Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
maylar
maylar
Connecticut
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 30
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (hardarser, pushrod tom, JDH, Tom A65LR, Dave Comeau, konon), 26 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,652
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
RicLand Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
The original clip on bars on my Gold Star have become too uncomfortable for me to ride with so I've decided to go ahead and change to the more upright sitting stance of European style touring bars. Therefore I want to buy all of the needed related parts and pieces to do the changeover: bars, brake and clutch levers (complete or just the perches) and all of the cables (ignition advance/retard, decompression, front brake, clutch). If you have some, most, or all of these parts in good to excellent condition and wish to sell, please send me an email <[email protected]> and I'll buy them from you.
Thanks in advance
Ric

British motorcycles on eBay
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Could also look at swan neck clips, will give you some adjustability to find the sweet spot you like. If your lever perches are not welded on then can re-use the levers. Saw some on Barleycorn, but are others out there....

Last edited by Dave - North of 60; 09/30/21 1:45 pm.

1958 BSA DBD Gold Star Clubman
1957 BSA Gold Star - work in progress
1965 Ducati 250 Scrambler
1971 Ducati 250 Mk3
1977 Hercules GS175
1981 Ducati Mike Hailwood Replica
(long pause)
2005 KTM 450 SMR - street legal (for going to the corner store)
R
RicLand Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Dave,
Never thought of swan neck clips, a good suggestion which might not call for all new cables. Any idea of any parts houses that sell them? Unfortunately the perches on my clip-ons are welded on.
again, thank you for the tip
Ric

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Saw some in the uk...barleycorn.co.uk...they also have something called comfort clip ones which have a small rise. They were stainless but not cheap. There must be more sources out there...quick search...raysonsuk.com...produced some nice chromed ones...must be more sources out there, probably some in US.

Last edited by Dave - North of 60; 10/01/21 5:09 pm.

1958 BSA DBD Gold Star Clubman
1957 BSA Gold Star - work in progress
1965 Ducati 250 Scrambler
1971 Ducati 250 Mk3
1977 Hercules GS175
1981 Ducati Mike Hailwood Replica
(long pause)
2005 KTM 450 SMR - street legal (for going to the corner store)
R
RicLand Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Dave,
Email me <[email protected]> and I'll send you a couple of pics of my Goldie to your email address. Now that it is finished I am looking in earnest for a MHR and noticed one on your ownership list. Haven't had much luck finding one even though I believe that Ducati sold around seven thousand units over eight or so years--go figure.
Ric

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
The lever perches and electrical bits peculiar to pre-unit BSAs do show up on Ebay occasionally. There is currently a nos right side perch available on UK Ebay (or there recently was). The dimmer switch and horn push are rare and can sell for upwards of $100. It would take a long term concerted effort to accumulate all the pieces you need but it can be done. Been there, done that more than once.

Laurence Luce
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Used perches are often well worn but better than nothing since they can be repaired and re-plated. The levers to fit the perches are scarce too.

Replica dimmer switches are available nowadays but as Larry mentioned, the horn button that fits the curved pad on the perch are scarce and costly. I recall paying $75.00 for a crusty one with no guts.

Buying new replacement cables is often frustrating in my experience. I usually expect to adjust the length which means un-soldering an end, adjusting the cable length as needed, both inner and outer, and then re-soldering the end back onto the inner wire.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
It should be noted the replica dimmer switches available are shaped for direct mounting on the handlebar. If you want to mount one on a BSA lever perch it will be necessary to reshape the bottom to accommodate the larger surface radius of the perch. It will also be necessary to obtain or improvise the mounting strap. The tiny screws used to attach the dimmer switch and horn push are also difficult to source. Lot of trouble for not much gain but if you want originality.....

Laurence Luce
1 member likes this: Stuart Kirk

Moderated by  Steve Erickson 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com