Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership
New Sponsor post
2022 Classic Triumph Motorcycle Calendars
by C.B.S - 09/28/21 6:22 pm
New FAQ post
How To: Add attached images in between text
by Morgan aka admin - 10/03/21 9:46 am
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
Nor Cal near Sutters mill.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 82
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
koan58 20
Newest Members
Pratty, AndyW, ChrisTriumph3, GLENN'S PLACE, Smartfella
11,876 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (pushrod tom, Hillbilly bike, TinkererToo), 40 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Edalfa Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
E
I'm new to BSA having just purchased a 1969 Thunderbolt. When I got it, it had low bars on it. I just put slightly higher bars marked 42-4968 USA BSA A65 1968-70. The old cable is too short. From what I can see in the parts book I should be using cable 60-2077 with these bars. Am I correct? Most of the cables I see have stop light switch integral to the cable. I don't have one on the old cable. Should my bike have come with a front switch? Also, I haven't been able to find any listing of length of stock cables to determine what I currently have for a cable.

Last edited by Edalfa; 10/03/21 1:10 am.
BSA on eBay
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Welcome, Ed. This is one of those areas where part numbers won't reliably get you a new cable. More important are lengths, conduit and the wire, and the hardware on the assembly.. 69 should have come with that switch, you don't really need it but they are available. Separately or I've seen cable made including it.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Also, I'd say a 69 Thunderbolt is about the nicest BSA unit twin you could have.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
I think BSA stopped putting cable lengths in parts books when they went to exploded view single line parts books at the end of WWII
I just about never buy off the shelf cables as none of them usually fit to my satisifaction .
The numbers in the parts book are often wrong even if you are looking at the right parts book because USA got different bars East to West and these were different again in the UK and different again for the continent .
Measure the difference in length between the inner & outer.
Then go to a British bike supplier and order the cable in the length you think you will need
Most will list them by length as well as part number as most bikes of the time used the same cable ends .
As for the light switch, best avoided
They were prone to short out on the cable ( not pretty ) can make the brake spongy if the cable has been made with cheap outer tube and provide another point for water & dust to enter the cable .
FWIW I make my cables with floating drums so the cable can rotate both at the operating end and the handlebar end as done this way they rarely ever break
Bulk bowden cable is quite cheap .
And not being a rivet counter have been know to fit the wrong perches so I can slip an adjuster in each end .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
50+ years experience
50+ years experience
Look for a solid brown wire and solid white wire, both with spade connectors, around the right side of the headstock of the frame. These would be the leads for the brake switch.If you find them, you can use the 60-2076 front brake cable with the switch, which is common to the Triumph 650 models from 1969-70. The 42-4968 handlebars are the correct US-spec for your bike. I believe the 60-2077 cable mentioned may be for the UK-spec handlebars.
-Dave

[Linked Image from thebonnevilleshop.com]
E
Edalfa Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
E
Thanks for the info. I haven't found any leads, but they may be tucked up under the tank. I'll have to check.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com