Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
Broomfield, Colorado, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Chris the camper., Morgan aka admin), 21 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
MikeG #859591 09/29/21 3:17 am
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Hi Niquel; no such possibility for the older pre units so some 25 years ago I bought a new Hunt magneto that have been keeping me on the road for years until few months ago.

British motorcycles on eBay
MikeG #859598 09/29/21 4:00 am
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Each to his own, decent EI pulls around 0.5a @3000rpm without points to fail and maintain and
water ingress, decent advance curve etc etc.
As for using electro-mechanical regulators, you must be having a laugh.eh? or a persecution complex.

Last edited by NickL; 09/29/21 4:08 am.
MikeG #859635 09/29/21 5:49 pm
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...again; no better possibility for an older pre unit with 6V and no alternator (1948)

MikeG #859636 09/29/21 6:09 pm
knuckle head
knuckle head
No magneto on my A10 BSA....It also has an electronic voltage regulator and 12 volt Dynamo with new parts inside...Who will be the first to tell me the generators aren't reliable grin. And a Mikuni TM carb instead of a finger wetting AMAL...

9AF32D1E-F0AF-4F4C-A6C1-F733EBD4D268.jpeg

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
1 member likes this: NickL
reverb #859648 09/29/21 9:09 pm
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Originally Posted by reverb
...again; no better possibility for an older pre unit with 6V and no alternator (1948)

See Hillbilly Bike's modification with reconfigured dynamo then you can use proper electronic ignition and
get decent 12v lighting.

MikeG #859658 09/29/21 9:56 pm
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by NickL
As for using electro-mechanical regulators, you must be having a laugh.eh? or a persecution complex.

Its perhaps worth pointing out that some members on this forum may have been around when those CVC 'electro-mechanical regulators' were the latest and greatest - and a vast improvement on the ole switch that needed to be flicked over to 'charge' or not, to avoid your battery being boiled.

My old Enfield still has one fitted - and is the original, as far as I know. And is still doing a fine job, although I'd be the
1st to admit it doesn't get a lot of use. Its pushing 100% original though.

We diverge, a bit.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
No magneto on my A10 BSA....It also has an electronic voltage regulator and 12 volt Dynamo with new parts inside...Who will be the first to tell me the generators aren't reliable grin. And a Mikuni TM carb instead of a finger wetting Amal...

Nice Kawasaki !

With fool injection, and mag wheels and ABS, and and and and, it'd be fully-up-to-date.
I can see the attraction, but thats what buying something more modern is all about ?
Having a classic is all about the classic bits ??
Obviously its your bike, and all that ...

We really diverge ...

MikeG #859663 09/29/21 11:07 pm
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N

Last edited by NickL; 09/29/21 11:18 pm.
MikeG #859671 09/30/21 2:37 am
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
And opium was a commodity keenly 'traded' and peddled by the British, for many a year.

Dunno what this has to do with electrics though, old or new.
We've really swerved off course here, and done a diving pike with half roll. ?

CVC regulators were the bees knees when they appeared, you really had the latest in electrics then.
And weren't really usurped until alternators and rectifiers took over ...

MikeG #859673 09/30/21 3:36 am
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Hey Niquel; nothing of that is possible on a 5T 1948. May be is possible on 54 and up but I am not sure.

MikeG #859680 09/30/21 7:46 am
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Mmmmm, you could convert your Lucas generator to 12v, and use with a 12v electronic regulator.
It may or may not need new wire inside the generator to do this, depending on how good the wire is.
Then you could use an electronic ignition conversion (inside a K2FC housing).

And fit fool injection even !!!
ABS brakes may be a getting a bit tricky though.
And tubeless tyres ditto ...

There are some folks who like to keep their old classics as absolutely old classics though.
Part of the charm of them ?

MikeG #859699 09/30/21 2:06 pm
knuckle head
knuckle head
There you go, if your old lump has an electronic ignition and or regulator your bike is Yamaha.... That should eliminate about half the guys on this site.... grin
And include LED bulbs and sealed batteries...and any modern tread design tires...And god forbid anyone using synthetic oil....And don't dare use air in tires that isn't from the 1960's.. wink

79 T140D, 89 Honda 650NT ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons
"I don't know what the world may need
But a V8 engine is a good start for me
Think I'll drive to find a place, to be surly"
2 members like this: gavin eisler, NickL
MikeG #859736 09/30/21 11:00 pm
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
I like some of the originality but like to keep things practical.
I would think many of these old crates have been parked and rotted away due
to them being all original, whereas a few updates would have kept them on the road.
This thread was about mags, as a kid i rode an a10sr, it had a tt carb with it when i
bought it as a box of bits so i assume it was original. When it rained the carb filled
with water, i you flooded the carb it would readily catch fire as it was above the mag.
Thats the sort of thing these crates suffered from, why not correct it, if you do they
will last longer.

MikeG #859741 09/30/21 11:44 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
There you go, if your old lump has an electronic ignition and or regulator your bike is Yamaha.
Originally Posted by NickL
I like some of the originality but like to keep things practical.
I have modern bikes with EI, electronic voltage regulator, fuel injection, etc., so I prefer to keep my old bikes old. However, I don't judge those who do to their bikes whatever makes them happy since very few motorcycles are one-of-a-kind examples that should be preserved in original condition for future generations. If someone wants a Mikuni, electronic regulator, or fuzzy dice hanging from a sissy bar on their A10, that does not make them a failure as a human being. Nor does it if someone else wants an AMAL, mechanical regular, and magneto on theirs. At least, as far as I'm concerned, although other opinions may differ. Of course, preferring Triumphs over BSAs is an entirely different matter...

I got a fair amount of crap early on with my as-original rebuild on the Vincent Owners Club Forum from a few people with quite strident views that one must modify. Although not everyone seems to realize it, decisions on what to do with a bike are completely personal and totally arbitrary. Explaining what choices someone made and why can be quite useful (e.g. magneto vs. EI, AMAL vs. Mikuni, etc.), but what essentially amounts to using insulting names for personal decisions is unhelpful.

The personal, arbitrary choice I made for my Gold Stars has them with modern tires and brake linings, LED bulbs, and total-loss NiMH batteries. One of them has a Magdyno, and if I decided it needed to have a full-time charging system I'd install the Podtronics regulator I bought for the purpose from Coventry Spares shortly after getting the bike seven years ago. However, I have no intention ever to swap the magnetos for EI.

The above gives me the riding experience on all three of them that is "essentially" the same as it was when they were new, which is what I want. However, someone else might well make completely different personal, arbitrary choices.

2 members like this: Hillbilly bike, BSA_WM20
MikeG #859758 10/01/21 4:59 am
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...in my opinion, those decisions can be taken due to several things; like these ones in no particular order:

-Condition of the motorcycle/s
-Availability of the spare parts
-Know how
-Predisposition to wrenching
-Reliability to actually really use the bike as a transport or only as a "Sunday bike" around the block
-Time
-Money
-To having a particular motorcycle (few km from new-like time tunnel bike-; special model; year etc)
-How many old irons are in your Country (availability)
-Think that we are smarter than the Factory guys
etc

MikeG #859762 10/01/21 7:57 am
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
As I have a habit of saying, it is your bike so do with it what you will that gives you the greatest amount of pleasure.
That is what they are here for
Some would rather sit in their garage on a milk crate next to their bikes for hours tinkering
Others just want to ride with the minimum amount of garage time possible
Some want to push the envelope way past what BSA could have ever imagined.
Some like to corner so fast the G forces rip the filling out of their teeth
Others are just happy to get around & remain upright.
I know people who get massive amout of pleasure from watching their bike idle on a sheet of white paper knowing there will never be a drop of oil on it .
Others will happily tell them the bikes were not oil tight the day they were delivered so why would you bother to make them oil tight 50+ years latter .
I could not even guess how many miles the magneto in the WM20 has done but it would have to well over 100,000 if not 200,000 and in all that time I think there were 3 times when it caused me grief, all of which were my own fault for not doing timely maintenance on it and all fixed on the side of the road with nothing more than my chamois case of riding tools.
In that time it has gone through 2 sets of points and the same number of brushes and a single felt rubbing block
Comparing that to the amount of work requires to keep the B40GA or B50T going bang bang at the right time & the maggy is a doddle
The A65 got a Boyer ( red box ) the week I go it as it has been through a fire and needed some rewiring and again it never gave me a stick of problem paticularly as the boys on the old BSA Pitt Stop site advised to replace the ground terminal and drill a little hole to clamp the pick up wires tight.

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 10/01/21 8:06 am.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
A all of which were my own fault for not doing timely maintenance.

Lotta happy miles there then.

And its maybe worth commenting here that Lucas listed a YEARLY service on their magnetos (and gennies etc),
and this meant returning it to their depot in your hot little hand for them to do, not just dusting it off in the bike
and cleaning the points ....

I've always pondered that this almost sounds like excessive servicing, but in the British climate maybe not,
and greases etc have improved a lot over the years. And carbon brushes possibly haven't !!

MikeG #859840 10/02/21 9:34 am
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
At the moment I have an Alton, a Chinese reg/rec, Concentrics, belt drive, reed valve breather and Wassell ignition on a T110 Triton. And a three spring Pete Russell cork clutch!

I’m quite happy to be told I’m wrong. All these mods (except the breather) have disadvantages, in comparison to original gear, as well as advantages. Also- originality for its own sake is valid and desirable- I’m all for people sticking with it.

It’s not impossible that I’ll revert to some older parts, but the bike is running so well that I’m wary of disturbing anything.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
MikeG #859845 10/02/21 10:24 am
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
'Wrong' is definitely the wrong word !!
The rivet counters can tell you its not original - if they can even figure that out - but nobody can tell you what to do with YOUR bike.

And every so often you see what is sometimes termed a 'street sleeper'. Something that looks stock, but is anything but.
Might be easier to achieve in cars, where it can hide under the metalwork.
But I still recall a little Ford something-or-other, which lined up on the 1/4 mile line and went like a bloomin rocketship.
Apparently had a supercharged V8 in it - but you couldn't tell from the outside, and was surprisingly quiet. Loved it !
Quiet is something that few customers aim for though !?

MikeG #859897 10/03/21 4:16 am
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Mind you, having posted that message last week, got caught in the rain on Friday and the bike ran like th proverbial bag of poo.
Fired about once every 4th lamp ost which on Elizabeth drive is a long way apart.
Just got the front gate & expired
Between showers on Saturday after doing all of the usual things with no luck finally found a crack in the insulation on the HT lead so a new one will be fitted when the bulk cable arrives next week but in the mean time a cable tie has it far enough away to avoiding shorting ..

Bike Beesa
Trevor
MikeG #859963 10/03/21 11:24 pm
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I've seen the NRMA man come and sort out someone's 4 wheeler that wouldn't start after a big wet.
He ran a small gas flame (!!) over all the wires and leads in the ignition stuff. Not a magneto in sight...
Popular brand of car with a good reputation for reliability.
Success !

NOTHING is immune from this problem. ?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com