Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Boomer
Boomer
Orygone
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Magnetoman, Ginge), 22 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Steve C Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Has anyone else had issues with Emgo speedo drives failing? I bought one for my 67 A65. It's the correct ratio, part number, etc. It failed after 151 miles.
I bought it at the start of my project so by the time it failed it was to late to return. I contacted Emgo but no reply.
So I bought another one. It failed after 7 miles. Hopefully I can return it.
The cable is new (Emgo). I can turn it with my fingers so it's not binding. The speedo works as it should until the drive fails. It seems like the square cable fitting in the drive is rounding out.

British motorcycles on eBay
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
several k miles no problems on my sickles

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1949 Ferguson TE20 tractor
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
When you say it failed:
• Does the square shaft inside the threaded end that drives cable turn?
• Is the square end of the cable itself long enough to reach the squared end of the shaft?

We sell hundreds of these and they are not known for having problems.

Where did you buy it?
John

E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
Funny this topic has come up. The speedo on my Trident has been acting funny and I had a brand new Emgo drive unit on the shelf so I thought I would put it on. It wouldn't turn the cable. Put the old one back on and the cable turns just fine. I've had the Emgo unit on the shelf for years and don't remember where I got it.
It appears the problem with the speedo is that the cable edges where it goes into the speedo are rounded. I am waiting for a new cable. Vintage Cables is confident a new cable will fix things up.
Ed from NJ

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I have an LF Harris one that has kept working for a few years. Not sure if these are actually made in the UK . One thing that is wrong with it is the bit where the cable screws on has come loose and has been bashing its stop so has a lot of rotary play. It doesn't seem to be able to fall off, though so keeps going.

Dave

Last edited by dave jones; 09/30/21 4:06 pm.
S
Steve C Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
• Does the square shaft inside the threaded end that drives cable turn?
Yes it does. If I insert a small screwdriver in it and turn the wheel it does turn.
I took some measurements this morning. The end of the cable is approx 3mm wide. The screw driver I used to test is about 4mm.
• Is the square end of the cable itself long enough to reach the squared end of the shaft?
It has some movement back and forth but is 18mm at it's shortest and 24mm at it's longest.
The screwdriver only has to go in about 8mm to engage.
One was bought from The Bonneville Shop, the other from S&M Motors. Both through E-Bay. I am returning the one from S&M.

It seems like the square shaft in the drive in rounding out. Not sure what would cause that same issue on 2 units. As I said before the cable is also a new Emgo and has been lubed from end to end. It turns freely using just me fingers. It's actually the second cable as well. The first one had the ferrule at the speedo end to far up and there was not enough cable to enter the speedo. I still have the worn out original drive (ring gear is shot). When I look in the drive I can see a square opening the cable goes into. I don't see that in the Emgo.
Since the one I have is past returning I may try to get the ring gear out and transplant to the original.

S
Steve C Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
So, it appears the square end of the EMGO cable is slightly smaller than an original by a thousandth or 2. That appears to be slipping in the drive. I used a small piece of the end of a wire tie and forced it in next to the cable end. Rode 60 miles yesterday with no problem. But because "it's always something", the trip meter quit working. That's for another day.

My attempt to transplant the ring gear almost worked but either the worm gear in the Smith's in worn worse than it appears or EMGO uses a slightly different pitch to the ring because it kept jamming.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Why not buy an original? They're available!!!

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com