Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership
New Sponsor post
2022 Classic Triumph Motorcycle Calendars
by C.B.S - 09/28/21 6:22 pm
New FAQ post
How To: Add attached images in between text
by Morgan aka admin - 10/03/21 9:46 am
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Pennsyltuckey
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 82
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
koan58 20
Newest Members
Pratty, AndyW, ChrisTriumph3, GLENN'S PLACE, Smartfella
11,876 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (gunner, L.A.B., Blown Income, Tridentman), 26 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#860601 10/12/21 5:35 pm
R
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
R
Hello everyone! I just inherited an old Brit bike from a neighbor for the good price of free; however, he has no accompanying information on it. Unfortunately, it is also engineless.

The frame numbers are A50C.1419 - a very rudimentary search led me to believe it’s a 1966 BSA. Does anybody happen to know what the 1419 means? I can’t seem to find that information anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

BSA on eBay
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
The 1419 is the serial number, in that respect it is unique. The model off the line before it would have been 1418 and the one after would have been 1420. The engine might have a different number, 66 was the first year of the engine and frame having the same serial number designation. Before that all frames started A50 the C I think stood for Competition/sports frame.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

R
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
R
Thanks for the response! When you say all frames started with A50, does that mean that it may not be from 1966? It’s in pretty rough shape and is a little hard to tell exactly what year it is by comparing this rust bucket to an actual restored bike.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A50C dates it as 66, A50B was 65.

R
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
R
Thank you! That matches the information I found. I’m very excited to start tinkering on this thing. It looks like finding an entire engine is not going to be easy; the guy who runs the local motorcycle pick-a-part won’t even part out his old Brit bikes - I’m assuming because of their value.

Thanks again for the help!

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Rusty, finding an intact, complete and decent engine you might have to kinda get lucky. Collecting parts and building an engine can be very therapeutic. Shipping has gotten expensive, but many of us here have chunks of engine we'd sell.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
+1,
Rusty, I will add my .02 here. Engines go both ways. Some guys will have a few, and when it’s time to get them moved,… Can’t! They are heavy, too $$ to ship, and most will not come pick’um up. So finding a fairly complete motor shouldn’t be too hard. Unless you think it has had some good work done on it, and can be real sure it’s done well, I’d not pay more than $300 for a Lump. I had to throw out 4. There were some shops down in Tucson years ago, that had tons of junked Brits, but likely gone now. Just start asking around. Don’t jump on the 1st one you find, as then there will be 2 more that are better soon after. Get a book and learn the numbers so you can pick a later motor instead of an earlier one if possible. This site, these guys, will be a big help and encouragement. Happy to see you interested!
Oh, the advice I got early on was: “the hardest parts to find for a BSA are the TIN, especially a good tank”. He was absolutely correct! Learn how to post photos Rusty!!

Attached Images
9D47AA47-0223-413C-B295-D6415A68243B.jpeg
Last edited by KC in S.B.; 10/13/21 2:47 am.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Don't know if this helps but there is a bike shop in Tallahassee - Countryside Cycle, apparently selling complete reconditioned as well as exchange BSA A50/A65 engines and also triumph units, see This Link.

I have no idea if this shop is any good or even if they have any engines in stock, but might be worth a try.

Trying to collect enough parts to make a complete A50/A65 engine will be hard work, mainly because the parts varied so much over the years. It might be easier to find a complete donor bike, use the engine from that and sell the bits left over, there is an A50 on eBay right now, see This Link

Last edited by gunner; 10/13/21 6:19 am.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by gunner
Don't know if this helps but there is a bike shop in Tallahassee - Countryside Cycle, apparently selling complete reconditioned as well as exchange BSA A50/A65 engines and also triumph units, see This Link.

I have no idea if this shop is any good or even if they have any engines in stock, but might be worth a try.

Trying to collect enough parts to make a complete A50/A65 engine will be hard work, mainly because the parts varied so much over the years. It might be easier to find a complete donor bike, use the engine from that and sell the bits left over, there is an A50 on eBay right now, see This Link

PRICING - BSA
Desciptions
Outright Purchase Exchange*
BSA 500 - 650 Twins $3,900 $3,400

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Wow. I expect some grief, but I’ll mention BSA A65s don’t bring big dollars at sale. Maybe if you get lucky at an Auction? I like’em, but will be the 1st to caution a home builder to be aware the intended project has to focus on Because you want one. That’s been my experience, I’ve always lost money at the eventual sale. It’s a Hobby, done for the satisfaction, and I’m OK with it.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Hi,
A complete looking 67 engine popped up on my FB marketplace (nothing to do with me)
John

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/589433852256593

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

Jon Berglund of Countryside Cycle rebuilt the top end on my 1957 6T Thunderbird back before I started doing my own work. I can recommend him.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Jon W. Whitley

Jon Berglund of Countryside Cycle rebuilt the top end on my 1957 6T Thunderbird back before I started doing my own work. I can recommend him.

He rebuilt the original oil pump on my A65 after the cast iron MAP pump failed on me. Does good work!

Lannis

Be guided by facts that you can observe yourself, along with knowledge of how people have behaved during similar periods in history.
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I am down to one BSA, and have sold (2) B44's, (1)B25, (1) A65 over the years. Made money on all of them but not a lot. They were all good runners so selling was easy. I probably didn't ask enough or hold out long enough to get more money but when I decide to sell it goes. This old bike stuff is a labor of love because it brings back the days when we were young, smartassed, and chasing skirt. I just had to have a bike back then. I have had one or more of these bikes for over 50 years continuously and still love em. They are real motorcycles and when i crank up my B50 and let the neighborhood know I'm passing through I can hear them say. "There's goes that old SOB and that old motorcycle he likes to ride".

My advice is to try and find bikes that are mostly complete. I have bought bikes in several boxes of rusted parts and complete runners. Had to rebuild every one of them and that was the fun in it. Find a good local machine shop that can do automotive type engine work, participate on this site, and go for it. I liked BSA's because they were plentiful and priced lower than the Triumph's, Norton's, and other brands.
That pretty well sums it up for me.

Mr Mike

1 member likes this: Jon W. Whitley

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com