain. Easy to tell as it's twice the price of standard stuff.
Their best grade is 'Synergy' which meets or exceeds all the standards, same deal with
buying it though.

Last edited by NickL; 12/12/21 12:00 am.
Markie #866028 12/12/21 6:10 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
So, is there any reason to pay twice as much for a Reynolds chain, or do I keep buying DID?

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Markie #866162 12/13/21 2:41 pm
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
No DID triplex chain for the T140...

Markie #866263 12/14/21 5:21 am
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
I've had good service out of Reginaa, DID, Renolds and Tsubaki chains.
I've used a couple of cheap ones but only if any of those 4 were not available.
Going to try Iwis next time around as they seem to be the one of choice at
the moment.

reverb #866269 12/14/21 6:05 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by reverb
No DID triplex chain for the T140...
I was only talking about the rear chain. So far the triplex chain on my T150 is fine, original Reynold, 17,000 miles. I did replace the primary chain on the T120 with Japanese duplex though.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
NickL #866288 12/14/21 2:12 pm
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Originally Posted by NickL
They don't really target the bike market but they do sell a high grade chain type
suitable for bikes, you just have to buy 10 or 100 foot boxes of it.
I think they call it 'Blue-Box' chain. Easy to tell as it's twice the price of standard stuff.
Their best grade is 'Synergy' which meets or exceeds all the standards, same deal with
buying it though.

The expensive product you're referring to would be Synergy chain, this product was developed only 20 years ago & has never been approved for use on motorcycles. Although the chain looks identical to the standard chain, it's sold in silver packaging & spring link are coloured silver.
Incidentally, this is the chain spec that the British Cycling chains are based on that has resulted in domination of the last few games.

The standard Renold chain referred to as "Blue Box" is the very same chain that Velocette buy from Renold, they cut to length & pack in the rectangular motorcycle chain boxes you all see. This chain is essentially the same spec as was always fitted to our classics long before ISO 10190 was developed & therefore is a genuine replacement for what was fitted as OEM.

At present, I don't even know what costs are going to be on the shop offerings but I understand the competition product costs have been taken into account for these new chains. As soon as stock is on the shelves, the online shop will go live no long after.

Last edited by Chain Guru Phil; 12/14/21 2:14 pm.
Markie #866300 12/14/21 3:54 pm
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Apologies if this hijacks the thread a little, as it may (or not!) be applicable to triples.
Ref, Chain Guru Phil
I am a little puzzled by some of your comments relating to past product supply. With specific ref to triplex chain, few years ago in Vincent circles it became a non no to fit a Renold triples primary because they became well known for splitting rollers and spitting the chain out of the chaincase - with resultant wallet emptying consequences. At the time 'the word' was that because Renold had downgraded / stopped their 'automotive' version of the chain and were supplying 'transmission' grade (for conveyor like applications) without informing anyone of the change.
Consequently everyone avoided fitting Renold chain and went Tsubaki, who have apparently now done the same 'transmission' downgrade.

From your point of view, can this be confirmed / revoked and do Renold plan to stock an 'automotive' grade triplex that does not shed rollers again?
Admittedly the Vincent market for these chains now is probably microscopic as the majority of owners these days are investors not riders and would not know any form of chain if it hit them over the head!!

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
I can't comment on the split roller issue as although I'd heard about such complaints, I've never seen it myself. If anyone has such a failed chain that we can take a look at, I'd be more than happy to get it to the head office for investigation.
It's possible these chains did in fact fail under load but without seeing any evidence myself to check in the lab, I can't really comment on the real reason for failure.

I'm not saying this might have been the case on the instances referred to, but one of my motivating factors to start this project was the unreliable methods by which anyone can buy any grade chain & sell it as Renold. I have experienced dodgy folks selling really cheap quality chain for motorcycles that are so bad you may as well cut your leg off to start with before the chain does it for you. I've also seen other suppliers claim Renold use sintered bushes which has never been the case on chains destined for motorcycles.

I can at least confirm that the rollers on all the blue box chains that Velocette sell to dealers have solid rollers & bushes & always have.
Some other manufacturers use split rollers & sintered bushes which by default will be weaker.
I can also confirm that the new chains out in Spring 2022 will also be solid rollers & bushes but the plates will be different to conform with ISO10190.

Last edited by Chain Guru Phil; 12/14/21 5:09 pm.
Markie #866786 12/19/21 3:06 pm
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
CGPhil, thanks for the response.
I'll ask around and see if there are any examples of exploded chain still lurking on the naughty step (highly unlikely given the repair costs and passage of time now).
Cheers

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com