Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Boomer
Boomer
Orygone
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 84
NickL 69
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 23
Newest Members
bradders, tizianouk, Breeze, FORTYTWO, TomV
11,929 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Magnetoman, Ginge), 22 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
Hi All,

1972 BSA B50 - torn apart, but having issue getting painted in my somewhat rural area of Florida.

Original was purple, but I am trying to repaint something close to original for 1971 - Flamboyant Red with 1971 stripes, etc.

My painter says he has two options - one is to source paint in Flamboyant Red from RS Bike in the UK, or, find a suitable match using PPG Deltron system paints. He far prefers the PPG as he is proficient in their use.

Given this will NOT be a show bike, can anyone provide any ideas on how to get close to Flamboyant Red using the PPG Deltron?

I really need to get past this with the painter - I don't have an option for getting this done locally.

Thanks!

BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Why not use House of Kolors who still do the coloured varnish over silver of gold base.

1 member likes this: Allan G
F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
An options, but since not a show bike - and, since the painter had a strong preference - was trying to just get close and have a good paint job ... trying to keep it simple as I am out of options locally.

Last edited by Florida BSA; 09/23/21 6:32 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
No metallic will look like a Candy colour which is what all the flamboyant colours are, the effect is not the same. As long as he plans to do a coloured varnish over a silver or gold base then it will look similar.

F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
kommando,

OK - so, will the House of Kolors candy paint solution provide a suitable long term, tough solution?

Which of their colors gets closest? Frankly, I prefer a bit brighter red than some repaints on B50s I've seen on line.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Single shot paint will always look flat no matter what you choose
To make it "BRIGHT" then you need to build up the colour as is done with air brushing.
Over a silver base will make the colour appear bright
Over a gold bade will make the colour look deep
Other than that the painter can add the finest flake

Bike Beesa
Trevor
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Yes, to get a good candy apple red you HAVE to spray a base coat of fine silver flakes,
and then spray over the top with a transparent red, as many coats to get as dark as you want.

There is a 4 wheeler just down the road from here, that absolutely GLOWS red in the sunlight.
This is not it - but very similar....

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

If your man can do this in PPG, then go for it.

I'd comment that I tried doing this a while back in one coat enamel - the paint guy said it wouldn't work,
and he was right - the silver in the red made it more pink than red ! Made for a good undercoat ...

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Flamboyant red is Candy Apple Red, the end result can be varied by both the base being silver or gold and the number of top coats. Gold will give a warmer result which is my preference, 4 to 5 top coats.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Funny
According to the factory information the blues were supposed to be over a silver base & the reds over a gold base but I am yet to come across anything over gold

Bike Beesa
Trevor
1 member likes this: Allan G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Florida BSA
Hi All,

1972 BSA B50 - torn apart, but having issue getting painted in my somewhat rural area of Florida.

Original was purple, but I am trying to repaint something close to original for 1971 - Flamboyant Red with 1971 stripes, etc.

My painter says he has two options - one is to source paint in Flamboyant Red from RS Bike in the UK, or, find a suitable match using PPG Deltron system paints. He far prefers the PPG as he is proficient in their use.

Given this will NOT be a show bike, can anyone provide any ideas on how to get close to Flamboyant Red using the PPG Deltron?

I really need to get past this with the painter - I don't have an option for getting this done locally.

Thanks!
Here is the easiest place to get correct paint. Very good match and in US.
https://hutchinsoncycle.com/

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My 63 Star had gold base paint under the red. It kinda reminds me of the Lightning Clubman gold.
My 69 Firebird had grey under its red. The Gold must have been too expensive by 1969.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 09/24/21 2:11 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My paint came with gold base.
[Linked Image]

This is original paint cover next to my painted one.
[Linked Image]

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby
My 63 Star had gold base paint under the red. It kinda reminds me of the Lightning Clubman gold.
My 69 Firebird had grey under its red. The Gold must have been too expensive by 1969.

I’ve noticed the reds on the 1970 Lightning were less vibrant and darker than the likes of the 68 model. Though this could also be a day by day change too.

Renault Flame Red is a great metallic variant to the candy paint.
Like Kommando says the silver base will completely change the paint. The BSA colour gave it more like a metallic appearance (this is using the RS Paints colours, the red being probably the closest I have seen for a match) the silver on the 70’s Hondas were more like a pearlescent finish and make the finish like looking through a glacier mint.

There’s a Mazda red which is a touch darker

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
Status ...

Good discussion with Don Hutchinson - says he uses the gold under the red - his codes working with Dupont products. Said would be glad to talk with my painter, and Don can provide small quantities of the various components, clear urethane, thinners, etc.

So, I call my painter and get to the point where I mention Don's name and he says, "Oh yeah, I know him ... talked to him a couple of years ago ...completely forgot."

So, painter will call and talk with Don about colors, components and amounts.

Given the knowledge level herein, would you guys recommend staying with the gold metallic under or change to the silver for brighter finish - even though this might require more red coats?

Thank you, All!

More when I know.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
If the originals were definitely over a gold basecoat then it will give you a closer match to original to stick to that.

If you want brighter sparklier darker shinier then do whatever it takes, its your bike.
All you have to do is convince your painter ...

Anyone got anything with a paint chip out of it, to show the gold basecoat ?
Some folks claim that some Nortons used this, but I've yet to eyeball it.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Status ...

Good discussion with Don Hutchinson - says he uses the gold under the red - his codes working with Dupont products. Said would be glad to talk with my painter, and Don can provide small quantities of the various components, clear urethane, thinners, etc.

So, I call my painter and get to the point where I mention Don's name and he says, "Oh yeah, I know him ... talked to him a couple of years ago ...completely forgot."

So, painter will call and talk with Don about colors, components and amounts.

Given the knowledge level herein, would you guys recommend staying with the gold metallic under or change to the silver for brighter finish - even though this might require more red coats?

Thank you, All!

More when I know.
My pics above are over gold. The amount of red over the base determines the darkness.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
F
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
F
It's always hard to tell with various lighting, but Beach's red covers are a bit darker than what I wanted, but again, lighting ...

If silver base then to darken is simply more coats of the red? But, in theory it will be "brighter red?"

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It's always hard to tell with various lighting, but Beach's red covers are a bit darker than what I wanted, but again, lighting ...

If silver base then to darken is simply more coats of the red? But, in theory it will be "brighter red?"

No not quite, more coats will deepen/darken the red and less of the base will come through, my last tank was sprayed with 2 many coats and came out a deep red. Kept it as is as it does look good but the base colour of gold does not show as well in sunlight as it would with less coats so less brightness with more coats.

1 member likes this: Beach

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com