Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
wadeschields
wadeschields
NYC and York PA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 30
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (pushrod tom), 27 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,652
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#859428 09/26/21 6:07 am
C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Hello friends,
Just wondering,does the DB34 Goldie have the same steering head angle as a BSA B33 for instance ?
The 'quick' steering of my DB 34 has taken some getting used to.
Thanks all ..

BSA Goldstar on eBay
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Steering angle , 27 degrees , is the same on B33 as it is CB32 frames . The steering on my 56 DB34 is not as quick as a more modern bike .

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Charlieboy
....The 'quick' steering of my DB 34 has taken some getting used to...... ..
IMO, GS's tend toward stable rather than quick. All mine are or have been relatively slow steering..

Tire choice, over long rear Shocks, sacked fork springs, handlebar choice and riding position will all have an effect on quickness.

A bent frame that steepens the steering head angle is possible too. I've had two that were bent. It's not too difficult to check but you will probably need a special fixture or two.

C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Thanks Duke2242 and Stuart,
The tyre on the front is a Dunlop Roadmaster TT-100 360.19.. Dunlop TT100 on the rear as well... touring handlebars... new fork internals .. Hagon Shocks /Goldie Specs...
The Dunlop tyres are new and replaced a ribbed Avon front...It has 'slowed' the steering marginally
Riding position ? .. This is one thing I've always wondered about.When we restored the bike,a new seat foam from Leightons was fitted.This is very firm and I feel as though I'm sitting atop of the the bike ,rather than 'in it'.. if that make sense..I'm looking at a motor trimmer who may be able to shave an inch or so off the foam thickness,that might work..
I've had the bike for about 5 years now,but have never really felt at ease with the handling :-( ... Compared to my Triumph 1969 TR6 or my Ducati GT,it's a difficult machine to ride... and I know it shouldn't be.
Thanks again folks ...

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Charlieboy
.........The tyre on the front is a Dunlop Roadmaster TT-100 360.19........
I have TT100 4.10x19's front and rear on my '53 BB34GS and it is a relaxing, stable ride even with much less than perfect forks and rear Shocks. I would be suspicious of your 3.60x19 front TT100. Those 3.60's are sized really small relative to the stated size. That will quicken the steering.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
My Leightons seat seemed hard, but I’ve done 3500 miles in 14 months and it’s softened nicely now. I’m 14 stone /200lb

C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Cheers Stuart and Dave ...
I'll have to live with the 3.60's as they've only been on a week... maybe I'll get used to them.I really should ride the Bike more often.
and to Dave ..I've done about 2,000 miles on mine.I'm in a fortunate position in having a few different bikes to ride,no doubt ,the problem of getting used to Goldie ..
Cheers men..regards from Oz ... Charlie.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
I'll choose "stable steering" over "quick steering" every time.

To me, "quick steering" seems "TWITCHY" and I don't like that feel.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I seriously thought about changing the foam in mine, especially as Leightons are 7 mile from me, but then I go for a ride on one of my rigid bikes, and it doesn’t seem so bad !

1 member likes this: BSA_WM20
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
The head angle, as mentioned, is the same as the B33, which was less steep (by a couple fo degrees) than was intended, but I seem to recall the reason for the less-steep angle being the use of existing jigs!

A B33-framed bike I raced years ago had a steeper head angle, courtesy of slightly bent front downtimes..I'm guessing it was a result of an impact, probably with a car! By the time I owned it, the forces were straight but the frame had never been fixed. The result was a bike that steered and handled particularly well, and notable better in the steering department that any other B33 or GS I rode, then or since.

I guess the resultant head angle must have been closer to what was originally intended.

On the subject of tyres, years ago I owned a late model 450 Desmo Ducati. I ran then-fashionable Michelin S41 tyres on the front (M45 rear), in common front-tyre sizes (3.25, as ai recall) nd the handling was very good. One day, at a rally, I rode an identical bike with a 3.60 section TT100 and the difference is steering response was night and day - MUCH faster steering with the 'trogonic' TT100.

just my 2c

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Any standard (as in unmodified) pre-unit swing arm bike I have ridden, I would describe as stable. They are predictable and easy to ride in a corner.

If you have one that I quick steering, I would say it could be a lot of things to check: tires, tweaked frame, stanchions too short, too long of a top fork bushing or a spacer added, too long of Shocks, etc.

I run Avon Road Riders on all of my vintage bikes, including the GS. I find the unit bikes to be more "twitchy" than the pre-unit bikes.

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
F
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
F
Reviving this thread a tad...
Regarding the tyres, my CB framed Goldie originally had a (19") Gold Seal K70 on the front & I hated it. The bike felt "nervous" to me, particularly in the wet. Probably the tires were old which didn't help either. I put a TT100 on & it was much improved & I have never run anything other than 3.60 since.
I have raced classic bikes with 18" 110/80 Avon's front & rear & they were fine (I don't like the look but that's just aesthetics) & the big front was supposed to give better grip/ fewer crashes. I have otherwise raced on 90/90 fronts - & crashed more on them! But then I've done a lot more races on them also.

I'm pretty certain that Kerry is right & the BB/CB steering head angle was not what it might have been. I recall reading that when the prototype works frames were developed & tested, after one trial, the abuse had bent a frame at the headstock, steepening the steering angle & it steered much better. The very early (works?) BB swing arm frames used nearly the same angle but it was standardised back at 61 degrees like all the BSA range for mass production (& maybe cost saving).
Quite a few Goldie racers have used longer rear Shocks or experimented with swinging arm mounting points, to change the handling.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com