Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

BLACK FRIDAY MEMBERSHIP OFFER 2021

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership Life Membership

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

New Sponsor post
The BLACK FRIDAY SALE is here!
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/23/21 5:29 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
umjwh
umjwh
Lowell, Ind
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 76
Rohan 74
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Gus_Carrero, mogmike, Julian1966, BSACliff, Bezza Frank
11,920 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (No Name Man, marinatlas), 17 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#863137 11/14/21 4:22 am
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
"A Warm December" (1973) - looks like a B50. Hare scrambles footage may have been a body double, but it's Sidney when the helmet comes off.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
BSA on eBay
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Picture from IMCDb. According to IMDb, SP had a stunt double named Tony Brubaker. Haven't seen this film myself, is it good (apart from the bike content)?

Last edited by Pelle; 11/15/21 11:00 pm.
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by Pelle
Haven't seen this film myself, is it good (apart from the bike content)?

Single dad/doctor falls in love with woman with sickle-cell anemia. Not my cup o' tea as plots go...

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
did not make the top 10 for 1973 ... probably not the top 25 ,
... Boy Meets Girl , they fall in love , girl dies
here's the trailer .
There is some motorcycle at the beginning , 20 seconds , but Its not a movie about motorcycles .

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I had one of those for about 40 years off & on....

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mitch
I had one of those for about 40 years off & on....

What did you have one of those of? Just to be clear....

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Jon,
My kids listened to AC/DC. As long as I couldn't hear then in the next room they were OK. OTOH, history judges them up there with the best of the Rock bands.
Mr Mike

1 member likes this: Jon W. Whitley
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
B50MX

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mr Mike
Jon,
My kids listened to AC/DC. As long as I couldn't hear then in the next room they were OK. OTOH, history judges them up there with the best of the Rock bands.
Mr Mike
I never could figure out why Angus is listed in Rolling Stone's 100 great guitar players but Chet Atkins is not. Talk about a SERIOUS oversight!

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by DavidP
Jon,
Mr Mike
I never could figure out why Angus is listed in Rolling Stone's 100 great guitar players but Chet Atkins is not. Talk about a SERIOUS oversight!

Chet IS, actually. Angus is like #41, and Chet is #26.

"Good Guitarist" is like "Most Beautiful Woman" or "Greatest Athlete" or "Most Evil Bond Villain". There aren't any right or wrong listings; it's way too subjective, even if a panel of good guitarists comes to a consensus. (Although listing Jimi Hendrix as #1 is EGREGIOUS bullshyte for sure! facepalm )

I can't be right or wrong about "The Best", but I can tell you extremely correctly who the top rock guitarists are "That I Have Enjoyed Most Over the Years".

In no particular order, Randy Bachman, Angus Young, and Mark Knopfler. I've enjoyed Bachman since his Guess Who days, and Knopfler just blows me away on everything he plays. I didn't listen particularly to Young and AC/DC for 40 years after they started, but then I started to appreciate them for what they were, and I'll watch an AC/DC concert on the big screen with the sound turned up any time. They are some real showmen as well as musicians, even though every song is a 3 chord formula.

I went to a meeting of about 400 people last night. There were some young people and some old people (old even to me), and the average age was probably my age. They were playing medium volume 80s rock music on the PA system .... but when the speaker was introduced, here comes Angus Young's guitar introduction to "Thunderstruck", the volume went up to wall-inflating levels, and I was amazed at how many of that crowd was singing along, and even getting the timing on the pause before the third chorus exactly right. Jon and I are not alone, apparently.

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
You’re right L: there’s no “best.”

There are sounds you enjoy. Could be Hank Marvin, Cliff Gallup, Wilko Johnson, Django Reinhardt, or all of them and many more.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
" (Although listing Jimi Hendrix as #1 is EGREGIOUS bullshyte for sure! facepalm )"

There's a story, and I heard or read this from more than one source, that Jimi Hendrix went to see Chicago (Transit Authority), and commented, in reference to Terry Kath, "That guy's better than me!"

Mark Z

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DavidP

In this link https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/jimi-hendrix-7-37992/ it lists Chet Atkins at #21 and Angus Young at #24.

I have to call severe BS on their list and their apparent criteria for ranking guitarists. Just another BS ploy to generate clicks and satiate the mainstream type listener-follower-reader.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It's rather US-centric, apart from the British they couldn't ignore (and Angus). I'd have had Martin Barre in there as well

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The Rolling Stones list is very heavily "Rock biased", followed by "Blues". Very few acoustic players and totally void of classical players. Clarence White is listed at 52 but was doing things on the accoustic guitar in the sixties that no one else could do. Doc Watson is not even listed. As much as I like Neil Young and Buddy Holly, they were not talented guitarists.

Mr Mike

1 member likes this: Jon W. Whitley
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
gimme Eric Johnson all day. and mebby Tommy Emanuel. uuuuhhhh,,, and Jeff Beck....... no wait..........

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
The Rolling Stones list is very heavily "Rock biased", followed by "Blues". Very few acoustic players and totally void of classical players. ..... Doc Watson is not even listed. As much as I like Neil Young and Buddy Holly, they were not talented guitarists.

Mr Mike

Yep. Or Leo Kottke. That's fine if it's all rock and blues, but even so ....

Lannis

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
I am yet to find a better guitarist than one Frank Zappa
Any one got a copy of "Shut up & play Yer Guitar " ?
Nowever like comparing B33 to B34 BSA's ( which is prettier ) how do you compare slide to picking to strumming to using a mile of fancy distortions .
Pears to pineapples .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I don't know how this evolved to guitar players but musical genre preference has everything to do with who we think are good guitarists. The electric guitar evolved from the acoustic and it has all the bells and whistles that are possible when you electrify the instrument. If you are looking for mastery of the guitar look no further than Russ Baremberg, Tony Rice, Vince Gill, and Tim Stafford just to name a couple. These guys are masters of the fretboard and incorporate marvelous ascending and descending base lines, intricate syncopation and fills, impeccable timing, and still keep the melody in front of you. Obviously, I like folk, old country, and bluegrass so I have a recognized bias towards acoustic guitar players. OTOH, when I first heard Buddy Holly in the fifties I was blown away, and later on the Beatles and Stones weren't bad either. I am not a fan of Classical music and can't listen to it all day, but listen to Segovia if you want to hear the VERY BEST all-time guitar player that's on no one's list.

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I could list lots of players who are better than the ones on your list, but you won’t have heard of them.

Then there’s the ones I only listen to ironically.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by triton thrasher
I could list lots of players who are better than the ones on your list, but you won’t have heard of them.

You are right about that. I don't listen to Segovia.

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by triton thrasher

See, now, just to be more precise in the use of this wonderful English language we all use, the phraseology, rather than "players who are better than" should read "players whom I enjoy listening to more than".

The first statement is subjective, debatable, and unverifiable. The second can't be refuted by anyone .... it's an absolute truth. beerchug

Lannis

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Each year in Winfield Kansas they have a guitar flatpicking contest. You get one song and have a rhythm guitar player of your choice. A panel of judges decide. Steve Kaufman won it three times and most people have never heard of him. You ought to hear him get down on the "The Beaumont Rag". Judges rank on speed, how clean contestants pick and their arrangement......all of which are somewhat subjective...however when you win this event you own the title for a year.. ...no questions asked.

Mr Mike

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com