Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
wadeschields
wadeschields
NYC and York PA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 29
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (A65Matt, Hugh Jörgen), 29 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,648
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#862110 10/31/21 8:21 pm
T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
I just want to warn you guys against doing what I did a few weeks ago while trying to start my Goldstar. I was trying to start it after rebuilding the engine. I didn't have the ignition timing set right. I turned out that I was trying to start the engine with the timing set at about .450" before TDC which must be around 40 degrees. I had set it quite accurately with a degree wheel earlier on, but when the ignition didn't at first work (because my trigger magnets had to be shimmed out a bit) I had removed the trigger a few times and lost the accurate setting I had to begin with. I had figured it might still be close enough. It is hard to say exactly what the setting really was because I am using a Thorspark ignition and you can't really check the timing properly except with a strobe. The engine backfired right at the bottom of the kick starter stroke when my knee had gone pretty straight. I had the ball of my foot on the kick starter. I was wearing heavy work boots. It kicked back really hard and bent my ankle back so far that now I have to wear a boot for the next two months and it will be a lot longer before I will be starting this motorcycle again.

BSA Goldstar on eBay
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
All my new builds go on a roller starter for exactly that reason . That and I get out of puff easily .

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Oh man. I feel your pain, having done exactly that (although playing rugby) almost forty years ago.

Since I am about to rebuild my Catalina engine, I might do its first start on a long, steep hill.

Good luck with your recuperation.

Last edited by NYBSAGUY; 11/01/21 2:26 pm.
1 member likes this: Hugh Jörgen
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I love my Goldie and, so far, my Goldie loves me but at 77 years of age, whenever I read something like this I stop to think that if it were to happen to me it would most likely mean the end of my motorcycle riding days. Consequently I am seriously considering fitting an electric starting kit to my Gold Star. I have an electric roller set up that I use for recalcitrant kick-starter bikes or those that have not been started for long periods, including the GS, and it is gratifying to experience the process and the positive always successful results. I just keep the button on and wait for the rolling rear wheel and the spinning engine to fire. In all of my checking of the usual sources I've only come up with one supplier, Phil Pearson in the UK, for Gold Star electric starters retrofits. Any thoughts or experiences on this available solution? I realize it may be expensive and perhaps complicated to install but certainly worth it for some of us older riders since it's sure to extend our riding days and save us from more expensive and painful medical situations.
To Tricacent, I hope you mend quickly and fully.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Any thoughts or experiences on this available solution?

I saw one being used on the IOM, worked well but the starter to crank ratio is a bit off so you use the starter first with the exhaust decompressor in use, once the crank is spinning then you let go of the decompressor with the starter button still pressed and the energy in the crank plus the starter will start the engine.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Is Phil still selling his parts as I heard that he retired .

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I wrote him an email via his website several weeks ago inquiring specifically about the electric start kit advertised there but have received no reply. It looks like a nice set-up and the price of 1,495 British pounds doesn't seem out of line. On the other hand, Steve Tonkin did reply promptly very saying that he does not provide such a kit for Gold Stars. If Pearson is no longer in business hopefully someone else will step in and produce one for us. Perhaps someone who has one already installed on his bike can give us a good look at it and--copyright/patent(s) aside--manufacture alike kits on demand.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
His son, Phil Pearson Jnr was selling Goldie stuff including E-starts, but maybe now Phil Snr has retired, Phil Jnr has lost his supplier ?

F
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
F
It's been a while since Phil Snr retired; he doesn't respond to emails (at the old e' address) as far as I know.

It must be worth contacting Phil Jr at; [email protected]
His www.bsagoldstar.bike website is "up to date" (2021) & starters are listed - supplied with an installation jig if you're overseas.
I don't know if he is a good an engineer as his dad but I would think he must make up the kits himself these days.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com