Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
11 members (konon, Tridentman, John Harvey, Rocketman71, triton thrasher, Rohan, Motorcycles and Art, chaterlea25, Edalfa, Hugh Jörgen, Steve Highfield), 41 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Well it's been a long and glorious run on my last rebuild, but Betty Bitsa is getting tired. She's increasingly difficult to start, the plugs are slowly carbon fouling, and a cold compression test shows 75 psi on the left cylinder and 95 on the right.

I've always had a rebuilder do my lower ends, and for the last three engine jobs it's been Peter Eischen of Syracuse. But alas, Peter passed away in the Fall of 2019. (I'd like to pause here to recognize Peter Eischen. Peter was a career machinist, motorcycle dealer, builder, and former racer. He truly loved plying his trade, and was always willing to work hand-in-hand with fellow enthusiasts. I tried a couple of times to get Peter interested in Britbike and in promoting his business on the internet, but he was never interested in publicity - too busy in his shop perhaps... Anyway I'm sad to lose a friend and mechanic par excellence.)

Back to the issue at hand, I'm looking for someone in Central-to-Western New York State whom I can trust to build an A65 lower engine right. A one-stop shop that also includes boring and cylinder head work would be a plus, but there are other options for those services.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
BSA on eBay
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
EV Engineering in Michigan has a good rep on BSA rebuilds especially bottom ends. Maybe ship the bottom end and find some one local to do rebore and head work.

M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by htown70
EV Engineering in Michigan has a good rep on BSA rebuilds especially bottom ends. Maybe ship the bottom end and find some one local to do rebore and head work.

Yes, EV would be a definite candidate if I have to ship the crankcase, but I'm hoping first to find someone within a 2-3 hour drive.

I've also gotten a couple of recommendations for JOB Cycle in Connecticut, one recently from a member of the BSA Owner's Club of New England. That's a 4.5-hour drive from here, according to Google Maps.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Mark,
I am too far away but I have a guy (and his brother) that can do it all. There are shops that can do cylinder boring/honing but engine work machining is becoming a lost art as todays engines last 200 + miles before you have to get into them and then the rest of the car is worn out. I have sent a crank to Ed V with good results but shipping a whole motor is expensive.. Ed is good because he has the parts in hand to do what is needed and get the clearances and tolerances perfect and he knows these old bikes.

Mr Mike,

knuckle head
knuckle head
Mark, I can do it and it'll run great. I have access to several good machine shops in the area..

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
1 member likes this: Jon W. Whitley
M
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Mark, I can do it and it'll run great. I have access to several good machine shops in the area..

Ok! We're PMing now.

Mark Z

50+ years experience
50+ years experience
Hi Mark, I'll bet Classic Cycles Ltd, in Frenchtown, NJ could handle the job.
-Dave

[Linked Image from thebonnevilleshop.com]

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com