Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
wadeschields
wadeschields
NYC and York PA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 29
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hugh Jörgen, Dave Comeau, Neil1964), 29 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,648
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
flowboy Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
I seem to be taking over the forum at the moment! smile Just focussing on prep for various jobs I want to get done over the Winterval..

Right... 8" (& 7" for that matter) Single sided Goldie / B31-33 brake drum;
What material/s are they made from? Steel? Cast iron?

I know for certain that the various rear QD type 7" chainwheel drums can be found in both cast iron & steel.
I have never seen a broken or bent front drum to have got any idea of material

HA! looking in Roy Bacon's Singles restoration book I found reference to them being cast iron. It is what I thought but just I couldn't recall ever having read that before (which I must have, it's a well thumbed copy) or anywhere else. Brain fade.

I'm actually looking at drilling an 8" drum for racing but didn't want to end up scrapping the drum by making it weak. Obv. the later GS drums are well drilled already which should set anyone's mind at rest.

Last edited by flowboy; 12/03/21 11:07 am. Reason: doh!
BSA Goldstar on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Flowboy
The 8in. front drums were made in both steel and cast
The easy way to tell is the plain drums without fins or cooling/ lightening holes are steel
The finned cast hubs came with two different depth brake drums, the difference is inside the spoke flanges
The deep drums were AFAIK from the A65

John

F
flowboy Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
Hi Chater'

Thanks, I didn't know they were in both materials. I've never had reason to try drilling or lightening a front before where I might have found out.
If asked I would have said the GS type with holes & Welch plugs would have been steel & the plain ones cast iron. That's only based on someone years ago, telling me to find a steel rear chainwheel hub if I was going to drill it full of holes, as the cast ones were brittle & might fail. I have no idea if they are really brittle or what type of cast they are.

I've often seen the A65 brake described as GS - it is very similar but the GS is shallower at the back. The A65 does have a bigger pad / shoe area which is a good thing in traffic or on the track. I do know the finned ones of either sort can be expensive...

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
There were, AFAIK, 3 different width 1/2 width brake drums

1.375” - very early 1/2 width

1.500” - most common thru 1965

1.625” - 1966 -1970. All Twins, 66 - 67. Single carb Twins, 1968, B44 68 - 70. These are not bad brakes. They actually perform decent with good lining and set up

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
F
flowboy Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
My race bike had the un-finned Goldie vented drum. If set up well it's a pretty good brake, altho' it helps to have a good cable & strong right hand! They do get hot (enough to get the paint peeling) & fade a bit on track. On a 350 it's not so bad, a 500 would be harder on one so I expect the finned post '66 version would be an improvement. My Road DBD (un-finned 8") doesn't stop on a sixpence that's for sure, even with 2LS brake plate. That said, it is quite a bit heavier than a race bike.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com