Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (JBMorris, rweb, desco, Norri Robertson, Hugh Jörgen, BigBars, NYBSAGUY, harvey_mushman, Morgan aka admin), 36 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#860926 10/17/21 5:30 am
DavidP Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have a '72 with the feed pipe out the side of the tube. I also have a later base plate with the feed out the bottom. I'd like to convert to the Charles filter.
What must I do to plug the original feed and use the later filter? Does the feed pipe protrude inside the tube? If so, how does one cut it off?

Santa Claus wears a red suit, he's a Communist

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Triumphs on eBay
DavidP #860930 10/17/21 6:07 am
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
HI DavidP, Are you sure the frame is '72? It has feed pipe coming out of right side of backbone down low? That system was changed to sump plate fairly early in '71 production, or are we talking about something different?

The early frame the tube turns down & goes through hole in filter screen. Early version screen has hole in top to accommodate tube.

I have seen in the backbone, but never cut off the tube. If was going to do it I'd use fine hacksaw blade 32 teeth per inch. Put tape on blade for handle, teeth facing downward. Clean chips well. Then use short length of 5/16 fuel injection fuel hose with a 5/16 plug. 2 clamps tight on the fuel hose.

In my estimation, an ideal filter for the early frame is the Tricor Andy filter. Uses BSA/Triumph triple element. Same price as Charlies filter. Same good cleaning of oil. Very, very simple, clean installation. It bolts crosswise on frame to the lower front rear fender mount tabs. End cap unscrews & element slides out. Has by pass in case filter clogs. Goes in return oil line. A bit more costly, but a really nice unit, worth the cost & no need to modify frame. I would recommend getting two 90deg fittings, he will substitute. I thing makes a neater installation.

https://www.tricor-andy.com/product/oil-filter-kit-t120-140-a65-oil-in-frame-fits-on-return-oil/

Here's a link to list of parts books.

http://vintagebikemagazine.com/links/parts-books/

Don

1973 Tiger 750
L
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
L
Originally Posted by TR7RVMan
HI DavidP, Are you sure the frame is '72? It has feed pipe coming out of right side of backbone down low? That system was changed to sump plate fairly early in '71 production, or are we talking about something different?

The 'sump plate assembly' was modified at that time but it still had the frame feed pipe.

https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubb...filter-option-for-oif-triumph#Post770790

DavidP #860942 10/17/21 10:40 am
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
You need to cut the steel pipe off inside the frame so that the 'Charlie's' type filter will go in without touching whatever remains of the pipe (no need to cut it dead flush with the frame tube, as long as it's reasonably close). Obviously, you need to make sure no metal filings / chips are left behind. The outside of the pipe can be blanked off using the existing rubber hose with a bolt in the end to plug it. You can then fit whatever internal filter you like - top hat tea strainer, Charlie's or one of the car filters that are a bit larger, using a modified alloy sump plate (or a Motao sump plate if you can get one). No need to resort to "tricor andy".

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
DavidP #860970 10/17/21 3:57 pm
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Center stand can hit acorn nut on Charlie’s filter depending on year. Cure is replace acorn with thin all steel lock nut using lots of Loctite. The stems on this & Motao can unscrew if not well Loctited when unscrewing the filter top. I always counter hold filter when unscrewing which mostly prevents that.

Motao tends to hit stand as well. Overall Motao is much sturdier base. NEVER use the rubber orings on feed nipple or drain plug.

Oil feed nipple is sharp on both filters. Smooth it so it doesn’t chafe rubber into feed hose.

I’ve personally installed both. Only on T140 though. Both hit center stand.

Both use exactly same filter element. Ive found Motao element very high quality. eBay or Motao direct. Same price. eBay sold as two for $20 from Motao. Ive ran Motao in my bike several years now.

The elements are tiny, but flow is same as through screen. I did testing on this. Paper element in spin-on is same small size.

If I had early frame I’d personally use the Tricor. Don’t need to modify frame & looks factory made. But if you don’t mind cutting tube out in frame is the way to go.

The screen will still need to be cleaned with Tricor, cutting out tube not bad plan.
Don

1973 Tiger 750
DavidP #861032 10/18/21 5:31 am
DavidP Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
The bike in question is May of '72. The oil feed comes from the side of the main frame tube. I have a T140 bottom cap to use.
Oddly enough, the top of the frame tube has the later short filler, but there is still the little cross member to hold the dipstick, which will not fit under the cap. I have the later cap, with dipstick, but I'll need to cut off the cross piece in order to use it.
Probably easier to just buy the MAP filter which uses Trident oil filters, I gotta buy them anyway.

Santa Claus wears a red suit, he's a Communist

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
DavidP #861547 10/24/21 9:39 am
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by DavidP
The bike in question is May of '72. The oil feed comes from the side of the main frame tube. I have a T140 bottom cap to use.
Oddly enough, the top of the frame tube has the later short filler, but there is still the little cross member to hold the dipstick, which will not fit under the cap. I have the later cap, with dipstick, but I'll need to cut off the cross piece in order to use it.
Probably easier to just buy the MAP filter which uses Trident oil filters, I gotta buy them anyway.
That's what I do anyway, too much of a job to convert the 71/72 frame IMO. I usually fit a Norton type filter on the scavenge pipe. On the 71 BSA OIF I did earlier this year I couldn't understand why the returns never came, and I had oil all over the driveway before I came to my senses and shut the engine. Turned out the filter housing wasn't drilled all the way through. A laugh a minute this hobby.

SR

DavidP #861690 10/26/21 6:37 am
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi David, Your still going to need to fabric bracket & get hoses, clamps with MAP filter. Filter is $90 + shipping.

Tricore Andy filter has welded on bracket, comes with hoses & 2 clamps. $157 + shipping. A very nice filter kit easy to install.

Norton spin on is least costly option. Still you need to make bracket & hoses. Be advised the shown Norton kit actually has 3/8" hose steel nipples. A very tight fit for 5/16 hose, but doable. I have personal experience with this spin on. Easiest mount is 3" muffler clamp, easy to find in USA. Some 3/16 plate steel to make the offset bracket. Use loctite on filter mounting bolts & lock nuts on muffler clamp. Alloy brackets are sold for Norton filter. Not cheap. Then the Tricor Andy filter is best choice with built in bracket.

If you are comfortable with fabricating brackets Norton is very reasonable choice. Napa Auto parts has filters you can order. This probably the most used filter on your frame. Easy to fit, easy to change.

If you don't want to fabricate Tricor is filter of choice. Again, ask for two 90deg fittings.

If you are going to cut dip stick bracket out, you've modified frame. Why not take hacksaw blade & cut out oil suction tube inside back bone & put plugged off hose on outside of frame. Or if frame is apart, remove tube & weld hole shut.

By far cutting tube out is least costly option since you already have a Charlie's filter. That is if you have a Charlie's filter.... Not just a T140 bottom that uses screen.

To be clear, this is a Charlies filter. Lots of places sell them.

https://www.tricor-andy.com/product/oil-in-frame-sump-filter-kit-paper-element/
Don

1973 Tiger 750
DavidP #861703 10/26/21 3:19 pm
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I have these mounts for the 3" and 1-1/2" backbones for my HF116 filter kit
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Mount just below the air filter box or near the base plate
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

DavidP #861728 10/26/21 5:34 pm
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi All, So there we go. Making Madigan’s kit look like a good option doesn’t it.

I can say from personal experience the spin on behind back bone, is very easy & not messy to change. I always pre fill new filter with oil until it can take no more. Then spin it on. This applies to normal spin on, or cans with insert element.
Don

1973 Tiger 750

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com