Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 80
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (JER.Hill, MaaseyRacer, quinten, 76degree-triumph), 28 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Adam M. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
Did anybody have a pleasure to buy aftermarket gearbox sprocket being too tight to fit corresponding shaft?
I just tried it and it goes as far as a thread goes and stops there. Don't want to use force on it anticipating it would be impossible to dismantle it later.
It looks very nice and has Made in GB sign on it. Is it possible to do something to it or it's just wasted money?

BSA on eBay
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
It's not uncommon for these to be very tight.
Some work with a stone can be done to ease the spline.
If it's a good one it should be drilled/tapped to take 2 bolts
for using a puller to remove.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Working on a Triumph 5spd trans, I had that same problem. And I did it to myself! Decided to NOT buy the available Emgo Taiwan sprocket, and waited for a “made in England” sprocket to arrive. Wanted a GOOD one….. I struggled with it, tried to Stone, use Bluing to find the high spots, got it to go on 1/2 way, but never did get it to go on completely. Brought the Emgo,…… works fine.

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 09/25/21 3:43 am.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
2 members like this: Mark Parker, Gary E
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
I had the same problem with my A65. I bought a UK made sprocket from onestopbikebits on ebay and it just wouldn't fit over the splines. I had the audacity of asking for a refund and got put on the blocked buyers list as a result.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire
1971 BSA A65 Firebird
1971 BSA A70 Lightning
1975 Norton Commando
1961 Norton 99
1 member likes this: Gary E
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Have you got a spare/scrap mainshaft sleeve gear ? if so put it in the vice and you can drive the new sprocket on and off with some brute force a few times and maybe gain the fanny hair of clearance that you need.

Last edited by KevRasen; 09/25/21 10:48 am.
A
Adam M. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
Servodyne, I believe my sprocket is from the same vendor from GB, however I bought it perhaps a year ago and didn't think about asking about refund. And no sprocket looks well made but doesn't have holes for removing it from a shaft. I have a spare A65 gearbox, I already took a fourth gear from it and have very skilled friend/ mechanic with powerful press perhaps he could find some way of getting it to fit the splines.
I don't get it, why the people ordering / making it don't check it on corresponding part for good fit and waste lots of money making substandart part?

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I found on the Triumph five speed the early splines are very slightly different from the late ones. It could be because the early ones were made by Quaife and the late by Triumph. I used a diamond file to get it to fit. Use a marking pen on the sides of the splines and always put the sprocket on the same way.
It could be that whoever made the sprocket measured a poorly made high gear.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Servodyne; Thanks for the "heads up" about Onestopbikebits.

I'll be very selective concerning WHICH (if any) items I order from him.

A
Adam M. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
Dave, this is BSA 4 speed I have problem with.
I talked to my mechanic and he suggested to try to heat a sprocket up and install it hot, because a difference in clearance is very small, anyway he told me he has to measure it properly first. He also has some diamond accessories to work on a splines so we will see what can be done. I gave him a sprocket and corresponding 4th gear with splined shaft, so he can fit a sprocket after working on it.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
same here, have three UK-made sprockets which don't fit a 4-speed or 5-speed Quaife. the Emgo sprocket fitted without problems.
now how to return the sprockets to the UK.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Interesting how common this problem is then !!
It always amazes me to find out the issue I think I am the only one suffering through is actually well known. My GB sprocket was a beautifully made thing….. to look at. What a waste of design, engineering, manufacturing, just to come up with a $$ pretty sprocket that will not work!

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
The ones from SRM have always been a good fit, not sure who makes them but they are stamped “made in England” dearer than some but I haven’t got the time not the desire to try and contact some companies, some of whom never respond to your emails.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

J
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
J
Hi

Just a thought! While I've never had an issue with the G/B sprockets. For a project I was playing around with I bought a Triumph engine sprocket, now it looks like the splines are the same as the A65 crank splines, but they are not.

Reading this post I wondered if the Triumph G/B sprocket is similar, looks the same but isn't. No personal experience with the Triumph unit, just thought I'd as the question!

My tuppence worth.

John

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
last time i fitted a new sprocket it needed a little TLC , knock the corners off the broached channels with a small triangular file.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
A
Adam M. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
Yes, this is what my friend - mechanic did, telling me this is popular mistake during broaching operation, leaving a collar of the sprocket unsupported.
The result is slight cone in collar area ( 1 - 2 thou ) which has to be cleaned by filing.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com