Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 80
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (76degree-triumph, Villiers, JER.Hill, quinten), 17 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
V
Hello all,
I am in the process of replacing my Smiths clocks with Emgo replacements. (Tired of sending Smiths units out for rebuils @ $220 each only to last a couple of seasons) The issue is that the Emgo clocks do not fit in the cup 'n' bracket setup on the 67 A65. (Gauges too tall) This is the setup with the rubber rings that are supposed to (but don't, really) hold the gauges in place. The Emgo gauges wont properly bolt directly on the bare bracket without the cups either. I had hoped there was a bracket that would fit the bill, but I have yet to find one, and I don't want to mount on the fork end nuts, so has anyone else had/solved this problem? I am likely going to fabricate something, but it will be fairly crude since I dont have the proper tools/skills to mill something on a fancy CNC machine or the like.
Thanks in advance for any ideas or solutions.
DV

PS, does the trip reset lever on the Emgos come out? I tried but don't want to break it.

Last edited by Vetterdog; 10/04/21 10:59 pm.

vdog
66 6T
67 A65L
72 T100R
BSA on eBay
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Yes, 67 BSA bracket and cups don't fit, too small. You have to use 71 on brackets and cups. I have one ( speedo ) on my Trident and it works very nicely.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Got the T shirt, the 71 onwards rubber needs modifying underneath to allow the Emgo clock to fit as its still too high for the later rubbers but with work does fit.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
You want to find another smiths repair guy. Vintage cables in Canada are smiths repair guys, though I have never used them I have bought many a decent cable of them.

I had my clocks built over 10 years ago. One got re-finished after an accident (tacho) it went from being spot on accurate to being out after that. The speedo which was only shook up is still accurate through the speed traps (the same traps read correct against my car and gps)

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If your bike is a 67 then I assume you have the binnacle style speedo holder which bolts onto a bracket on top of the fork yolks. Later bikes used a different binnacle which used a chrome ring to hold the binnacle which was then mounted to the fork top nuts.

I've modified the earlier style binnacle for the grey face EMGO speedo by scraping away material from the base. Its quite tricky and you need to keep at it but eventually you can just about get the speedo to fit.

However, even with all the scraping of material from the base, the chrome bezel still sticks out a few mm, unlike the originals which were recessed, so not 100% perfect but ok.

I don't blame you for choosing EMGO replica speedo's, they are cheap enough and are much more robust and accurate.

See below for a modified binnacle and grey faced EMGO speedo on my A65.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by gunner; 10/06/21 2:29 am.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com