Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (GrandPaul, Norri Robertson, Dave Comeau, Deadstiffcatt, Bob B, MikeG), 36 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#859928 10/03/21 6:47 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Have 71 a65l. Bike was running before. Now I try to start it and just get a sputter out of it. Got spark and fuel, just don't want to keep running. Any ideas why? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Had this bike a year now and it's always something.

BSA on eBay
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
How long has it been sitting with the same fuel in it? Much more than 6 months or so can cause problems starting. Also, the carburetor pilot jet clogs up easily from stale fuel or from debris in the fuel.

If it's been sitting a while, drain all the fuel from tank and carb, refill with fresh and see what happens when you try to start it.

1 member likes this: Allan G
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Only sat week or so. Fuel is fresh, carbs are new, about 5-6 months old. Just put new plugs in, same thing, runs for few seconds and quits. Has Pazon ignition, new plug wires. I use non-ethanol gas.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Do you get a spark at the plugs?

If you do, recheck your timing. If the rotor has slipped (screw bottomed out possibly) then the bike will never start.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Check your fuel tank is venting.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I got spark at plugs. I'll check gas cap. Almost had it going a few minutes ago. Last 2 times I rode it, I noticed it would cough after giving it gas over 40 mph.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Another thing to check is to see if the needle clip has separated itself from the needle. It has happened to me.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I'll check that too. Will have to wait, calling for rain here off and on all week. If anyone knows of a good brit bike mechanic around York PA, please let me know. Would like to have someone look at it over winter. Had 2 triumphs years ago, never had problems like this. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
is the a battery maintaining sufficient voltage under load ?
( can it run the headlight for at least a few minutes ? )
[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]
if the Cylinders will fire on tickled gas , but not run ,
it often blocked idle jets .
this is the smallest jet in the carburetor , so easy to block and is critical to maintaining idle and low speed .

Last edited by quinten; 10/03/21 10:44 pm.
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Starts but wont run .............. if it is starting because you have "tickled the carbs" them it points to something in the pilot part of the carbs , but both?? perhaps the cough was one pilot jet getting clogged, now both are. is your tank clean / do you have a fuel filter?

On the principal that 90% of carb issues are the spark plug, how is your coil? how is your battery? and all its connections? My B441VS quit today because the battery terminals were only letting 9 volts out (eeeek!!!) The Vape ignition called me a few unsavory names, tried gamely to make a few sparks, before telling me to go forth and multiply, and promptly fell asleep.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by RebelronUSA
Only sat week or so. Fuel is fresh,....
That sounds promising. You could remove the bowl drain plugs and empty the bowls into a container and examine for any water. Then you could turn the fuel taps on and verify fuel flow and possibly flush more water through. If you find water, you will want to empty and dry out your gas tank. Has it rained there or did you wash the bike recently? Sometimes you get water when you fill with fuel too.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I charged battery yesterday. Bike is outdoors and covered. I know moisture always finds a way to get in covered or inside. Calling for rain here this week but gonna start from tank down when it dries up. I did drain gas into glass bottle few weeks ago, looked good. Gonna replace petcocks and screens, install inline filters and check needles. I really appreciate the help. Thank you guy's so much.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
What sort of ignition have you got ?
Sounds like it is out of time

Bike Beesa
Trevor
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
How long have you owned the bike? Is it a newish purchase?
Sometimes it’s just about understanding what the bike likes.

Are you using the choke or has it been removed?

Pazon ignitions are pretty reliable.

Sounds like you have spark and fuel and compression as the bike will fire. It won’t run though so that’s fuel supply or timing. If the electrics were failing they would take a while to fail. Not after 30 seconds or so. They tend to fail with heat or load. Not in the garage.

'51 C11 in a '54 C10L frame. Back on the road...
'70 Triumph Trophy 500. Next on the bench for a refresh!
'72 Triumph Tiger 650. Back on the road...
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Ginge, generally agree BUT with electronic ignition it CAN indeed stop sparking after 3s or so. If it only has marginal voltage getting to it in the first place and there is a voltage drop as the current draw increases it will simply stop. Literally happened to me yesterday.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Runs about 3 seconds when I try to start it. Owned it a year now, usually started first kick after tickling carbs. Never went far on it due to not having anyone to pick me up if it was to break down. Chokes are removed since installing new carbs. I had 12.9 volts on battery after charging. No idea on age of pazon, was in when I bought it. Installed .203" phenolic spacers on due to carbs getting hot, then having hard time starting when hot. Bike seems to run hot when running.

Life Member
Life Member
New doesn’t equal good. There are lots of plugs bad out of the box. battery voltage doesn’t tell the whole story it needs to be load tested.

It only took me a month to become an expert!!!!

I sit at the back of the class but try to pay attention.

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........my son says..... "Everybody is stupid about something"
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Running for 3 seconds sounds like a carb blockage.
If it starts after tickling then stops, start it up and hold the tickler down, this will raise the fuel level and bypass the idle circuit to some extent.
My money is on a blocked pilot jet or pilot passage

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
GM500 sprint bike "Deofol"
Rickman Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
1 member likes this: Stuart Kirk
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Guys ........... " Installed .203" phenolic spacers on due to carbs getting hot, then having hard time starting when hot. Bike seems to run hot when running."

Gives a few clues??? Carbs not set up correctly? I would be looking for air leaks between carbs and spacers and heads. Clean the carbs, rich up the idle a tad. Then once running setting them up properly. The AMAL web site gives the tuning steps plus you can check that the jets and needles are the right ones.
Carbs are new so unlikely to be stuffed.

Still worth checking the voltage AT THE PAZON (who cares what the battery says). Plus don't rely on the frame being earth at the coil,... if the PO hasn't already done so, run a separate wire direct to the battery, it matters (don't ask me how I know).

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Gonna check all the above. Hoping it's something simple. Thanks for the info guys.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Carbs off, both looked clean. Cleaned everything with carb cleaner. Inside mounting nut for right carb was not tight. May have been getting air in? Looked over wiring, replaced a couple ring connections to frame. Gonna install inline filters before installing carbs, and have battery checked.

Thanks for all the help.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Clip on needle is on 2nd pos. manual says position 1. Gotta change that too. I've read on here that most use pos 2, will moving to 1 make much difference?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I would start with the basics which is to have the mixture screws turned out by 1 1/2 turns and the idle/throttle stop equally adjusted so they just lift the slides off the bottom. Adjust the throttle cables so that the slides lift equally and also close at the same time, if you place your finger over the end of the throttle stop adjuster you should be able to 'feel' when the slide hits the adjuster. I think the needles should be in the middle clip position but may be wrong.

Spraying out the carb with cleaner often isn't enough to clear a blocked idle jet, have a read of Bushmans Carn Tuning Secrets available in PDF format Here which has some good advice on cleaning and tuning Amals.

Check the static timing using the plug at the front of the crankcase and if its reasonably accurate move on to other areas such as checking the voltage at the coil and pickup plate.

Also worth checking the fuel supply, sometimes the taps and filters get clogged so test how much fuel is actually coming out of the taps.

Last edited by gunner; 10/06/21 7:04 pm.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Took everything apart off carbs and them. Thanks for the bushman site. Couldn't ever find it on Google. Lot of good info.

Thanks gunner👍

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
If the bike won’t start when hot it could be something as simple as a idle mixture adjustment issue, but if this is the case, you should be able to hold the throttle fully open and start the bike (this is how I start troublesome B50’s). If it does not. It’s highly likely you have an air leak between the carb and the head. You can prove this by spraying some wd40 or some easy start (I prefer wd40 as it is not flammable) around the mounting faces. Wd40 will cause the engine to stumble and easy start will increase the revs. But again this will only work if you can start the bike from cold.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com