Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

BLACK FRIDAY MEMBERSHIP OFFER 2021

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership Life Membership

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

New Sponsor post
The BLACK FRIDAY SALE is here!
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/23/21 5:29 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Kevin E
Kevin E
Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 76
Rohan 74
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Gus_Carrero, mogmike, Julian1966, BSACliff, Bezza Frank
11,920 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (TR7RVMan, Shane in Oz, NickL), 16 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#863252 11/15/21 9:27 pm
O
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
O
Hello First time so please be patient. I searched the forum regarding this question and came up empty. I see a lot of first timers chastised for asking questions that have already been answered elsewhere, trying not to make same mistake.

I find myself needing to make an oil pump for one of my bikes. I was wondering if anyone out there might have dimensional drawings they would be willing to share with me.

Thanks

BSA on eBay
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi and welcome.

What kind of engine are you working with? There're lots of different ways to do oil pumps in the brit bike world.

O
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
O
Hello
Current project is a long stroke A7 but data for any unit twin or unit single should serve my purposes. Mostly interested dimensions for the drive spindle as it is not centered in the body. Deviations of only a few thousandths could cause grief.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Welcome to this board. Searching it can be daunting so don't be afraid to ask questions. Most everyone here is more than willing to help.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Obsidian Axe
Hello First time so please be patient........
I find myself needing to make an oil pump for one of my bikes. I was wondering if anyone out there might have dimensional drawings they would be willing to share with me. Thanks

Hello and Wecome here! Please explain "MAKE an oil pump..." Do you actually intend to produce your own oil pump version? Intersting if so!

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Rest assured Axe, no one has asked this question before.

Like KC, I'm a bit puzzled, especially if you're talking a gear-type pump. That is, I would think that manufacturing any sort of precise gear would require some very sophisticated machinery and skill. A piston-type pump could be simpler to make I suppose...

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Do you have an original A7 pump to look at? If not, one shouldn't be too difficult to come up with.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
On the A65 the spindle is located 0.718" from the lower stud and 0.907" from the top stud (1.625" stud spacing).
You could convert the design to a piston pump by making a six shooter barrel with a swash plate drive but easier to use gerotors. You are limited by the depth of the timing cover and length of the worm gear.

O
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
O
Hello Everyone. Thanks for the interest. I have been away for a bit. Will try to answer.

DMadigan- Thanks for the dimensions. They confirm what I had measured.

Stuart- I do have the original pump. I had planned to touch it up and re-use however after closer examination it is not serviceable. The metal appears to have, for lack of a better description, "de-laminated". I am not sure it would show in a photo so please take my word for it.

Mark and KC- I intend to make a new body and re-use the existing gears, worm, and wheel.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
"Mark and KC- I intend to make a new body and re-use the existing gears, worm, and wheel."

Oh, ok; I get it.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I am curious. Why not look for s serviceable used pump?
Mr Mike

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Obsidian Axe
Hello Everyone. Thanks for the interest. I have been away for a bit………

Mark and KC- I intend to make a new body and re-use the existing gears, worm, and wheel.

Just to confirm for the record: You are aware that “replacement” pumps using the original design are available right?
Also, there are BSA OEM Iron body pumps out there, rare to find, but do exist.
The cost it significant but likely less than the time/design effort/setup/production costs would be for your single use.
My $.02, I’d spend the rework available cash on End Feed if worried about the oil system.

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 11/22/21 4:47 pm.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
re-use the existing gears, worm, and wheel.

My experience is that the original gears weren't particularly well made in the first place, hence the pumps are lumpy when turning even in good condition.

If you're skilled enough to make a new body, to ensure good pressure, pay special attention to the clearance between the gears, body and end plates.

These pumps have a fondness for leaking oil through the spindle and between the feed/scavenge gears, so fit O rings if possible to prevent wet sumping.

As already mentioned, unless you're a dedicated machinist, it would be a whole lot easier to buy a new pump from SRM or similar.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
If I were building my own pump, I would surely want to have an oil pressure gauge on the bike when I first started it. Not an easy thing to install on an earlier BSA twin. I put an SRM pump on my 70T'bolt and was very impressed with the quality.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have never had an early twin (A7/A10) but I would have an oil pressure gauge on any plain bearing bike that BSA made. Not hard to do I had an alloy pump in my A65 and while the alloy housing seemed a bit chintzy, the gears and spindle were good. I did some very mild lapping and reassembled checking to make sure it turned smoothly and effortlessly. It made over 100 psi (momentarily) when I deadheaded the relief so I knew the pump made plenty of pressure. That's when I replaced the OPRV and sealed off the cavity for my new pressure control system described elsewhere on this site. Oil pressure is key for these air-cooled hot rods!

Mr Mike

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi All,
The longstroke engine suffered from premature cam and follower wear partly due to the absence of the "trough" as on the later engines
Oddly of late replacement cams are available due to Wassel (Hepolite) sending the wrong order or information to Newman cams, they are or were advertised as 334 cams
If I were to take on the job of remaking the pump I would get hold of a gear set from the late high capacity A65 pump in a bid to increase longevity of the rebuilt engine
BTY, I happen to have two NOS longstroke cam followers going spare if needed

John

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com