Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

BLACK FRIDAY MEMBERSHIP OFFER 2021

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership Life Membership

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

New Sponsor post
The BLACK FRIDAY SALE is here!
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/23/21 5:29 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
umjwh
umjwh
Lowell, Ind
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 76
Rohan 74
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Gus_Carrero, mogmike, Julian1966, BSACliff, Bezza Frank
11,920 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (marinatlas, Magnetoman), 19 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DAMadd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Winding down my 68ish (numbers 68, tank and taillight 67) A65T project, built from a roller with motor and bins of parts (aka someone's inomplete project, I as a glutton for punishment took on) in the parts was 2 new Ewarts style petcocks with a smaller thread and adapter to the tank size. In the bag with them was 2 dowty washers the smaller size that would seem to go between the smaller part and the adapter. Should there be another between the tank and adapter? The adapter has a hex that would sit awkwardly under a much larger dowty washer and adding a flat thrust type washer would start to take increasing threads away from being engaged. Anyone have experience with the adapters? I'm of the use what you got, cheap economically challenged school and this isn't my only project ( just the closest to firing up)

65 TR6R
68ish A65T
19 Cheiftain
BSA on eBay
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Sounds as though they bought Triumph taps for a BSA tank. KC sent me a couple of old BSA taps to measure. They are 3/8 BSPP to the tank were as the Triumph taps are 1/4 BSPP.
Originally had a Dowty washer between the flange on the 3/8 BSPP tap and tank. The 1/4 BSPP taps do not have a flange, a nut instead.

Last edited by DMadigan; 11/20/21 12:41 am. Reason: corrected 1/4->3/8 and 1/8->1/4 BSPP
50+ years experience
50+ years experience
The adaptors I have used in the past for fitting 1/4"BSP Triumph petcocks to the BSA tanks, which accept 3/8" BSP Ewart's push-pull taps used a fiber washer against the petrol tank. The part number for the fiber washer is 24-8504. With no pictures, we are guessing the configuration you are trying to make work.
-Dave

[Linked Image from thebonnevilleshop.com]
D
DAMadd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Link to pics. https://postimg.cc/gallery/0mzxJTR
Just thinking even a fiber washer under the adapter does not leave many threads to engage in the tank
First pic was the stuff in a stapled bag from PO
Second showing a 3/8 dwty washer that the metal barely touches the hex
Third how it would stack.
I thinking thread sealer on the adapter and the copper sealing washer between

Last edited by DAMadd; 11/20/21 4:17 pm.

65 TR6R
68ish A65T
19 Cheiftain
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
1st pic [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
2nd pic [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
3rd pic [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

the dowty may need a washer on the hex first , under the dowty , to work by spreading the compression better .
this would use even more of the thread ... you dont have .
so ... i would try a thread sealer alone , ( not a thread locker) ... something like LOCTITE 567

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Some of the Ewarts peacocks have a much larger mating surface; peacock/washer/tank. See the large flange on this example. It uses the Red fiber washer, and of course is Fiddly about pointing in the correct direction when leakproof tight.

7F434DB4-B06A-4071-9564-69C1A919EA74.jpeg
Last edited by KC in S.B.; 11/20/21 8:59 pm.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I have fiber washers under my adapters and they work. Under the petcock nuts, you need the Dowtys, or those rubber-filled copper "squish" washers (I don't know what you call them).

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
1 member likes this: DAMadd
D
DAMadd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
That's what I'm going to do. Hate getting to this point and realizing you have to wait for parts to show up. So close to hearing that rumble. Thanks for the tips. The fiber washers are thinner than the dowty washers so ultimately enough threads engage. I use some gas and pressure resistant thread sealant (some can be seen on adapter in the pics) because I don't like repeating the same jobs over again. Learned that on my tr6 tanks. HVAC guy gave me some sealant ideas.

65 TR6R
68ish A65T
19 Cheiftain

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com