Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Les P
Les P
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 60
DavidP 59
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 20
Newest Members
MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland
12,212 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (kevin), 9 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,552
Posts776,406
Members12,212
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#865223 12/04/21 5:44 pm
R
Randy68 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Removed the center stand on my 68 T120R while doing some other stuff and am thinking about
not reinstalling it. Seems cleaner without it. What's your vote? Center stand- Yes or No?
(Of course I would keep it for the next steward)

Triumphs on eBay
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Do you intend to do all your rear chain adjustments on a jack, in your garage?

Having owned a T100C with no center stand, I prefer to have one.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Do you intend to do all your rear chain adjustments on a jack, in your garage?

Having owned a T100C with no center stand, I prefer to have one.
I agree. I have had bikes without one and it's a pain. It was the first thing I fitted to my 900 Daytona when I bought it in 96.

SR

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Why would you make rear chain adjustments on a jack? The chain has to be checked at the longest distance between sprockets. Typically the rear has to be loaded to level the swingarm for checking.

3 members like this: Allan G, NickL, Hillbilly bike
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Originally Posted by DMadigan
Why would you make rear chain adjustments on a jack?

Or on a centre stand.

I see things simply. I squash the back of the bike down with my own weight and check the slack in the chain. If it’s too loose, I tighten it a little and check it again.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
there are any number of maintenance tasks that are more quickly accessible with the aid of a centerstand .
1. Back wheel off the ground .. in neutral... back wheel ( and chain ) rotate for maintenance
2. Front wheel off the ground ... front wheel spins for maintenance
3. Back wheel off the ground ... in 4th gear ... spark plugs out ... engine will turn over easily
By rotating the back wheel to find ;
a. Top dead center for valve adjusting
b. 38° btdc advance for ignition timing

1 member likes this: Al Navecky Jr
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Before you change your mind about above - cut off the leading edge of the grappling hooks curves- then reinstall.
Easy to set back on the centerstand for maintenance - keep you safe on the road not to engage concrete abutments that might catch & send you flying to disaster- or close to, ask me how I Know !

Last edited by JBMorris; 12/04/21 10:34 pm.

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
1 member likes this: rory brennan
D
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
D
Center stand yes and no. Took mine off the 72 years ago cause the rod you stepped on to lower it kept dragging on the pavement. Once it got stuck in a rain grove and I did a 180 while laying on my side. Don't ride like that anymore, not by choice, but needed to put the center stand back on so I could start it with my left foot while standing next to it. It is more solid than starting on the side stand.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DMadigan
Why would you make rear chain adjustments on a jack?
Because I typically apply chain lube when I adjust the chain.
I have the center stand on both my Triumphs. I always keep the Trident on the center stand, as it is relatively easy to use. The one on the OIF is a pain to use, but I'm glad to have it for tire and chain maintenance.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
If you use longer shock bolts and put on spools you can use a rear wheel stand to adjust the chain and lube it.

2 members like this: pidjones, rory brennan
Life Member
Life Member
If I have a choice, I like a center stand. I see more reasons to have one than not.

Wheel stand will work at home and in the shop but some of us ride further than that.

Gordon.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/08/21 6:47 am.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
“If I have a choice, I like a center stand. I see more reasons to have one than not.”

I couldn’t agree more.

I only had a centre stand on my Triton for the first couple of years when I was using swept-back headers.
Once I used the TT style pipes, the centre-stand had to go.

That is an awkward, but not insurmountable inconvenience. When a puncture occurs in the field such that it cannot be dealt with in the shed (only twice in 40 years) the fuel tank is removed (easy on my bike).
The bike is then laid over on its side, either wheel can then be removed easily.

1 member likes this: rory brennan
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I left the centre stand off my tr6r for a few years and I could still do most things. When it came to removing wheels it was a bit difficult jacking it up and putting it on wobbly blocks so I put the stand back on again. I vote for having it. If you follow the instructions in the manual for chain adjustment it can be done on or off the stand.

Dave

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
When setting the rear chain, loosen the axle nuts first.

I see too many adjuster end-caps (those that cover the swing-arm ends) bent almost in half because the mechanic attempted to pull the chain tighter by
wrenching the nuts on the adjusters while the axle was still tight.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I've not got one on my '65 TR6, but wish I had. Apart from all the reasons stated, it gives you another option when parking the bike eg tucking the bike into the corner of a garage without leaning it against the wall.

In favour of leaving it off, is the potential malady well described by Desco. Also, when did you ever see the hero in a movie get of his (and it usually is a his) bike and put it on a centre stand? Is it possible to do it gracefully if you haven't got arms like Arnie's?

Life Member
Life Member
A bit off topic but when I adjust a chain for the first time I remove the Shocks ( not really necessary) and level my swing arm ( longest point). Once I have the correct slack I put the Shocks back on then re-measure. That’s the figure I use for later adjustments. I’m also very anal about wheel alignment and use a long straight edge along the length of the bike. The center stand makes that task much easier.

Chain lube……I always carry some in my tank bag if there’s a possibility of wet riding when I’m traveling. My chain gets wet, it gets lubed at the next fill up. Yes it can be done without the center stand but.

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I lived without a center stand on my T140 for 30 years, if I needed the the wheels off the ground I just picked it up and put it on a cinder block, when I got older I bought a jack. When I bought my T150 project it came with a center stand, I loved it, it wasn't long after that I bought one for the T140. A member here sold me one complete with all the hardware at a very reasonable price. I have twin 4 year old grandsons that love to play on my bikes, they wouldn't be allowed to if they were on the side stand.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
Another vote for the center stand. While it doesn't get used frequently, it sure is handy when you need it and a lot easily than fooling around with a floor jack.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
i get frequent scrapes on my right shin when manoeuvring past my t140 in my crowded garage (stand up) - when i bought it the stand had the step cut off because the previous owner had the same problem, but then i got a standard one because it was hard to get onto the stand without the step - but i've found that the height of tyres (front and rear) and length of Shocks makes a big difference to the ease/difficulty of getting it up
they are very handy when working on the bike, which i tend to do a lot
rory

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
The owner is supposed to start the bike on the center stand, to avoid breaking the side stand lug off the frame.

D
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
D
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNtOUQKMYrmDYQtYyDfwqE1OTqDNESFnO4kLrPv

This is a test. I went from Google to Facebook to here. Let me know if it's easier.

Last edited by desco; 12/10/21 5:34 pm.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Some people seem to struggle with getting their bike on the stand, I did until I found it was more a matter of technic than brute strenght, Put your weight on the stand while pulling backwards and upwards, all in one motion. I'm certainly not strong but I have no problem with the T140 or the T150.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Shel, if you have no problem with getting a T150 on the stand, 650s and 500s should be easy for almost anyone.

R
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
R
...almost impossible for me to put the bike on the center stand, alone. I did it couple of times in 2 years but I have the body damaged and the 79 models (International models; do not know about the USA models with that different handle bar) seem a bit taller than the others T140.
I always need a helper.
I understand that technique but most of the time the bike did nothing and is too much force on the rear arm for me.
Also the gloss tiles or similar types of floors are not suitable; the bike just slip on the floors of my house.

-Desco, do not understand how did you have trouble with the distance of the stand to the ground when riding! May be those earlier OIF have a shorter distance to the ground?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
The owner is supposed to start the bike on the center stand, to avoid breaking the side stand lug off the frame.
The owner is supposed to start the bike while not on either stand.

It's not a bug, it's 'character.'

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
1 member likes this: gavin eisler
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com