Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
JD
JD
Maryland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 63
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 25
NickL 24
Newest Members
Vincent in LA, Lil Dave, OWhatAThrill, Mountain Rider, ToddK
11,996 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (John Harvey, gavin eisler, Pat), 24 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,326
Posts758,926
Members11,995
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Did the manufacturer buy rights to the BSA name?. All in all a good looking bike with some modern technology. I wonder what quality and reliability will be. Never understood why they gave up on the Goldie in early sixties only to name the B50SS a "Gold star" in 1971. Maybe I'll look for a real "Goldie"and scratch that itch that never got scratched.

Mr Mike

BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I like it better than the modern Triumph. I was hoping for more power, larger displacement.
I like the skid plate, cocktail shakers ok.
Great for Hipsters

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Dave martin,
You hit the nail on the head. We like those old things we grew up with, understood, and knew how to fix. I think that bike is a beauty. Notwithstanding the advantages of a water-cooled engine, it would be nice if they could downsize that radiator a bit and make it less prominent. Also a bit heavy. It's creeping up to the 500 lb range where it is no longer nimble with capability of being manhandled in emergency situations,
Mr Mike

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
As I have stated earlier, without electric start and balance shafts they would not leave the showroom floor. Without EFI, catalytic converter and ABS, they would not get as far as the showroom floor

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
4 members like this: Hillbilly bike, Falcon_52, BSA_WM20, BeezaBryan
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Aesthetically, i still prefer the enfield twin but it's a personal thing
It looks a bit podgy to me,

2 members like this: Hillbilly bike, Allan G
Life member
Life member
A "BSA" single that looks better from the non-exhaust side!

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Water cooling. EFI and the catalytic converter are needed for emissions. I am not sure where the ABS enters into it. ABS keeps you from kicking out the rear if needed. This is where you are giving up control for "safety".
If they had roto-molded the tank like on the Triumphs and Aprilias then they could have eliminated the seam and kept a more traditional look to the tank.
I presume the bulbous exhaust is a cover to keep people who do not know it gets hot from burning themselves on the pipe.
With 45 HP from 11.5:1 compression and 625cc it must have a mild state of tune. This allows them to bring out higher power versions for more money at no expense. KTM's 625 originally had 28 HP. The later 640 (same motor) had 54 HP.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
One thing that is indisputable, the new BSA Gold Star is making more news than any other new bike since the new Triumph Bonneville did 20 years ago.

I am seeing it EVERYWHERE, every forum, group, and page, regardless of brand, genre, etc.

The new Norton Commando under Garner didn't have this much publicity...

Last edited by GrandPaul; 12/06/21 6:43 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
1 member likes this: wadeschields
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
just as blasé as original - no plus vibes ? maybe?

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
One major difference between the Brit bikes of today and those of yesteryear is that, back in the day, they were all-purpose motorcycles; that is, the same bikes could be configured for on or off-road use or competition. Then, as one would expect, bikes became more tailored to specific purposes, especially in the competition arena. This new BSA is strictly a road bike, and it may be a fine machine, but I don't think they should have called it a Goldstar, which name was derived from an award given out to winning racers. (Frankly I don't think they should have called the B50 a Goldstar either, but that's another story.)

Last winter I purchased a 2007 Bonneville Black, and I like it much better than I thought I would. But I like it for its simplicity and visceral nature. It's the last year of the carbureted Bonnevilles and it's air (and oil?) cooled. I must add that the previous owner made a number of performance enhancements: intake, exhaust, jetting, and aftermarket ignition module, so it sounds and runs great. Comparing it to my A65, it has better suspension, better brakes, twice the horsepower, a charging system that doesn't run the battery down and a clutch that doesn't overheat in stop-and-go traffic, and it doesn't require an hour of maintenance for every hour on the road. Oh, and an electric starter. I'm also very impressed with the quality of its construction. But I like the bike for what it is, not because it looks like a vintage bike. The only downside is the weight, but as was noted above, with that much engine (865 cc), electric starter, etc., you have to expect that. But it is strictly a road bike. I have seen a couple of videos of people making desert sleds out of them, but that's only with extreme modifications. I might add that I don't like the newer Bonnevilles.

Ok, back to BSA: Different manufacturers have been making big singles for a while now, and the technology has developed to the point that they can be smooth, effective, and economical. So this could be a good choice for a BSA. I'd rather it wasn't water cooled, but it's probably necessary for that engine to do what it does. Again, strictly a road machine, and rather heavy... what would I call it? How about B65?

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
If you go to my post entitled NEW BSA you will see video showing the new range and commentry from the director of BSA.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by DMadigan
Water cooling. EFI and the catalytic converter are needed for emissions. I am not sure where the ABS enters into it. ABS keeps you from kicking out the rear if needed. This is where you are giving up control for "safety".
If they had roto-molded the tank like on the Triumphs and Aprilias then they could have eliminated the seam and kept a more traditional look to the tank.
I presume the bulbous exhaust is a cover to keep people who do not know it gets hot from burning themselves on the pipe.
With 45 HP from 11.5:1 compression and 625cc it must have a mild state of tune. This allows them to bring out higher power versions for more money at no expense. KTM's 625 originally had 28 HP. The later 640 (same motor) had 54 HP.

It is illegal to sell a bike without ABS in Europe

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Guess I will not be buying any Euro spec bikes. Do they require seat belts yet? Some twit congressman tried to pass that here.

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Guess I will not be buying any Euro spec bikes. Do they require seat belts yet? Some twit congressman tried to pass that here.
Which one ? So many to choose from...lol.

C.B.S Offline OP
Parts Dealer
OP Offline
Parts Dealer

LOL - please do tell

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R

I have a modern bike with ABS....really didn't think I wanted it or needed it. But it is a PIA to turn off the ABS so I rode it. And now, I simply don't see any need to turn it off or otherwise disable it. It works, does what it is supposed to, and doesn't affect the riding experience.

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
knuckle head
knuckle head
Originally Posted by NickL
Aesthetically, i still prefer the enfield twin but it's a personal thing
It looks a bit podgy to me,
Yes, looks a bit porky, lots of required parts that don't package densely...Well us Americans don't care about laws, strip off the large exhaust and cat convertor, fit points and a drippy AMAL, good to go...

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
1 member likes this: NickL
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N

Wait till they demand roll cages..........

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Rich B

I have a modern bike with ABS....really didn't think I wanted it or needed it. But it is a PIA to turn off the ABS so I rode it. And now, I simply don't see any need to turn it off or otherwise disable it. It works, does what it is supposed to, and doesn't affect the riding experience.
Rich,
Have you ever had any kind of panicky stop where the ABS did its thing? What was it like? I laid a couple bikes down years ago to avoid a collision. I wonder if ABS would have been helpful.

Mr Mike

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Yes I have used the ABS in a panic stop. Worst was getting cut off in traffic, both F & R ABS kicked in. Bike stopped straight with no frame. The driver that cut me off got an earful.

I have noticed the rear kick in a number of times on downhill stops with loose material on the road.

Reality is….it exists in the background for me. I ride a lot on gravel and dirt roads, don’t even notice it is there

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
2 members like this: SpeedyV, wadeschields
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
I certainly dig it as a retro bike, but as has been mentioned that radiator is kind of like "hey look at me!". I'm really curious to see and hear it run. I seriously doubt that I would be able to purchase one but it will be neat to see how this pans out.

If they are able to bring us the Goldstar, I wonder what other models they might be able to resurrect? I'm hoping we can see a decent modern Victor! Perhaps something similar to the Triumph Street Scrambler; nothing too outrageous but with a bit of off-road ability?

Clay

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Clay Carley
..... I'm really curious to see and hear it run......
I saw somewhere online that the engine is a Rotax with much in common with the BMW Funduro engine. So it's a solid engine, my son had one and one of my co-workers has one. But they say they're not very smooth at lower rpm's, kind of harsh and chain snatchy. Maybe BSA invested some of that weight in a pair of heavier flywheels to smooth that out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com