Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
kommando
kommando
Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 77
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 22
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (bsalloyd, BSA_WM20, 2ndchildhood, DJinCA, Robbo6, BrizzoBrit, Mark Z), 23 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
This motorcycle is absolutely impossible to heave off or on the centerstand. I may be able to fix that someday but Tom gave me this side stand. He said "You'll need to make a bracket - only one hole will line up". The stand is a Superior 1M-37. I found the Superior catalog in the AMCA library and it fits pre-unit Triumphs. With some wrench turning I figured I needed a bracket of a certain shape. I traced the shape from the engine/frame mount and figured out where I needed the "third" hole for the stand. Transferred the tracing to cardboard and punched out the holes with a gasket punch. Then I traced that onto aluminum plates which I cut out with a sabre saw. After some work on the belt sander, hand filing and a small sanding flap wheel the new brackets looked pretty good. I made longer studs from 5/16 threaded rod. Had to loosen the exhaust pipe to fit everything together. The results are pretty good. The stand folds up neatly, contacting the footrest mount. I haven't tried it yet. Only had just enough time today to get it mounted.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Earlier this week I took the wheel out because it wasn't turning properly. It was just a matter of adjusting the brake correctly. But the brake was oily so it is good that I got that cleaned up. I only need it to work well enough to say "It's running!". While working on the wheel I discovered that loosening the shock bolts and removing one fender support bolt each side allows the wheel to come out from under the fender.
I made this tool to do a thread repair on this frame stud which also holds the exhaust. The stud will get replaced eventually but for now its holding fine. I had a thread die but it was round and I couldn't get it to start straight. So I made the tool from a steel bushing, a washer and a Chinese 1/4 drive socket. It worked great!
I am very close now to start up and test run (I think). My "to do" list iis getting shorter. I'll have video of the resurrected beast soon.

Al Eckstadt
Royal Enfield on eBay
O
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
Hi Al,
Wow, your Chief is coming along really well !

I think I'm going to try a Mk1A or Series 2 side stand to avoid any fabricating when I get to that point.
That mounting is nothing more than a bent piece of flat bar held to the frame with a couple of U-bolts.
I should have one collecting dust somewhere in the shop..

I do have a cast side bracket similar to what you used; but sadly...I don't have a leg to stand on !

Keep us posted on your progress..
(you're light years ahead of me, I haven't touched my Chief yet)

Happy Thanksgiving !

Last edited by oilyamerican; 11/25/21 3:30 pm.

They say every dog has his day..
Trouble is, nobody tells the dog which day it is !

Will work for Guinness smile
Life member
Life member
With all respect and concern for your project, be very dubious regarding that sidestand. I had a similar one, either Superior or MCM? manufacture that simply snapped in half overnight and dumped a Triumph pre unit on it's side! I had no reason to question the stands condition on installation, clean with little to no wear showing. It was a very clean break straight across the diameter of the leg- all I can attribute it to was metal fatigue. Since then I use a 1/2 inch thick x 1 1/4 inch wide hunk of metal with an appropriately heated, angled, and shaped bend at the end to attach a standard Triumph sidestand. This is held to the frame with u bolts and has been in use daily (while kickstarting as well) for almost 7 years.

http://inthelitterboxwithdeadstiffcatt.blogspot.com/2014/12/tink.html?m=1

Have enjoyed your newly acquired build so far, thanks for posting it!

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Well, hopefully the stand will last til actual restoration begins. I am trying to get this thing running without ordering any more parts. I had the primary cover off once, put back on and it didn't leak (used that brown goo aviation gasket sealer). But the one stud that holds it popped its threads. I installed a helicoil and put the cover back on using a different sealer - now the cover is tight but leaking. So off it will come again to be more properly sealed. Again not ordering parts - trying to re-use the rubber seal it came with.
I'm pretty sure I will end up using the Interceptor style sidestand mount - similar to Deadstiffcat's solution. But I may use a different side stand on that plate. Did I tell y'all about the 3rd time I took off with the stand down? I was lucky the first two times - no traffic. But even luckier the 3rd time. I turned right out of my driveway - turned right at the corner and went to the stop sign and...turned right onto Whitng Rd, a curvy road very popular with area bikers. Well right there Whiting has a gradual bend to the LEFT. As I entered the bend I knew exactly what happened. I slowed down a little but ended up going more or less straight off the road, and slid sideways down a 3 or 4 foot embankment coming to rest in the ditch - but still upright and in the saddle! As I sat there gathering my wits and looking for a way out, a car pulls up. Its my neighbor Leslie and she says "Are you OK?". Then she gets out of the car, climbs down in the ditch and gives me push up and out.
After that experience I got a car brake light switch, mounted it to the kickstand, and hooked it up to a red light on the instrument panel. It has done its job since then warning me when the stand is down!

Al Eckstadt
O
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
Originally Posted by Al Eckstadt
a car pulls up. Its my neighbor Leslie and she says "Are you OK?". Then she gets out of the car, climbs down in the ditch and gives me push up and out.
After that experience I got a car brake light switch, mounted it to the kickstand, and hooked it up to a red light on the instrument panel. It has done its job since then warning me when the stand is down!

Hi Al, That's a great idea putting a switch on the kickstand. I think the Japs took it a bit further on some models and had the switch wired into the ignition so the bike wouldn't even start if the stand was down.

I hope you remembered your neighbor at Christmas time, that was going above and beyond what most neighbors would do !

Concerning the stand legs breaking,it could be a couple of issues: improper heat treating of the metal , improper metal for that application, or both.
I did some machining for a local fellow that sells replica parts for vintage Harleys and Indians and the "Jiffy" stand leg had to be a specific grade of alloy steel, which was then heat treated to very strict specifications after fabricating. This of course, was to minimize leg failure on very expensive collector bikes.
That's what the trouble has been with cheap foreign replacement parts, you never know what you really have and whether it's even safe to use.

I hope your Holiday was good and keep up the good work on the Chief !

They say every dog has his day..
Trouble is, nobody tells the dog which day it is !

Will work for Guinness smile
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Kicked it over today- A might roar from both exhaust pipes - a few chugs and quit! Further prodding and fiddling with adjustments led to no better results. It will touch off, putt a few times and die. Of course you have to kick it 8 or 10 times to get it to fire. About 3 times the last breath came with a spitback thru the carb.
I have not checked the valve lash yet. But it seems to be more like an ignition timing fault. I suppose I could loosen the distributor clamp and move it one way or the other.
I am glad it is firing on both cylinders.

Al Eckstadt
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Excellent progress...... Since it did fire up but promptly died out, I'd be thinking about looking for blocked pilot jets but first, prime it good, richen the idle screws and try again. If the results don't improve, then clean your pilot jets. A little carb spit back can be advanced timing but I would say your timing is close enough for it to continue running provided the jets are not blocked.

A little story. Years ago, I rebuild an Interceptor for a fellow. Years later he became ill and a local shop was getting the Interceptor running so it could be sold. Really, I should say that they were attempting to get it running but with no success and were about to resort to the rollers. I happened by, cleaned the pilot jets, and it fired right up with no fuss at all.

Last edited by Stuart Kirk; 11/27/21 11:22 pm. Reason: Thought of something else.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I got a few suggestions from the Interceptor Group, also carb related. I'll check into the carb tomorrow. I gotta say that I don't trust the fuel line. It's very close from the fuel tap to the carb inlet and the hose makes a tight bend. I wonder if it could be pinched off enough to starve the carb? I'll reroute that fuel line and follow through with other carb checks.

Al Eckstadt
V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
Hi,
i don´t want to disappoint you, but the Interceptor side stand will not work without modification on the rear engine plates or the "mounting bar" of the side stand. The engine plates reach beneath the frame tubes where the "bar" is clamped on. I learned this with my Constellation..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by vintagebike; 11/28/21 1:17 pm.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks vintagebike, It looks like you would need longer U-bolts in addition to the welded plate. Good to know.

Al Eckstadt
V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
Yes, if you do it this way, you´ll need longer u-bolts.

cheers, Rico

Moderated by  royaloilfield 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com