Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Boomer
Boomer
Orygone
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Deadstiffcatt, TomV, Brian Brown, blueboat), 23 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Can only post 5 and have about 50.... Here's a few more.

start gathering.JPG lady rider 2.JPG Start 2.JPG morning after.JPG event at SBA.JPG

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Just some back-in-the-day photos

00000068.JPG 00000097.JPG 00000086.JPG 00000042.JPG 00000001.JPG

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There must be a museum somewhere that would take an interest in these photos of the motorcycle club. The first shot looks like a scene from The Wild One.

Al Eckstadt
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Looks like an Indian “Vertical.”

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
TT,… That particular shot was an eye catcher for me! It is obviously at one of the 4 identical 1942 WW II wooden hangars I have a space in still, after 79 years of hangar decay and neglect. Sure wish I could use the time machine to go back!
I was also aware of bikes other than the H-Ds that were pushed by the Club president and H-D dealer. A lot of Rigid frames show in the less heavy category. A few I can ID, but mostly cannot. The photo group shows MANY high pipe bikes, and I had not realized it was so popular. Maybe because these guy actually DID ride the hills and do river crossings. Wish I could post a home movie of the guys returning home from the finish line Camp site next morning. It’s jumpy and moves around too much, but It shows guys doing donuts, impromptu hill climbs, and finally the trek back home with river crossings. Some don’t get through as well as others. Those were the days, and memories carried till the lights went out. Different times..

3AEEE00E-B01E-401B-8A9F-69382DDDFA8D.jpeg
Last edited by KC in S.B.; 10/16/21 3:28 pm.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Helps to discribe what these guys were doing for fun and excitement.... !!

1952 Flintlock Run SB_466x600.jpg Flintlock Trophy.JPG

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
KC-if that shot of the names on the wall is from your storage hanger it is pretty historic in its own right. Joe Foss was one of the USMS's leading aces in WW2 with 26 confirmed kills. After the war VMF115 was the first squadron to be equipped with the F9F Panther jet fighter. If that hanger is ever taken down that list should be saved.

Last edited by MikeG; 10/21/21 1:10 pm.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

1 member likes this: Chip H
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I appreciate you bringing the Joe Foss point up, not that the others listed were lesser of course! I have shared that and other photos with the Airport Admin., and aside from Wow!, that’s the end of any reaction. Always thought how cool it would be to see something a Father had left behind in a that period of his life at that age.
The drywall was crumbling, and the small Co. I was working with had rented some space in that hangar. My pilot suggested he could help with making the small corner area suitable as a Mx office. We think it must have been a small store room at some point. As we cleared the studs of broken drywall, several Graffiti areas showed up. (afterwards wondered what we missed?) It stopped us for awhile, just trying to decide if we should tell anyone and risk the plan be stopped. I photographed it all to record, and we used plywood instead of drywall in that area. It could be unscrewed to expose if necessary. While still open, my friend (BB board member) walks in, glances at the list, and says, ”Oh, Joe Foss!, you should look him up!”. There was a Coke bottle from the long gone Santa Barbara Coke bottling Co. with a cigarette butt in the bottom. A perfect period piece, evidence of guys hiding out in the corner, marking up the walls, feet up on the studs, playing with knives, and smoking 10 feet away from a “No Smoking, by order of CO” sign! To me it was a killer. I spent a lot of time posting in the local rag hopeful to find a relative, just like the MC photos. No real interest. I put the photos in an envelope, and tacked them to the wall, with a note “behind this wall is history”. As far as it ever went. Most of the Redwwod posts and actual 2"x4" wall studs have initials and show knife throwing practice. As this is 1 of 5 Hangars, on this side of old Hwy1, I always wonder what else is covered up. Not to long ago, the airport tore down a larger "bomber" hangar, across the street. They did it quickly, with no fanfare that might attract historical interest and protest. That sort of proved to me they are aware. Here's a few more, Time moves on.

LayOut.JPG Top.LH2.JPG Bot.LH.Close2.JPG Bottom.Mid.JPG sill.JPG
Last edited by KC in S.B.; 10/21/21 3:15 pm. Reason: Add'l photos

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by KC in S.B.
......My pilot suggested he could help with making the small corner area suitable as a Mx office. We think it must have been a small store room at some point. ........

Hi KC. During the early nineties, I worked for Nichols Aviation a small outfit based in that same run down corner of the hangar you showed me a while back. Jim Nichols, the owner, piloted a Merlin and did GA repairs. Most of what I did was 100 hour inspections for Above All Aviation, the flight school next door.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Yep, I used to see Jimmy at the IA renewal meetings, we came in to H2 about same time he “retired”, at least at SBA.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
KC-if you ever see any reference to VMB413 [/i]please[i] document it for me. It was my father in laws outfit. 50 missions in the tail gunners position of a PBJ-1 (B25) between 44 and 45 and home he came. Very proud of his service, but like my father, would not talk about it unless specifically asked.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Sure will be aware! VMB413.

Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
KC, all pretty interesting stuff here. To MIke's point, perhaps if the airport/hangar owner/manager isn't interested in doing anything to preserve the historical aspects of this stuff, you could take it elsewhere. Just for one example of where- try the Smithsonian Air & Space museum. I for one feel like too much stuff falls thru the cracks. This is history of reasonable importance, it seems (to me at least). I agree it'd be great to have this stuff preserved

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

1 member likes this: Tommy Thomas
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
There's other important stuff happened here in sleepy Goleta (SBA airport). Rodders Journal Vol#14, "The 1st Drag Races". wish I could post a scanned article here. Will email to any that request/reply: to [email protected]
Here's the best teaser I can work up here, a literal "Cut&Paste", I'm a Dinosaur. Stuff like this is lost to time as the generations die off.
The Original spot on the earth is still there, and easy to ID by a Street sign. I parked there one day, just to say I did......

Goleta Drags Info page.jpg Goleta drags start sign.JPG

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com