Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
Broomfield, Colorado, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (76degree-triumph, quinten), 19 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
On my 64 a65 engine build is it possible to use the later clutch throw setup with the older engine. How would I adapt it if so..? Thanks!

BSA on eBay
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Do you mean the 70’ on actuating arm or the 3 spring clutch basket and components?

In both instances the answer is yes. But it isn’t all as simple as it seems.

If you are referring to the basket, then you need all the components off the later engine. Though if you have a 4 spring unit, it’s much better and many will say to stick with it.

If you want to use the 70’ on clutch ball/ramp setup then you would also need the appropriate inner cover and some longer cover screws in your correct thread form for your engine year. Then by swapping the inner timing cover you also run the risk that the in line reaming of the idler bushes won’t be in align. I’ve had a few that aren’t and one that did.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
It can be a load of hassle, as Allan says really you need the inner and outer covers
then you need the timing idler pinion, then the kickstart quadrant and gearbox one and on and on........
Plus you'll need BSF screws/allen bolts of different lengths on a few.
If you have a pile of stuff laying around you can ferret through to achieve the job,
yes , but if you don't , stick to the early setup and avoid the stress.
The early setup is ok anyway, just make sure the adjustment is correct.
Plus as Allan said, the clutch is a better unit.

Nick

Last edited by NickL; 10/22/21 11:37 pm.
1 member likes this: Allan G
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by Allan G
Do you mean the 70’ on actuating arm or the 3 spring clutch basket and components?

In both instances the answer is yes. But it isn’t all as simple as it seems.

If you are referring to the basket, then you need all the components off the later engine. Though if you have a 4 spring unit, it’s much better and many will say to stick with it.

If you want to use the 70’ on clutch ball/ramp setup then you would also need the appropriate inner cover and some longer cover screws in your correct thread form for your engine year. Then by swapping the inner timing cover you also run the risk that the in line reaming of the idler bushes won’t be in align. I’ve had a few that aren’t and one that did.

The 70 and on timing side assembly. I have a newby clutch basket fitted. Hmm. I've got one post 70 assembly in my pile but it sounds like chances are it's not worth fiddling with trying to make it work. Thanks for the input!

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I prefer the earlier straight-pull clutch release. It works just as well as the ball-and-ramp affair, with fewer parts and potential wear points. It's also simpler to adjust the linkage.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by Mark Z
I prefer the earlier straight-pull clutch release. It works just as well as the ball-and-ramp affair, with fewer parts and potential wear points. It's also simpler to adjust the linkage.

Having one of each. The earlier setup also makes for a Much lighter clutch pull. (Both fitted with 5x plate BNR clutch units)

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I do not have an early inner timing case to check but I think you only need the outer timing cover to use the ball/ramp lifter. The cable stop and the ball/ramp are both in the outer cover. Remove the lever and post from the inner cover. Could put a plug in the hole but should not be needed.
Late '71/'72 had an extra screw under the shift lever.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Check that Dave, i really don't think so.......

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com