Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership
New Sponsor post
Closeout Sale - BSA Apparel & Merchandise
by C.B.S - 10/23/21 4:05 pm
New FAQ post
How To: Add attached images in between text
by Morgan aka admin - 10/03/21 9:46 am
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Magnetoman
Magnetoman
U.S.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 87
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
koan58 21
NickL 15
Newest Members
RolandM, David Baines, Pratty, AndyW, ChrisTriumph3
11,878 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Magnetoman, Boomer, Deadstiffcatt, TR7RVMan, tiger_cub), 31 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#860480 10/10/21 11:16 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hope I'm not over doing it with posts. The gas tank is rusty. The PO treated the tank with a sealer but I have the impression that he did not properly (or at all) treat the rust. I cleared the sealer with Goof Off - I had most of a gallon on the shelf and it worked really well. I used a couple small handfuls of the angular stones from the driveway in with the Goof Off and sloshed and shook it. So far so good - no leak detected as yet.
Inside the tank has rather heavy pitting plainly visible. But I don't see any scaling or flakes. How should I procede from here? I have some cleaning vinegar. Would that be a good treatment for the tank? There's also some muriatic acid but that stuff is maybe too strong. After the rust treatment I want to use Ospho to convert the iron oxide to iron phosphate. I hope when I'm done it will be clean enough to use without using a sealer.
Al

Al Eckstadt
Royal Enfield on eBay
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Two treatments with gravel and solvent (Goof Off). Last time I dried the tank in the sun - this time it was later in the day so I used a shop vacuum in reverse (exhaust port). Works well.
Still no sign of leaking.
So now you can see the inside of the tank. Do you think a soak in vinegar will clean it up such that it will be able to be used as is? I really don't want to seal the tank if i don't have to.
Still waiting for carb parts order.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
This is just the stuff that came out before even treating the tank.

First rinse contents including stones.

Dark spot is still wet - another 20 minutes of blower vac and it was all dry. (edit) Looks like the surface if the moon in there.

Last edited by Al Eckstadt; 10/11/21 11:44 pm.

Al Eckstadt
D
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
D
My worry would be depth of pits, and a severe weakening of the basic metal that could lead to vibration cracks and pinhole leaks, hence I would want to use a liner.

O
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
Gotta agree with -stiffcat.
IF and that's a big IF you get every bit of corrosion out of there, you may find that some spots are only a few thousandths of inch thick.
Better to be safe than sorry and put some lining in there.
I've used Caswells , but only on some fiberglass tanks..

They say every dog has his day..
Trouble is, nobody tells the dog which day it is !

Will work for Guinness smile
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I will leak test it and if ok will use it as is - for my test ride only - which should be in a couple weeks. But I will plan on Caswells before the bike hits the streets. It doesn't hurt that Caswells is in Lyons NY about a half hour drive from here.

Al Eckstadt
O
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
I ruined a decent STEEL Norton Interstate tank by dumping a witches brew of chemicals ranging from Limeaway to Oven cleaner in it, then forgetting all about it.
When I remembered to check some months later, the bottom was eaten through. Still kicking myself over that one frown

They say every dog has his day..
Trouble is, nobody tells the dog which day it is !

Will work for Guinness smile
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
The metal those tanks are made of was thin,i've used Caswells,i think there idea is it makes a tank within the tank,
and so that surface is ok to take it as is.May need a little thinner to get full coverage though as one of mine was left
untreated.But hey that may have been my fault too.

Last edited by Royaloilfields; 10/12/21 10:20 pm.

Moderated by  royaloilfield 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com