Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

BLACK FRIDAY MEMBERSHIP OFFER 2021

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership Life Membership

50 % DISCOUNT ON ALL OPTIONS!!!

New Sponsor post
The BLACK FRIDAY SALE is here!
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/23/21 5:29 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 74
NickL 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Gus_Carrero, mogmike, Julian1966, BSACliff, Bezza Frank
11,920 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Doug P, Chris Johnson, NickL, KC in S.B., quinten, reverb), 19 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#859481 09/27/21 11:43 am
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Put on by Ton Up Highlands. Hendersonville, NC. This Saturday starting at noon.

I’ll try to post a flyer later if someone doesn’t beat me to it.

I have a short 3 hour ride over (1967 B44R) and I think some others off here are planning on attending. This will be my first and I’d like to come up with a plan for meeting up.

Maybe we’ll meet a new face or two.

Gordon in NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 09/27/21 7:40 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........my son says..... "Everybody is stupid about something"
British motorcycles on eBay
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Ton Up Hightlands MELTDOWN 2021

Okay........most of my local (ish) buddies ( I hope I can call you that?) are NOT going to be there this year. With Barber coming up fast they are committed for that event.

That said.......I'll be there and if ANYONE wants to meet up just hollar. I plan on checking in with the Ton Up fellows then enjoy some people watching. Weather is forecasted to be absolutely PERFECT!!!!!!!!

Maybe some of our paths will cross.........if they do, I'll be happy to buy you a beer.

Gordon in another part of NC.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 09/27/21 7:28 pm.

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........my son says..... "Everybody is stupid about something"
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
It's a quick 1/2 hour drive for me, I'll be there. Been asked to bring the race bikes, maybe we'll make some noise on the dyno.
I'd buy you a beer, Gordon, lord knows I owe you one, but you being a teetotaler makes that hard. Anyhow, it'll be good to see you. I think Greg is coming, no?

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Greg and David D are out. David P is on the fence and I'm not sure about Marlin, Bill, DPO or the other Mr Whatley.

I'll see ya there......I think I know where to look!!!!!

Trying to decide what to ride.......modern is the smartest but heck......anyone can do that.

Gordon in another part of NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 09/27/21 11:28 pm.

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I'm feeling really lazy at the moment. If I can work up any ambition in the next couple days I'll be there. Given the chance to see you and Mike and Jake, how can I skip it?
Like last time, I'll ride the sidecar. I just don't trust the Daytona completely, yet.
With any luck, they will let me register for the show again.

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1974 Daytona project
A couple others
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Bumping this back to the top. Hoping someone on the fence will change their mind and show up.

They have had 1000 bikes in the show. I’m thinking the cut off is 1985? But I’m not sure about that. I’m not much of a bike show kinda guy but it is nice to see better examples of the bikes I ride.

I’m a people watcher and this crowd is fun to watch.

All proceeds go to a charity. ( that’s a Ton Up thing and bless them for it)

Swing a leg over and head that way.

Gordon in another part of NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 09/29/21 10:41 am.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
I've been on the road this past week riding to Guzzi rallies with buddies, 2000 miles or so, got in late last night, saw this and thought it was Henderson NC, which I could do, but HendersonVILLE is a 6 hour ride one way, so not a day trip, and I have to be here Friday and Sunday.

I'll have to opt for the Shenandoah Valley British Car and Bike Show in Waynesboro, VA, I won first prize British Bike the last outing there with the oily, dirty A10, they value "riders" apparently!

The Ton Up event sound like a lot of fun, wish I could make it. I'm a people watcher too, I always enjoy watching the young guys at the Raleigh and Durham Ton Up events with their "sporterized" Honda Super 90s and CX500s, out buzzing around on a customized bike with about $500 total in the whole thing ... !

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
I understand completely Lannis. I plan on getting there around noon and leaving around 3…….so I’ll not be there long at all.

I’m more using it as an excuse to ride. If I don’t get more riding in I might as well just give it up. Don’t see it getting much better any time soon which is disappointing to say the least.

Gordon.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'd love to be there, but life intervenes. Seven hours of driving for one day of debauchery is not in the cards with chores to do and Barber the next weekend.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Kinda short notice and combine that with Barber next weekend I completely understand. Heck, this will be my first time attending. Always had reasons not to be able to go.

I’ll get to say hi to Mike Baker and the Halls. Shake Patman’s hand, haven’t seen him face to face in a long time. I’m only going to have feet on the ground for 3-4 hours then I need to head back home. Some of you know my wife’s hobby is fostering dogs and we have a couple of really lively puppies at home she needs help with plus our senior house dog needs her insulin shots. Funny how that worked out. I absolutely hate needles but somehow I volunteered myself to administer hers.

I’ll take plenty of photos and represent bb.com the best I can.

Maybe next year.

Gordon

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gordon,
Ask the Halls if they are accepting new work and if they have a proper torque plate for boring triples.
Or, maybe I'll see them at Barber, if I can get into the pits.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
I’ll check but my understanding is they have backed away from new work. I’m not that close to them at all. I do believe they are still doing work for some of the racers ( they compete in AHRMA?) but that’s it.

Barber will probably be your best bet…..face to face.

Tomorrow can’t get here fast enough….why can’t vacation time move this slow?

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/01/21 8:08 pm.

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Little bike......BIG fun.

244 mile round trip, last time I rode this route I was on a 1967 C25. Stepped up to the BIG bike this time. laughing

More photos and a tale later.

Gordon in NC

IMG_0046.JPG
Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/03/21 1:22 pm.

4 members like this: Tommy Thomas, ricochetrider, PINEMONKEY, Morgan aka admin
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Weather was PERFECT......one of my absolute favorite routes. Hwy 18 to Morganton then Hwy 64. Passing places like Chimney Rock, Bat Cave and Lake Lure with it's BEAUTIFUL Flowering Bridge.

Richrd's B44R is slowly (pun intended) becoming my all time favorite B44. The high gearing 19-47 had me rolling at 55-60 and getting 62+ miles per gallon.

[Linked Image]

After 120 miles it's a GREAT time for a chain lube before things cool down. ALWAYS carry chain lube......your chain will thank you for it. My first unit single ( first motorcycle too) was a B40 Enduro Star and I added a Victor Special shortly after that. Those will always be my favorites BUT......after I purchased my first Roadster from Steve Erickson's friend.........I haven't gone back. There is NO way you can beat a center stand......period.

[Linked Image]

This was my first Meltdown. Photo overlooking one of the entrances and a couple of the support staff. Hats off to Ton Up Highlands for putting this together....I can only imagine how much work is involved.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The band was just getting started. They were actually pretty good...( lots of good music in the Asheville area) ...nice clean sound and an hour later the place was packed.

[Linked Image]

I didn't stay as long as I planned. Said hello to a couple of folks and talked with Mike, Marlin and Chad for a bit but to be honest I didn't feel comfortable around that many people. Guess that new grandbaby has me a little more concerned than usual.

To be continued.........Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/03/21 7:26 pm.

2 members like this: ricochetrider, PINEMONKEY
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
The event started at noon, I got there around 12:30. These photos were taken around then. When I left there were people still coming in. I'd say the size of the crowd doubled in an hour?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Ton Up Highlands tent. That's Pat and Daniel (?) and that youngster "could" be the same boy I watched Daniel play with at the very first BIBR I attended. There's a long history of motorcycles in that family. Pat's an all around fine fellow as are all the NC, Highlands Ton Uppers that I know.

[Linked Image]

Pat's ( aka Patman) AHRMA racer "Fiona"?

[Linked Image]

DISCLOSURE!!!!! There's a good chance I got everybody's name wrong......I'm doing that a lot lately.

To be continued.......

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/03/21 1:15 pm.

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
I didn't take a lot of bike photos. I'm not much of a bike show guy. To be honest the darn BMW's had the nicest display of bikes. Marlin's rig with it's 10 Gallon tank stood out.....it was beautiful. I love a bike that gets used.

There were lots of other types of bikes displayed. There would have been a time I would have counted them all just out of curiosity.

I didn't take a photo of Marlins rig but did take a shot of this......hard not to admire.

[Linked Image]

Mike Baker's AHRMA racer. I remember meeting up with Mike along Hwy 64 up in the mountains. He was on his street tracker and I was on a unit single. He took off and I followed. I'm not sure how many times I blinked my eyes but it wasn't many before I lost sight of him. When we finally got back together I said something about how fast I was trying to ride to try and catch up........he looked me dead in the eyes with a straight face and said "I was riding slow" the man has no idea what slow is. laughing

[Linked Image]

Mikes B50 AHRMA racer. Word is Bill ( aka Semper Gumby) will be piloting ( another intended pun) it at Barber this coming weekend. REPERSENT!

[Linked Image]

That's it.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/03/21 1:59 pm.

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I had a great time, and I stayed to the bitter end. Bitter because I didn't win the raffle bike. Mike, however, won for the best race bike. I took a bunch of pictures, too. I have to get them from my phone to the Hosting site, and then I'll post them.

My ride was about 170 miles, all told. And let me tell you, trying to hustle a sidecar up and down mountain roads is a workout! I really need to find the short in the Daytona so I can ride it on the same roads.

Thanks for the compliments Gordon. I'm just a touch envious of your bike. It's really pretty, but I don't think my knee would like to start it!

1974 Daytona project
A couple others
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by HughdeMann
...snip....Thanks for the compliments Gordon. I'm just a touch envious of your bike. It's really pretty, but I don't think my knee would like to start it!

Marlin (aka HughdeMann) easy to compliment your bikes......you know how to build and take care of them. I almost didn't recognize it.....never seen it cleaned up. BUT........that's because every time I've seen before it's been ridden hard to a camp somewhere. Even if it's a BMW it's a very nice rig and deserves the compliments.

Starting the B44........so I slip off to head back home. I parked up at the top of the hill behind us in an empty parking lot. Get up there ( eating grilled cheese on the way) and get geared up....helmet on and I'll be darned if Graham Foster doesn't walk up. "Shooting Star, you don't see many of those around" ........I should have taken my helmet off and talked with him a bit but you know how it is when you're "ready". So I tell him he knows he just jinxed me.......with him standing there it was probably NOT going to start. He just laughed...( he is a Brit and knows just what I'm talking about)....but did he walk away??? Hell no help. The bike had cooled down and was at that point where you are trying to decide.....tickle or not. I chose not and thank goodness it started first kick. Probably 35-40 bikes in that parking lot and mine was the only kick start one up there.

Richrd's bike is coming along nicely......tapered rollers for the steering next. You might have noticed no wind screen or rack, I want to leave it that way. I hope to assemble my rig ( B44R w/velorex chair) this winter so I'll have my camping rig back......but Richrd's bike is going to be my "sports" bike for when I'm feeling sassy. To be honest, like all my bikes it's a 25 footer and the photos make it look better than it actually is. But at two lane highway speeds who knows the difference.

Great seeing you and Mike........we need a camp before it gets to cold.

Gordon in NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/03/21 5:46 pm.

2 members like this: Tommy Thomas, PINEMONKEY
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
This is a test to see if I can insert photos in between my texts. It CAN be done, ( Thank you Morgan) I just need to figure out how to do it.

I took a photo of these Vincents. Kinda odd the way they were set up away from everything else. Beautiful machines, way out of my league.

[Linked Image]

This was the raffle bike, 500 tickets sold at $25 each. I didn't like the photos of it but in person it was an interesting machine.

[Linked Image]

Hopefully the photo ends up in the middle of this text and not at the bottom.

I'm hoping everyone has a healthy and safe weekend.

Gordon

UPDATE: IT WORKS!!!!!!! thank you Morgan.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/03/21 1:05 pm.

3 members like this: ricochetrider, PINEMONKEY, Morgan aka admin
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
OK, lets see if I can do as well as Gordon did!
He posted the raffle bike so I don't have to.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A Hi-Rider that was actually ridden in. Most of the ones I see are trailer queens.

Winner of the best American. Some young kid (early teens) rode it in wearing a leather helmet and goggles.

Plam Werks aka Boxer Two Valve guys. If you have a BMW you have probably watched their videos.

Winner of Favorite British. Nice, but it needs to be ridden!

Nice old flat tank Triumph. Ridden to the event every year. About an hour's ride according to the owner.

I'll have to defer to those more knowledgeable about what this on is. Tank says Clyno. I just thought it was really nice.

The Vincents from another angle. I missed a photo of two more on a trailer cause I was talking to the owner.

Race bike so our Mike Baker can say he swings both ways!! (That's a joke!)

Mike's real race bike. AHRMA winner, and favorite race bike winner.

My bike. I made the mistake of cleaning it up a bit. Then they announced that judges looked for "ridden, a bit dirty" bikes. I wasted a whole ten minutes!

Winner favorite European. A Nimbus with a Jawa sidecar.

For those of us whe think they remember the 60's. Painted by my friend Jeffro. He won't see this, but Hi Jeff!

Just in case you want to try your hand at making aluminium body work at home.

I have a soft spot for little ducks.

Also a soft spot for Senor Bulto's products.

Well, I'm about to hit the post button. I hope this works.

Last edited by HughdeMann; 10/03/21 11:23 pm.

1974 Daytona project
A couple others
2 members like this: Tommy Thomas, Gordon Gray
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Shaun complains we don't post enough pictures. I hope this make up for our lack just a bit.

1974 Daytona project
A couple others

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com