Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
kevin 71
Lannis 70
quinten 61
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 22
Newest Members
Boardtrackracer, Glen, Dave100, Scott Meredith, JOB
12,219 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Tom A65LR, Steve Erickson, Lannis, R Moulding, NickL, Max), 14 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,577
Posts776,831
Members12,218
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
I hate when you "finally" decide to ask but already know the answer's probably not going to be what you want to hear.

1967 BSA B44R. I have a leak at the oil pipe (41-735). There are two sealing washers in that union/pipe (68-598)

I'd like to know if anybody has had luck replacing those 2 seals with the engine in the frame.......and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks in advance, Gordon in NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/31/21 8:27 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It's so long ago but I somehow took the stud out, I then replaced the gasket, it was a B40 in a B25 frame so no O rings like the later ones.

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Done it recently ........... a right fiddly job, Kommando is right the stud has to come out. Took me ages to get the bugger back in! Should have done it when I had the motor out ....... hey ho never again!

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
I've had trouble with those studs with the cases on the bench.

Problem I see (with it in the frame) is I only have the thickness of the nut to work with.....no more than a couple of extra threads sticking past the nut. No way ( I can see) to get a stud puller or an extra nut on.

Maybe take the nut off then move the pipe as far forward as possible then I might get pointed ended vice grips on the stud? Nope........that makes me cringe thinking about it. If it turns ( pun intended) out easily that would work........if not, it could get ugly.

The actual o-ring replacement would be easy enough. You just need to actually see both surfaces.......or you'd never know if they were clean. Lots of surface.....wouldn't take much to mess up that connection.

How did you get the stud out?

Thanks for the replies, Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/31/21 10:06 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA........my son says.... "Everybody is stupid about something"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
"How did you get the stud out?"

tough one ....... my issue was that I hadn't fitted the pipe union at all when I had the motor out for rebuild .... "I'll fit it in the frame" thought I... bad move, so I had plenty of stud to grab hold of.

This is another case of " Why the hell is it a stud and not a bolt?". Life would be much easier if it were a bolt, 5/16th UNC would do nicely (according to my parts book). The argument that the constant removing and replacing would wear out the threads in the ally hardly holds true here.

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Dave, I agree about the bolt. I routinely replace those seals but only when I’ve had the engine out of the frame.

This is a “new to me” bike and it’s got a troublesome “drip” at the pipe Union. So I grab 2 new seals and dive under ( got another bike on the lift). Crap!!!! Talk about not using a bolt……how about who put that frame cross member in there? I “could” probably fiddle around and get the old seals out and the new back in using a probe and mirror but without being able to visually inspect the two surfaces……I don’t think it’s worth the effort.

Tilting the engine forward should work. I’ll try it first on an empty set of cases and see how far I need to tilt. That darn rear engine mounting stud and I have had mixed results over the years.

I’ll still wait a bit longer to see if someone has a better plan.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Gordon in NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/01/21 10:56 am.

1 member likes this: Tommy Thomas

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com