Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
MikeJ
MikeJ
San Mateo, CA USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (harvey_mushman, BigBars, Bob Fletcher, Morgan aka admin, Nate stuch, L.A.B., Hugh Jörgen), 33 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#861017 10/17/21 10:33 pm
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Each year my beloved bike sits in an old lawnmower shed- Un-heated - Each Spring the gearbox oil shows off grey condensation slurry.
Will a proprietary google sourced cover help in this regard?
Next option is to rent an enclosed - heated storage - worth it ?
Any & all - appreciated. . . . . . .[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
Triumphs on eBay
L
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
L

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I gotta get one of those bags.
Nice bike JB👍

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Try draining the oil out and leaving the drain plug and fill plug off so air can circulate. I drain the fuel tank and carbs and let it breath all winter. The desert southwest is not known for humidly so things last forever.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
If you value the bike. rent the heated closed storage. Damp air causes many more problems than just the moisture in the gearbox.
Here in northern Illinois, winter can be (and sometimes HAS been) as long as five months.

If you do store the bike, either in a heated or an unheated facility, wipe grease on all the chrome parts and any bare metal you can see.
Fifty tears ago, when I had a car with chromed wheels, this was the best prevention for rust and corrosion for that vehicle, which was outside all winter.

W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
dito Irish Swede. heated is good but the garden shed gets condensation and, among other things, moisture sitting at the bottom of a rim that isn't turning doesn't like that so now I wipe everything with the oily rag if I have to leave a bike unheated. My brother in law has a buddy who leaves his bike in the shed outside but, not unlike boat owners, has a light fixture with an old fashioned light bulb on all the time tends to improve the situation and he has no rust. If I have to leave it out of the house, I also remove the carb and fuel tank along with the battery and bring them all inside after changing the oil.

But, of course, as many do, the best place to store your bike is in the house in the living room where it will stay comfortable and maybe even get some attention.

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
1 member likes this: JBMorris
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
60W old school light bulb on a timer to come on overnight under the sump with a breathable cotton sheet over the bike works, The Vac bag works too but only if the desiccant is dried out in an oven before insertion, repeat as required.

1 member likes this: Al Navecky Jr
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Fifty tears ago, when I had a car with chromed wheels,

painted the inside of the rims to match Vincent style - also to stave off rust popping up thru - used clear for the actual brightwork.

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
I will add another suggestion or two:

Support the bike so it's wheels are off the floor. to prevent tire damage, and so you can turn the wheels a few degrees every few days. That will prevent the bearings from taking a "set" in one position.

Also, kick the bike over at the same time, to keep the pistons and valves from being in one place too long.
Also it will circulate some oil in the system.

P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
I had one of those VAC Bags a few years back. I felt it was ok if you are laying a bike up for a long time, but just to "over winter" (with the possibility of a few fine day winter rides) it is a real pain getting the bike in and out. Very easy to stick a brake level through it too.

If you are going to follow Irish Swede's suggestions too , then you will very quickly get fed up with taking the bike in and out of the bag.

I also think that I could have gone to my local furniture store and probably got a plastic bag off a mattress for nothing (about the same size and nearly as thick). You can buy the silica gel separately off eBay.

I have the luxury of a dry garage, although not heated. I find the best way to maintain the bike through the winter is to check on it weekly. Wipe over with an oily rag but let the air get to it. If it is uncovered it is easy to rotate the wheels, start it, or even go for a ride! If you cover it up it is easier to neglect.

If you are adamant you want it covered, I'd be inclined to build a box with triple wall plastic (conservatory roof type stuff) or similar. Easier to roll the bike in and out. The 60 watt light bulb would keep that warm. Or make it out of celotex insulation boards...that would stay very warm. I still think you want some air circulation though.

1963 3TA (TwentyOne) Half Bathtub
1968 T120 Bonneville
(Long gone - 1975 Puch VX50, 1976 Suzuki BZ120, 1983 Honda CBR125 TDC, 1991 Honda CBR600)
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Seal Skin Supreme™ is the most powerful cover available designed with GORE-MAX™ technology and backed by a 10 year warranty. It’s waterproof, durable and provides excellent protection against sun, rain, hail & snow. GORE-MAX™ fabrics promote superior air circulation preventing mildew, odors and paint damage. Seal Skin Supreme™ designed with GORE-MAX™ is an elite all-weather cover built to last.

GORE-MAX™ Technology (outperforms 5 layer covers)
10 Year Warranty (covers rips, tears, waterproof and breathability)
Protects Against Extreme Weather (sun, rain, hail and snow)
100% Waterproof
Hail Resistant
UV Resistant
Soft Fleece Interior Lining
Breathable (protects against mildew, odors and paint damage)
Ultrasonically Welded Seams
Snug Fit (built in elastic hem)
Reinforced Grommets (free lock and cable kit included)
Free Shipping
Free Storage Bag and Antenna Patch

Going to start with this one- seems a decent deal. . . .

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Does it rain, hail and snow in your lawnmower shed? :-)

Nice cover and not too expensive but you are paying for outdoor weatherproofing. Not sure that will address your condensation concerns.

1963 3TA (TwentyOne) Half Bathtub
1968 T120 Bonneville
(Long gone - 1975 Puch VX50, 1976 Suzuki BZ120, 1983 Honda CBR125 TDC, 1991 Honda CBR600)
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I am also in the north east of US.
I have to keep some of my bikes in an unheated garage.
I wipe over all the alloy and chrome outside surfaces with ACF-50 (the only preservative approved by Rolls Royce aero engines for remote storage of spare engines).
I then cover the bike in an old cotton sheet (this is just to keep dust of the bike)-- this allows air circulation and so the air around the bike "breathes".
Then change all oils in the Spring.
Works for me!
Remember--these bikes were designed for all year round use in damp rainy Britain by working class guys who used them every day to get to and from work and who rarely cleaned them.
They dont need mollycoddling!

knuckle head
knuckle head
My opinion, if the gearbox oil shows signs of water in the oil in the springtime, the oil was contaminated when the bike was put away in the fall...Oil is does not attract water from the air ? I base this on the collection of running vintage vehicle I had that were stored in unheated garages and sheds..

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
like tridentman, I just cover my bike with an old sheet or worn-out quilt to keep the dust off it.

I have a tractor that sits outside all winter, under a "waterproof" cover, yet there's always water on the tractor in the spring.
I can only assume the cover is collecting condensation under it, and that's not good.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Mollycoddling?

I plead guilty. All the bikes are well cared for in the HVAC equipped garage. The lack of temperature and humidity change has saved me untold hours of storage maintenance and cosmetic labor over the years. Once I'm done with a project I like to appreciate it's stability!

Bob V

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Our garage is unheated. I clean the bike and spray it all over with Muc Off Bike Spray. I have also used ACF50 in the past. I bought an Oxford Dormex cover last year which is breathable but I'm not sure if this really made any difference. It did keep the dust off!

I stopped riding my bike in the winter because the salty roads here in England really ruined it cosmetically however much I cleaned it.

Dave

Last edited by dave jones; 10/20/21 8:01 am.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com