Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership
New Sponsor post
2022 Classic Triumph Motorcycle Calendars
by C.B.S - 09/28/21 6:22 pm
New FAQ post
How To: Add attached images in between text
by Morgan aka admin - 10/03/21 9:46 am
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 82
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
koan58 20
Newest Members
Pratty, AndyW, ChrisTriumph3, GLENN'S PLACE, Smartfella
11,876 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
9 members (RPM, Blown Income, Chip H, Lannis, trig, rick e., The Bonneville Shop, gunner, L.A.B.), 22 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
G
My bike is a 1968 stock A65L. I am pretty sure the electrical system hasn't been messed with in any way (other than me putting in new points some time ago).

Bike was down for a while as I was just not riding it and had to sort out leaky petcocks.

Got if started easily once I had the petcock issue sorted. Ran normal then just stopped. It was as if I switched the ignition off. Now turning the ignition does nothing. I think the problem is the switch itself. It feels loose when you turn the key.

Two things I could use some help on:
First, I'd like to bypass the ignition switch, in effect hotwire it, to see if the switch is in fact the problem. The switch has 3 blades/terminals. How would I bypass the switch? Which terminals would need to be 'jumped' to each other? Could I burn anything up doing it wrong?

Second question is how in the world do you get the ignition switch all the way out if I need to replace it? I can get to the by terminals by moving the Zener diode and heat sink aside, but no room to remove the switch doing just that.

Thanks in advance!

BSA on eBay
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
to remove the switch you also need to remove the steering lock plate. some less scrupless people remove the plain tab on the opposite side, but its much neater to do the latter.

If your going to hotwire it, put a wire direct from the battery -ve to the ignition coil -ve. this will give you a permanent connection until it is removed and will bypass all other aspects of the electrical system. dont worry about disconnecting anything else at this time, it won't make any difference, whether the key is switched on or not.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

G
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
G
I tried jumping to the coil and still no power. At least no consistent power. I got a momentary power up. In searching for a ground fault I noticed the battery was reading inconsistent voltage. So after a lot of messing about it came down to the battery. I've heard of batteries shorting out internally so that must have been it. Put another battery in and all is good.

Upside is I pulled the seat off the bike and found the oil tank steady bolt was missing. Had a nut and bolt and spacer that worked better than nothing for now. And also cleaned her up a bit when the seat was off.

Still don't know if I'm sure how to get the switch out, but I'll cross that bridge when I need to.

Thanks for the response.

1 member likes this: leon bee

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com