Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

BLACK FRIDAY MEMBERSHIP OFFER 2021

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership Life Membership

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

New Sponsor post
The BLACK FRIDAY SALE is here!
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/23/21 5:29 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 74
NickL 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Gus_Carrero, mogmike, Julian1966, BSACliff, Bezza Frank
11,920 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Chris Johnson, quinten, Doug P, reverb, BigBars, robcurrie), 24 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#862386 11/04/21 12:50 pm
Kevin E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi all,

I have read quite a few articles about the pros and cons of the Indian petrol tanks that are commonly advertised for sale on eBay.

I recently had my 1966 Lightning petrol tank re-chromed and painted by Colin, at 'The Finishing Touch'. He's made a decent job of it (see attached photo), although I believe it could have been better.

I have another incomplete bike (no petrol tank for it) that I am going to donate a lot of the good useable parts to, that have come off my Lightning during it's recent and ongoing re-build.

Because of the 'relatively' cheap cost of these Indian tanks I was thinking of biting the bullet and having a go at buying one for the other bike.

Has anyone got any positive feedback for any of the Indian sellers? I have read that some are good and some are not and it would be good if I could get feedback on which ones are the good ones?

Cheers,

Kev E

RRFA9360.JPG
BSA on eBay
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Here's my experience with tanks from Royal Chopper out of India: http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/786801/re-indian-gas-tank-saga

Long story short: 100% satisfied with my purchase of a bare metal tank (no paint, no chrome). Tunnel was wrong for the fiberglass tank (I think they used the same tunnel from the original BSA steel tanks on these fiberglass copies) but I made it work.

Kevin E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi Marc,

Thank you for the information and sharing your experience.

Regards,

Kev E

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A few years ago I bought an Indian petrol tank for my A65 on eBay, I opted for a cheap unpainted one with the intention of having it painted locally.

First impressions weren't good, the tank was full of rust and dirt and needed de-rusting internally and sealing with POR15.

The fit wasn't great either being particularly tight around the headstock, additionally, the filler neck was higher than the original which made the filler cap sit proud.

The local painter did a good job on the tank and side panels, so in the end, it turned out OK especially considering the bargain price I paid. With most Indian sellers you can make silly offers that are often accepted, so be prepared to bargain.

I think there is a great amount of variability with the Indian tanks, so try and get one from a recommended seller.

Last edited by gunner; 11/04/21 4:44 pm.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
1 member likes this: Kevin E
N
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
N
I bought a chrome 4 gall uk style tank for my 72 t'bolt about 4 or 5 years ago.
It cost less than i could have had the horrible original style one painted for.
It's well welded and it fits, the chrome isn't bad.It hasn't gone rusty yet.
It fitted straight on and it doesn't leak.
I tend to ride the bike rather than take photo's or polish it, it doesn't get entered into shows.
All in all it's very good.
I think it came from royal choppers maybe.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292692464956?hash=item4425d4953c:g:nMQAAOSwpoVdC2cc

Last edited by NickL; 11/05/21 1:49 am.
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Thinkin' the Indian tank sellers on Ebay of recent are getting the tanks form one manufacturer. Will be buying one at some point when the one I want falls back to reality as far as value.

Thought the following poem might enrich your day as it did mine. Made me almost cry:

Gunga Din
BY RUDYARD KIPLING

You may talk o’ gin and beer
When you’re quartered safe out ’ere,
An’ you’re sent to penny-fights an’ Aldershot it;
But when it comes to slaughter
You will do your work on water,
An’ you’ll lick the bloomin’ boots of ’im that’s got it.
Now in Injia’s sunny clime,
Where I used to spend my time
A-servin’ of ’Er Majesty the Queen,
Of all them blackfaced crew
The finest man I knew
Was our regimental bhisti, Gunga Din,
He was ‘Din! Din! Din!
‘You limpin’ lump o’ brick-dust, Gunga Din!
‘Hi! Slippy hitherao
‘Water, get it! Panee lao,
‘You squidgy-nosed old idol, Gunga Din.’

The uniform ’e wore
Was nothin’ much before,
An’ rather less than ’arf o’ that be’ind,
For a piece o’ twisty rag
An’ a goatskin water-bag
Was all the field-equipment ’e could find.
When the sweatin’ troop-train lay
In a sidin’ through the day,
Where the ’eat would make your bloomin’ eyebrows crawl,
We shouted ‘Harry By!’
Till our throats were bricky-dry,
Then we wopped ’im ’cause ’e couldn’t serve us all.
It was ‘Din! Din! Din!
‘You ’eathen, where the mischief ’ave you been?
‘You put some juldee in it
‘Or I’ll marrow you this minute
‘If you don’t fill up my helmet, Gunga Din!’

’E would dot an’ carry one
Till the longest day was done;
An’ ’e didn’t seem to know the use o’ fear.
If we charged or broke or cut,
You could bet your bloomin’ nut,
’E’d be waitin’ fifty paces right flank rear.
With ’is mussick on ’is back,
’E would skip with our attack,
An’ watch us till the bugles made 'Retire,’
An’ for all ’is dirty ’ide
’E was white, clear white, inside
When ’e went to tend the wounded under fire!
It was ‘Din! Din! Din!’
With the bullets kickin’ dust-spots on the green.
When the cartridges ran out,
You could hear the front-ranks shout,
‘Hi! ammunition-mules an' Gunga Din!’

I shan’t forgit the night
When I dropped be’ind the fight
With a bullet where my belt-plate should ’a’ been.
I was chokin’ mad with thirst,
An’ the man that spied me first
Was our good old grinnin’, gruntin’ Gunga Din.
’E lifted up my ’ead,
An’ he plugged me where I bled,
An’ ’e guv me ’arf-a-pint o’ water green.
It was crawlin’ and it stunk,
But of all the drinks I’ve drunk,
I’m gratefullest to one from Gunga Din.
It was 'Din! Din! Din!
‘’Ere’s a beggar with a bullet through ’is spleen;
‘’E's chawin’ up the ground,
‘An’ ’e’s kickin’ all around:
‘For Gawd’s sake git the water, Gunga Din!’

’E carried me away
To where a dooli lay,
An’ a bullet come an’ drilled the beggar clean.
’E put me safe inside,
An’ just before ’e died,
'I ’ope you liked your drink,’ sez Gunga Din.
So I’ll meet ’im later on
At the place where ’e is gone—
Where it’s always double drill and no canteen.
’E’ll be squattin’ on the coals
Givin’ drink to poor damned souls,
An’ I’ll get a swig in hell from Gunga Din!
Yes, Din! Din! Din!
You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
Though I’ve belted you and flayed you,
By the livin’ Gawd that made you,
You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

N
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
N
I remember the old man reciting that when i was a kid.
He knew heaps of Kipling, but that and 'Green eyed idol' i remember best.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
IT goes like this
There is no quality control from most vendors
The person selling them is just that a vendor and when you pay him he commissions a metal beater to make you one, usually from a photo of wat it should look like
So some will be excellent and others unuseable rubbish. all depends upon how lucky you feel and who the vendor commissions your tank from
What people do not seem to fathom is there is no factory.
They are all made in diferent workshops , usually a single person affair
Their are no detail drawings and the photos on the web are not the tank you will be buying .
I have seen a RGS tank that was perfect in every way apart from the colour but the owner just sprayed the NOS side covers to match the tank
I have seen others where the chrome was that thin you could see the greenish tinge from the nickel plating coming through
I have even seen one where you could see the brand name that was originally on the side of the 44 gallon drum ( wild guess ) that the tank was made from
Some are thicj & heay while others are so thin you can press the sides in with your palms
Most will have the wrong threads for things like badges and some even have metric tap holes .

There is a resaon why the tank costs less than you paid for the paint job on your old one & it in not because the maker was a BSA enthusiast & feeling benevolent.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
2 members like this: bon, Allan G
Kevin E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Life Member
Life Member
Does anyone else remember the video that was circulating the web a few years back that documented the India motorcycle tank industry?

Really puts the meaning of “one off” to mind.

I sent a fiberglass tank over to get copied in metal. Took a LONG time to get the new tank back but after Don Roe did his magic to it….. it has been trouble free and looks the part. You’d have to be an Irish Swede to tell the difference. But after watching that video you can see why results may vary.

Gordon in a cold NC

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........my son says..... "Everybody is stupid about something"
Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Does anyone else remember the video that was circulating the web a few years back that documented the India motorcycle tank industry?

Really puts the meaning of “one off” to mind.

I sent a fiberglass tank over to get copied in metal. Took a LONG time to get the new tank back but after Don Roe did his magic to it….. it has been trouble free and looks the part. You’d have to be an Irish Swede to tell the difference. But after watching that video you can see why results may vary.

Gordon in a cold NC

Very interesting

Wonder if the video stills exists?

Life Member
Life Member
CBS asked "Very interesting Wonder if the video stills exists?

I haven't been able to find it. I couldn't have been the only one to see it though and I'd be surprised if it wasn't linked through this site somewhere.

Pretty good quality, don't remember it being long. At one point you're going down an alley or street and there are these kids squatting outside with a block of wood and a mallet working on tanks.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/05/21 9:10 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........my son says..... "Everybody is stupid about something"
1 member likes this: bon
B
bon Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
Pretty good quality, don't remember it being long. At one point you're going down an alley or street and there are these kids squatting outside with a block of wood and a mallet working on tanks.

Gordon

Yes, plenty of videos on YT of indian backstreet workshops, making not just motorcycle spares, but machine parts and all types of general engineering etc. I have to take my hat off to them, when you see the working conditions and minimal tools they have, and probably the pittance they are paid, they do wonders.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I broke down last month, and bought an Indian tank for my B44 Victor. The tank looks great, is high quality work, fits prrfectly, but is about 3/4 inch slimmer than the original totally beat one I have. Overall very good.

61D1E69E-2728-4A54-AA40-0A3D6F4FF05F.jpeg 25CDB4FF-7FAF-4635-AF33-D3F97A20AB4E.jpeg

It can’t happen here. It might happen there, but it can’t happen here.

Bob M.
5 members like this: kommando, Allan G, Kevin E, Jon W. Whitley, bon
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior
I broke down last month and bought an Indian tank for my B44 Victor. The tank looks great, is high-quality work, fits perfectly but is about 3/4 inch slimmer than the original totally beat one I have. Overall very good.

Looks great and without telling, can't imagine anyone could tell the difference!! Good to know and would be great to know which seller you got the tank from?

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
RELATED TO INDIAN TANK: VIRTUALLY ALL THE COMMENTS I HAVE EVER HEARD START OUT WITH " A REALLY NICE TANK FOR THE PRICE EXCEPT FOR ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. THEY ALL EITHER COME WITH SEALER THAT IS NEEDED SEATER TO PLUG THE LEAK CAUSED BY INFERIOR WELDING. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I WOULD PAY MORE FOR A BOLT-ON UK-MADE TANK ANY DAY.

Last edited by Spitfire Ken; 11/09/21 12:25 pm.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

The Devil is in the details.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
1965 BSA A65 Lightning Rocket "Clubman" (restored)
1966 BSA A65 Spitfire MK-II (restored)
1967 BSA A65 West Coast Hornet (under restoration)
1975 Norton Commando Roadster (2100 miles)
2001 Kawasaki W650
DOPE
DOPE
hey folks, if you have had good luck with an indian tank, would you please post the name of the supplier, contact information, what kind of tank it was, and any info you think relevant? i have people who ask me for that information.

if you have had really bad luck, a name to avoid would also be very useful.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by Spitfire Ken
THIS OF THE COMMENTS I HAVE EVER HEARD START OUT WITH " A REALLY NICE TANK FOR THE PRICE EXCEPT FOR ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. THEY ALL EITHER COME WITH SEALER OR NEED SEATER TP PLUG THE LEAK CAUSED BY INFERIOR WELDING. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I WOULD PAY MORE FOR A BOLT ON UK MADE TANK ANY DAY.

Indeed, there is a uk maker of aluminium tanks. Can’t remember their name but a Google search should find it easily enough. From what I remember their work was really nice. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

B
bon Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
THIS OF THE COMMENTS I HAVE EVER HEARD START OUT WITH " A REALLY NICE TANK FOR THE PRICE EXCEPT FOR ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. THEY ALL EITHER COME WITH SEALER OR NEED SEATER TP PLUG THE LEAK CAUSED BY INFERIOR WELDING. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I WOULD PAY MORE FOR A BOLT ON UK MADE TANK ANY DAY.

Seeing as steel tanks are bare steel inside, they need sealing anyway or the ethanol will rot them out. I have seen several people lately having trouble with tanks on modern bikes, that had been left standing over the winter with fuel in them.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Cant help but notice that the only person on this thread who actually bought an actual tank from India, rather than repeating rumors, and rumors of rumors, was actually very pleased with the darn thing. "The tank looks great, is high quality work, fits prrfectly, ". It looks good to me as well!

As for the Indian tank being 3/4" narrower ........ well I have two, genuine period correct English tanks, and one is narrower than the other!

2 members like this: Kevin E, Hillbilly bike
bon #862736 11/09/21 10:13 am
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by bon

Seeing as steel tanks are bare steel inside, they need sealing anyway or the ethanol will rot them out. I have seen several people lately having trouble with tanks on modern bikes, that had been left standing over the winter with fuel in them.

Rubbish
Ethanol will not hurt a steel tank. only fiberglass ones and only those made with polyester resin which it disolves .

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 11/09/21 10:23 am.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Ken, the solution to the ethanol - rust problem is simple:

JUST DRAIN THE TANK.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I DON'T QUESTION THE WISDOM OF DRAINING A TANK FOR THOSE WHO ARE STORING THEIR BIKE AND FEEL THE NECESSITY. I QUESTION THE MOTIVE THE INDIAN MANUFACTURERS HAVE FOR SEALING THEIR TANKS. THEY DO IT FOR 2 REASONS . THE STEEL THEY ARE USING IS OF THE SUCH POOR QUALITY THAT EVEN AFTER THEY ARE DERUSTED THEY WILL IMMEDIATELY BEGIN TO RUST AGAIN ALMOST BEFORE YOUR EYES. I HAVE EXPERIENCED INDIAN TANKS THAT PRIOR TO SEALING HAD MORE LEAKS THAN I COULD COUNT. THEY SEAL THEM BECAUSE IT IS EASIER THAN WELDING THEM PROPERLY. I QUESTION THE WISDOM OF RELYING ON SEALANT TO STAND UP TO ETHANOL OVER TIME. IT REQUIRES "COURAGE" TO RELY ON IT WHEN LEAVING A BIKE UNATTENDED WITH HIGHLY FLAMMABLE LIQUID IN IT. HOPING ON THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE TANK YOU RECEIVE IS A GOOD ONE IS A RISKY GAMBLE. I REALIZE THEY REPRESENT WHAT APPEARS TO BE AN AMAZING BARGAIN. A LEAST I THOUGHT SO ONCE BUT I WOULD NEVER DO IT AGAIN. WHEN I COMPLAINED TO THE SUPPLER HE LEFT ME HIGH BUT NOT DRY. I RECEIVE NO SATISFACTION. FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO TAKE A CHANCE I SINCERELY WISH YOU LUCK.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

The Devil is in the details.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
1965 BSA A65 Lightning Rocket "Clubman" (restored)
1966 BSA A65 Spitfire MK-II (restored)
1967 BSA A65 West Coast Hornet (under restoration)
1975 Norton Commando Roadster (2100 miles)
2001 Kawasaki W650
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO TAKE A CHANCE I SINCERELY WISH YOU LUCK.
I took the chance and had great luck. Ordered large Spitfire tank in raw steel (https://www.royalchoppers.in/bsa-a6...ol-tank-with-cap-fit-for?search=spitfire). No leaks whatsoever:

Royal Chopper: https://www.royalchoppers.in/
https://www.facebook.com/royalchoppers.in/

Fantastic communication. 30 days from payment until the tank showed up at my door in the US.

Pressure tested twice (no repairs needed), then sealed by a local radiator shop prior to painting.

3 members like this: kommando, Gordon Gray, kevin
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Spitfire Ken, you bought those tanks a long time ago, the Indians have got better but more importantly the reliable suppliers have now been identified. Time moves on and the Indian tanks are now worth a punt as long as you stick to the recommended sellers such as pummy8081, Royal Choppers and a couple more.

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com