Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
Broomfield, Colorado, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (76degree-triumph, quinten), 17 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Everything goes up but my fixed income, FI. ( Used to mean Fuel Injected )

Priority Mail _ 2021 Size
Flat Rate Envelope 12-1/2" x 9-1/2" or smaller $8.50
Legal Flat Rate Envelope1 15" x 9-1/2" $9.00
Padded Flat Rate Envelope1 12-1/2" x 9-1/2" $9.30
Small Flat Rate Box 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" Inside
8-11/16" x 5-7/16" x 1-3/4" Outside $9.20
Medium Flat Rate Boxes 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" Inside
11-1/4" x 8-3/4" x 6" Outside
or $16.25
13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" Inside
14" x 12" x 3-1/2" Outside
Large Flat Rate Boxes 12" x 12" x 5-1/2" Inside
12-1/4" x 12-1/4" x 6" Outside
or $22.65
23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" Inside
24-1/16" x 11-7/8" x 3-1/8" Outside

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Just sold a tool on ebay. USPS First Class was formerly $3.46 (or close to that) ...now its $6.11. Yow!

Al Eckstadt
Odd member
Odd member
KC in S.B lad, you should try getting stuff from the USA to the UK, them Bar Stewards down at the post office think up a price, then call it Customs charges. No rhyme nor reason to what they say is the cost, depends on the bloke printing out the receipt I think. Some times if you're REALLY lucky, it's his tea break and the parcel gets through and you only pay for the shipping. But that's getting REALLY rare now..... cry

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Hi Shaun; here is somewhat similar but even worst regarding stopping things and the taxes are 60% over the cost + shipping.
Regarding shipping from UK: cannot get it; here last examples: motorcycle rain suit 15GBP shipping; leather suit 120GBP shipping!; crank 80GBP ¿?! by private courier; with Royal mail 289GBP!!
Still I have the crank in deposit; customs do not want to let it enter and I am paying for the parcel there...

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
You Guys over there have examples over the top, and I realize mine don’t compare. Not sure how that will hold true in say,…a year or so. Our side is changing also.
On the eBay topic: My experience has always been that their “shipping calculator” was messed up. I had gone to extensive trouble to bypass it, which is a lot of effort. Lately, I hate to admit, the eBay shipping rates have been better than I can do myself shopping between USPS, UPS, FedEx. They obviously have a rate with the shippers, and it has been better, at least a few times lately. Holding my breath in the future…..

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
It's weird, right? And yet delivery times are getting longer and longer...
If I didn't know any better I'd think that the USPS was being intentionally sabotaged from within by someone heavily invested in a competitive service to serve a nefarious purpose.
But that's just silly talk.

Absonotly.
2 members like this: Gordon Gray, ricochetrider
Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
Originally Posted by PINEMONKEY
It's weird, right? And yet delivery times are getting longer and longer...
If I didn't know any better I'd think that the USPS was being intentionally sabotaged from within by someone heavily invested in a competitive service to serve a nefarious purpose.
But that's just silly talk.

The currently appointed Postmaster General
Claims it to be more efficient to slow down the mail , who can argue with that !

1 member likes this: PINEMONKEY
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
RIGHT!
Our former President had a feud with Amazon so he decided to install a Postmaster General with great stock holdings in the competition.
Slow service and increase costs, that's a GREAT way to improve a business.
At least my postal person doesn't leave my package on the porch across the street. crazy

Flat-rate boxes used to be a good deal for shipping. Unfortunately many of the items I might wish to sell on eBay are pro audio gear. They never made a box to ship a piece of 19" rack-mount gear.

Santa Claus wears a red suit, he's a Communist

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
knuckle head
knuckle head
I have no complaints with the local post office...As noted, mail is slower....Delivering envelopes from mail box to mail box is not profitable for reasonable postage rates. The postal carrier person and UPS driver make a similar wage package..UPS makes a decent profit on package delivery...The mail is a necessary govt provided service, does any tax payer funded service make a profit?

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
The US Postal Service is and always has been one of the best-loved “government” services. Especially in rural areas where people count on things, depend on things arriving at their mailboxes in a timely manner.
Wanna make America great again? Restore the postal service to its former level of pre-sabotage efficiency and you’ll have a solid start.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

2 members like this: PINEMONKEY, Gordon Gray
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I always try to specify shipping or receiving bu USPS. A couple of weeks ago I sent a small part to Aberdeen Scotland from Oregon and it arrived in one week.

Bill B...

Boomer
Life member
Life member
If possible, I send a telegram directly to "Trusty Triumph" in Meridian. That way I know they'll get it on the next steamer across the Atlantic- has cut down the shipping time from the company to about 3 months.

E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
I have never found the US mail to be reliable. After a number of disasters early in my career, I began telling clients that if what was being sent was important, it was going to be sent by Fedex or another overnight carrier. Of course there have been problems with them too!

Ed from NJ

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
I have no complaints with the local post office...As noted, mail is slower....Delivering envelopes from mail box to mail box is not profitable for reasonable postage rates. The postal carrier person and UPS driver make a similar wage package..UPS makes a decent profit on package delivery...The mail is a necessary govt provided service, does any tax payer funded service make a profit?
It's not a fair competition. The Postal Service is required to serve every address in the country. Even the other services have found it cheaper to use USPS for the final delivery of packages. If I lived 10 miles south from here I seriously doubt that I'd ever see a FedEx truck at my house.
There are some who think that every service of government should make a profit. If they can't do that directly they will do it by requiring pension funding obligations which no private business could meet, if indeed they even offered pensions, or installing saboteurs to head the service.

72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
1 member likes this: PINEMONKEY
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Overall I think all of the shippers do an excellent job. I do remember when, "expect 6 to 8 weeks for delivery," meant just that.

72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
2 members like this: PINEMONKEY, Gordon Gray
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
I still find it amazing that I can slap a stamp onto a letter or a bit of postage onto a package and have it arrive at a destination on the other side of the country in less than a week. I've had a few minor mail disasters of the decades but I remain an ardent supporter of the USPS.

Absonotly.
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com