Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 80
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (quinten, MaaseyRacer, mxman1), 25 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
T
Hello,

A childhood friend, who emigrated to Canada 23 years ago, has just returned to clear her fathers house (U.K) and organise his funeral, as he died 3 days ago.
She called me up as she knows I own and restore bikes, and she gave me her old Yamaha YB100 which was in the garage. For this kindness, and the fact she has a great deal to do as she’s only here for 12 days, I have offered to help clear the property.
In the garage I have found her fathers 1975 Triumph Trident T160. It’s got a few parts missing, like the ignition barrel, and a few parts are removed and sitting on the floor etc, but it’s fairly tidy and complete. Last on the road in 2007.
British classic bikes aren’t my bag (Japanese, mainly Honda, sorry !). I know this is a frowned upon question, and it depends on variables etc, but can you please give me an idea of value ? I can only find good condition runners, so not particularly helpful. It really needs to go quickly, as time is of the essence, so auction sites aren’t really an option. Positive responses only please. I’m helping out a friend in need as a favour.
Thank you.

I’ve just tried to add images, and realised you need to do some weird upload to a third party type thing like it’s 1985, which I’ve tried to research but it makes no sense. Please don’t explain how to do it, it won’t help, not sure where to go from here. It seems odd I can’t just select and add pictures ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

British motorcycles on eBay
T
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
T
Hang on….my technophobic brain, may have engaged…..

[img]https://ibb.co/nmqDMzN[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/9vHKN3N[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/YQn2Ttd[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/10BdLN6[/img]

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I'd try 3.5 thou if engine turns. Actually being in your position I'd offer her it and restore it to sell it for 7 - 9.. Not many was made and prices went up substantially for them.

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I'm looking at a similar scenario, but my friend had two 1974 Nortons. Probably about the same condition. I'm being told that 3500 to 4000 USD for each is a good price.

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1974 Daytona project
A couple others
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hugh and Adam are I think reflecting on values in North America.
T160s are more regarded in UK than US/Canada.
Having said that the bike has not run for 14 years, it has non standard paint and non standard front brake (as fitted to the earlier 71/72 Trident T150s)
Also the switch and warning light console is missing.
I would estimate a value in UK of 2.5-3K GBP.
HTH

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Stuart is in the UK and heavily into triples, so might have a better feel for the current UK market,
I don't know if he frequents the Rod & Tappet, but posting a similar query on the Triples forum might get his attention.
Triplesonline seems to have been rather quiet of late, but an enquiry there may yield assistance as well.

From the pictures, the late owner seems to have been more interested in riding than "correctness", hence the non-standard items that Tridentman pointed out, along with the replacement indicators and 3-into-1 exhaust system.

For what it's worth, Tridentman's UK estimate seems to be quite in line with Australian prices as well.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There are quite a few British Bike dealers down here the the south west of England, who may well be interested in purchasing it from your friend, within her time constraints.
Here's a few you could try for starters:

Originally MCS from Leytonstone London now in Bodmin Cornwall https://www.motorcyclewebsite.com/item/m-c-s/
Lanivet Motors in Cornwall https://lanivetmotors.wixsite.com/website?utm_source=CarandClassic.co.uk&utm_medium=portal
KBH in Totnes Devon https://kbhmotorcycles.co.uk/
Skye Classics in Looe Cornwall http://www.skye-classic-motorcycles.co.uk/
Monty's Classic Motorcycle in Callington Cornwall http://www.montysclassicmotorcycles.com/

Last edited by John Harvey; 10/02/21 10:02 am.

1971 BSA B25T (built as replica of proposed 1972 B25T)
1971 BSA B50 Project
1972 BSA A65L
1974 Triumph T120V
T
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
T
So long story short, I now own it. She was struggling with it being her dads bike and the memories associated with it, and wanted it to go to a good home. So I gave her a fair price for it, and can now make sure it ends up with someone who will appreciate it.The money I gave her will cover a professional house clearance team to come in and remove everything from the entire property, so that’s one less thing for her to worry about too.
Thanks for the responses. I attempt to put up some more pics once I’ve given it a good wash and made it look a bit more presentable.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Please don’t use a hose….

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Here are your pictures, General. You were almost there:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
1 member likes this: GrandPaul
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by TheGeneral
So long story short, I now own it. She was struggling with it being her dads bike and the memories associated with it, and wanted it to go to a good home. So I gave her a fair price for it, and can now make sure it ends up with someone who will appreciate it.
It's nice when a bike with sentimental attachment ends up with a family member or friend.

The customisations are part of the machine's history, so it would be nice to just tidy it up and not restore it to standard.
Having said that, T160s a re fast and heavy, so the conical hub front brake will be borderline at best. Actually, it looks like it might be a complete 1971 front end, so it would be better to try to find a disc brake front end. And preferably convert it to twin disc.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Shane, I would have think the original forks were bent in an accident otherwise there would be no reason to downgrade to a conical hub.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I find the conical brake really marginal on a T150.
The T160 is heavier than the T150 so I don't think that I would ride a T160 with a conical brake.
Just my two centsworth of course.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by shel
Shane, I would have think the original forks were bent in an accident otherwise there would be no reason to downgrade to a conical hub.
That thought crossed my mind as well.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Tridentman
I find the conical brake really marginal on a T150.
The T160 is heavier than the T150 so I don't think that I would ride a T160 with a conical brake.
Just my two centsworth of course.
+1
I had a comical on my T150, just too much lever effort to stop.
Properly set up it works okay on a twin, but it's not up to stopping the extra weight of a triple.
Please post questions to the Triples forum and join Triplesonline.com. A lot of good information and helpful people.

Santa Claus wears a red suit, he's a Communist

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
D
DPO Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I’ll bring him $6500 cash for both of those Norton’s!

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"
2016 Triumph Bonneville America LT
1968 BSA Firebird “Scrambler”
1982 Triumph T-140 “Electro”

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com