Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

BLACK FRIDAY MEMBERSHIP OFFER 2021

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership Life Membership

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

New Sponsor post
The BLACK FRIDAY SALE is here!
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/23/21 5:29 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
umjwh
umjwh
Lowell, Ind
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 76
Rohan 74
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Gus_Carrero, mogmike, Julian1966, BSACliff, Bezza Frank
11,920 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Magnetoman, NickL, Alex g), 16 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
THANK YOU BUT I STAND BY MY STATEMENT AND I WOULD NOT ACCEPT A TANK THAT HAS BEEN SEALED BEFORE I HAVE IT IN MY HANDS AND I CAN PRESSURE TEST IT. I DO NOT TRUST SEALANTS AS A LONG-TERM SOLUTION TO FIX A LEAKY TANK. HOW DO WE KNOW HOW LONG THEY WILL STAND UP TO ETHANOL. I WOULD ALSO NOT ACCEPT A TANK THAT REQUIRES ME TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS TO CORRECT FLAWS IN THE WAY IT FITS AS SO MANY HERE STILL COMMENT ON. AS LONG AS WE CONTINUE TO ACCEPT TANKS WHERE EACH ONE IS DIFFERENT THEY WILL NEVER MAKE THEM CORRECTLY. WHY SHOULD THEY?

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

The Devil is in the details.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
1965 BSA A65 Lightning Rocket "Clubman" (restored)
1966 BSA A65 Spitfire MK-II (restored)
1967 BSA A65 West Coast Hornet (under restoration)
1975 Norton Commando Roadster (2100 miles)
2001 Kawasaki W650
BSA on eBay
Z
Novice poster
Novice poster
Z
I have ordered two indian tanks from Royal Choppers and the quality of both is decent. One was a steel 5 gallon spitfire tank. painted and the other was a uk style 4 gallon chromed and painted tank. The filler caps on both are poor quality but no biggy as the good british ones fit right on. The paint job itself is decent on both but the paint is not quite as good as the original. Both tanks are a tiny bit heavier than the originals as the steel is marginally thicker. Niether had any rust or blemishes as received. Delivery took quite a while but well worth it for the price. I have no experience with any of the other suppliers so can't comment on them.

4 members like this: NickL, kevin, Gordon Gray, bon
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
I also have bought two painted tanks off eBay from Royal Chopper, and both are of fine useable everyday rider quality. The BSA tank I bought to give me an everyday rider replacement for the fiberglass tank. I simply didn’t want to mess with the original fiberglass and sealing for everyday use and so I removed that tank and set it aside.

If you are perfectionist it or want show quality, then you’ll want something other than an Indian tank. I went into this with eyes open and got a serviceable and useable product both times for everyday riding. Both tanks serve the bill for me. Maybe I’m just lucky, but Royal Chopper was the vendor for both. YRMV.

Last edited by linker48x; 11/10/21 1:17 am.
2 members like this: kevin, Gordon Gray
B
bon Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
What is the quality of the chrome plate like on these Indian tanks ? The price to have an original tank rechromed is eye watering. It would be far cheaper to buy an Indian tank and use that then have my tank rechromed.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sorry, been out of pocket. I got my B44 tank on ebay from https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintage_classic_parts44 Hope the link works. I think there is only one manufacturer but several vendors. Here is the pic again. The cap unit screws down onto the tank. Looks original, and there are no decent originals I could find. Comes without the Victor sticker. Got that from Peter Quick. Took 2 months to receive the tank. Did not need a liner.

B153C36C-E3C7-4D08-A1F9-49E7D1B556A7.jpeg C14E0996-8430-41EA-A1EC-90C8C9041405.jpeg
Last edited by Roadwarrior; 11/09/21 9:51 pm.

It can’t happen here. It might happen there, but it can’t happen here.

Bob M.
1 member likes this: kommando
DOPE
DOPE
wasnt there a plumley . . . or a pummy . . . or similar who sold decent tanks out of india?

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
1 member likes this: bon
Life Member
Life Member
Originally Posted by kommando
Spitfire Ken, you bought those tanks a long time ago, the Indians have got better but more importantly the reliable suppliers have now been identified. Time moves on and the Indian tanks are now worth a punt as long as you stick to the recommended sellers such as pummy8081, Royal Choppers and a couple more.

There you go kevin........that's who I went through. Good communication and always told me the truth even if I didn't want to hear it.

Tank was not lined and it's done a couple 1000 miles mounted on my C25....which we all know does not vibrate. On one of my runs I was trying my best to keep up with the bigger bikes. 65-70 for miles. Ruptured the fiberglass stock oil tank at the fixing stud ( boy did that make a mess) but the made in India gas tank is still leak free.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/10/21 5:00 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........my son says..... "Everybody is stupid about something"
1 member likes this: Kevin E
DOPE
DOPE
oh [***]

i missed that

i have no brain

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Kevin E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Once again guys, thank you for all the response.

It has certainly given me food for thought.

I am certainly not concerned with things like my bike being judged in a concours event and 100% originality.

My only concern is that parts are fit for purpose, look good and last.

I have made far too many modifications to my bike for it ever to be considered original, but as far as I am concerned those modifications have made the bike better and more reliable. A little ironic when you consider that I hardly ride it at all these days. That will all change soon when I retire and I am looking forward to getting out and about on it more and hopefully meeting up with more BSA riders and enthusiasts.

Happy and safe riding to you all.

Kev E

N
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
N
My old crate with the $350 delivered Indian tank.

https://imgur.com/a/6QvaRkw

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
Originally Posted by NickL
My old crate with the $350 delivered Indian tank.

https://imgur.com/a/6QvaRkw
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2 members like this: Mark Parker, Kevin E
N
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
N
Thanks awfully old chap.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com