Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Boomer
Boomer
Orygone
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Shane in Oz, quinten), 19 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#860442 10/10/21 2:39 pm
O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
Some nice Brit bikes stuck between a bunch of rice burners..

Mach IV Motors Auction

They say every dog has his day..
Trouble is, nobody tells the dog which day it is !

Will work for Guinness smile
1 member likes this: Chip H
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Rough but an excellent candidate for resto or custom.

https://www.proxibid.com/BSA-A50/lotInformation/63596647

[Linked Image from images.proxibid.com]

[Linked Image from images.proxibid.com]

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Yeah.... a round tuit.

V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
Speaking as an Australian who knows nothing of US vehicle paperwork, what is this TITLe business? With every bike in this auction there is a notation about the title, either YES, NO or TBD.
I was under the impression that the title was a certificate of ownership. How can an auctioneer present a bike for sale if the consignor can't provide proof of ownership beforehand? How can they just sell it without a title? And what does a title labelled TBD mean?

One could be tempted if something interesting popped up in an auction like that but what can of worms are you diving into?

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration

https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubb...-a-legal-vermont-registration#Post734627

Based on a bill of sale, a stolen background check is run.
If clean, a title may be issued.
It varied state to state, Some local juristictions are less frustrating to work with.
Helps to know and be known by the local bureaucrats.

Changed a title from Ohio to PAonce at AAA.
At sale we have a title company down the street for the transfer to the new owner.
My cars were the same, with good titles.

For many of my bikes, not modern titled, (the bone yard) , I have 'pink slips' and do not expect much trouble converting those to modern titles for road registration.

I have not used Vermont, but rag chews say it works well if there is only a bill of sale.

O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
I've used this outfit with success:

https://www.motorecyclenow.com

1 member likes this: Chip H
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
That 'Constellation' looks like what's left of a Continental GT!
Be still my adolescent heart!

O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
This seller broke apart a beautiful little Continetal on eBay. Better than the one on offer in the public auction.
And he just recently stripped down a 1956 Enfield Indian Tomahawk..
I doubt he EVER realizes as much profit from the parts as he would have if he just flipped the whole bike.

Have a look:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=363573647536&_ssn=machivmotors&_osacat=0&hash=item54a6ad98b0%3Ag%3AEUIAAOSw%7EI9hYa28&_odkw=&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=royal+enfield&_sacat=0

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Villiers----when I moved to US from UK it took me a while to get my head around the vehicle systems in US.
To start with in contrast to UK where there is one authority and one system for the whole country in US each state has its own system--- and they all differ one from another to a greater or lesser degree.
Most states issue titles for motorcycles. However some states did not issue titles for motorcycles until the 1980s/1990s but just issued registrations (the US name for the annual vehicle tax).
So if you have a classic Brit bike in ,say, Vermont you quite legally will have no title, just a registration and plates.
If you live in ,say, New Jersey as I do then your bike needs a title irrespective of age.
Then we come to the interesting bit--when a guy who lives in New Jersey buys a bike from a guy in Vermont.
There is no title to transfer--just a registration----or maybe not even that if the bike has been unused at the back of a garage for the last 20 years.
However states such as Vermont will issue a registration to just about anybody---they see it as a good route to tax revenue.
If you are me you then have to take that Vermont registration to DMV in New Jersey and ask them for a NJ title.
If the person is in a good mood then you will get a title.
If they are not then they will make up a reason on the spot why they cant give you one (personal experience)

Why do some bikes have titles and some not?
Sometimes if the bike has been hauled out of the proverbial barn the paperwork has long since disappeared so there is no title and if you buy it you need to go through the Vermont style route or a complicated process that is unique to each state.
BTW--- TBD normally stands for "To Be Determined"---they havent figured out yet whether there is a title or not.
HTH

Last edited by Tridentman; 10/12/21 8:08 pm.
E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
I would also point out in response to Villers question, in most, but perhaps not all, US jurisdictions, as long as it is not stolen, there is nothing illegal about selling or buying a vehicle that does not have a title or other state approved indicia of ownership. The purchaser may not be able to register the vehicle or use it on the road (or in some states even off-road), but selling and purchasing it is not illegal. Most of my bikes were purchased without titles (basket cases tend to lack them), and I have managed to title all of them.

Ed from NJ

2 members like this: Chip H, Jon W. Whitley
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Tridentman
So if you have a classic Brit bike in say Vermont, you quite legally will have no title, just registration, and plates.
If you live in say New Jersey, as I do then your bike needs a title irrespective of age.

Why do some bikes have titles and some do not?
Sometimes if the bike has been hauled out of the proverbial barn the paperwork has long since disappeared so there is no title and if you buy it you need to go through the Vermont style route or a complicated process that is unique to each state.

In Vermont, if you purchase a vehicle from out of state or build one up from parts or even resurrect one from in-state, if it is 15 years old or older, the state will not issue you a title. You will only get registration and plate(s). You will still be the rightful owner until you decide to sell and transfer the registration to the new owner.

In Florida, they don't care how old the vehicle is. If it had a Florida title and or was another state that only issues titles and you are now the new owner, they want the original title, signed by both parties too. If it is rightfully yours and you are transferring a valid Vermont registration, you will receive a Florida title and plate.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
New Jersey does or did, have it that a seller could sign off on a title without being in front of a notary as a "witness" that the signer was the legal owner.
Other states, PA for example, requires a buyer and seller to sign a PA title in the presence of a notary and both parties must present legal ID's.
If a vehicle comes from another "notary" state, the title must be signed in the presence of a notary in that state and notarized (stamped) before any PA notary will do anything with it.
At least that is what MY experience has been. I just went through it with a bike coming from Texas.

Even worse, is where you buy a vehicle that the owner of record is deceased.
Then you have to track down the next of kin or whoever originally had power of attorney for the deceased's estate.
I bought a bike that came with a PA title and a copy of the PO's death certificate and it still wasn't good enough.
I was told I had to contact the deceased's wife who was still living and have her assign this title to me.
She never replied to any of my inquiries, so I gave up.
I talked to a local JP (justice of the peace) about it and he told me the only other option is to open a court inquiry and post public notices giving anyone the opportunity to come forward and prove their right to claim ownership. If nobody comes forward, the judge would assign the vehicle to me.
If somebody did come forward and could prove they had a legal claim, then I'd be SOL and have to forfeit the bike.
Of course court costs would be at MY expense, win or lose.
The guy at motorecylenow says he can get it through without too much trouble, but I dunno.
It all depends if the title shows up in a search at the DOT. If it was archived, (taken out of active status after 15 or so years) then it may fly under the DOT radar. But if it shows up, they'd probably reject the application for transfer.
And TBH, I doubt the bike would be worth that much more with a title.

Last edited by oilyamerican; 10/12/21 9:44 pm.

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com