Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
Broomfield, Colorado, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (Morgan aka admin, 76degree-triumph, quinten), 19 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
I never win anything. I do the odd raffle type deal expecting to win nothing. I never waste money on the lottery.

A fair number of flat track bikes get sold via raffle. I never bother. Until last week. A Kawasaki 750 went up for raffle. Really good build, has some good race history. Winner gets the bike, 2nd gets $2,000.00, Rookies of 79 charity which helps injured riders gets $3,000.00. So I figured it was worth $100.00 to help a good charity.

I sent my money and started having an odd feeling about this raffle. Not that something wrong, but I was gonna win. Bull, last thing I won was 3 weeks in the hospital with a case of Covid.

This afternoon started getting messages congratulating me on winning. I figured I was getting my chain pulled. Then I got an email from the owner….I WON! My old race #43 was lucky.

My new toy

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
6 members like this: tdc, ricochetrider, Morgan aka admin, Jon W. Whitley, GrandPaul, BeezaBryan
British motorcycles on eBay
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Never say never, congrats man

Life member
Life member
You goin racin agin?

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Oh, man, I'd LOVE to take that for a few dozen spins on a nicely prepared track!!!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
That's a sweet bike! Congrats, man.

Keith

'66 BSA Lightning
R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
I don’t know if I am going racing, but the shoe came off the wall for the first time in a long time…..

I used my old race # for the raffle….

Ride safe today!
Online Happy
Ride safe today!
So what are we waiting for. swap the yellow plate for your #43 and hit your backyard I'm sure it will do a fast track out of your Trials course.. wink
To bad we have an ocean in between otherwise I would challenge you with my #57
[Linked Image]

Congrats to your win!!!

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Support Britbike forum & upgrade your membership
------------------------------
Join our British motorcycle forum on Facebook
1 member likes this: tdc
E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
I told Rich that it would make a great pit bike at Mid-Ohio. I can just see him sliding sideways into the pathways in the swap meet!

Ed from NJ

R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
It does have electric start!

Ride safe today!
Online Happy
Ride safe today!
Originally Posted by Rich B
It does have electric start!

Rich: Beware of electric start buttons.. just saying.

When you press the start button don't press to hard or you might get hurt..
I had my ligament and muscle end torn off in my right thumb in 1980 when the start button kicked back real fast and hard .. Surgery and plaster cast for six weeks .. see image for scare..
[Linked Image]

Since then I only use kick start.. just saying.. 👍

Last edited by Morgan aka admin; 09/19/21 1:41 pm.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Support Britbike forum & upgrade your membership
------------------------------
Join our British motorcycle forum on Facebook
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Congrats Rich !! That looks like a fast ride... A barrel of fun for sure... You deserve it

https://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Wow, price was right. And a serious dirt track weapon too.

R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
It is finally here. Arrived just before dark

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Rich -

What in the WORLD are you going to do with that? There's only 3 valid options ... the non-valid option is to just make it like a vase or flower planter and display it in the conservatory ...

1) Race it yourself.
2) You be the Owner and find a young fire-eater to race it.
3) Hang some lights on it (functional or not) and use it for local fun and games on the deserted Ohio backroads ....

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
No. 4 is to use it as a pit bike at Mid-Ohio. It would be just the thing to blast up down the paths in the swap meet scattering the kids on mini-bikes and atvs in its wake!

Ed from NJ

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Lannis
Rich -

What in the WORLD are you going to do with that? There's only 3 valid options ... the non-valid option is to just make it like a vase or flower planter and display it in the conservatory ...

1) Race it yourself.
2) You be the Owner and find a young fire-eater to race it.
3) Hang some lights on it (functional or not) and use it for local fun and games on the deserted Ohio backroads ....

Lannis

Likely #2 since I am already helping a young rider who is fairly talented.

But #4 remains possible! laugh

I started digging into it last night. I have my own standards for how a race bike is put together. While overall it is well done, there are some detail things I want to clean up. I did discover the Caswell coating inside the tank is falling off in LARGE chunks, eek

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
I started digging into it last night. I have my own standards for how a race bike is put together. While overall it is well done, there are some detail things I want to clean up. I did discover the Caswell coating inside the tank is falling off in LARGE chunks, eek

Always good to go over someone else's work when you now have responsibility for it!

Same thing happened with my Caswell coating ... cleaned and primed the tank per directions with their cleaner, mixed it carefully, etc ... and 6 months later found that the whole coating, although still sealing the tank, was no longer CONNECTED to the tank; it was like a large clear plastic bladder inside. That was my last go at tank lining solutions ....

Lannis

R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
I have had really good luck with the KBS Coatings for tanks. It is a urethane coating instead of an epoxy coating. I have sealed some Bultaco tanks with it and don't even bother to drain the fuel. It works that well.

Tanks that have had 2 stroke pre-mix in them are the worst to coat due to the oil impregnated into the glass fibers.

It is a very thin material. I was highly skeptical the first time I used it. But so far, it has been flawless.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
All I can say is "don't get hurt".

I know i probably would, it's just SO tempting!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
R
Rich B Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
R
"All I can say is "don't get hurt"."

I need to fight temptation! It doesn't help at all that there are 2 facilities in Ohio that allow you to rent them for very modest cost for practice or testing.

Plus there is the Champion Bultaco that I know I am gonna take some laps with at a specific track. It was last raced at the Salem ¼ in the late 70's. I was "wrenching" on it that night. It has never run since. I feel the need to at least ride practice on that track with that bike.

1 member likes this: GrandPaul
Born To Run
Born To Run
That's fantastic, Rich!

I'm sure whatever you decide to do with it with be a blast. I feel ya on the whole "digging into it" thing. Recently purchased a "running" (see: not sorted) '82 TMA Royal from a guy, original owner and long time Triumph enthusiast. He owns five T20,T100,T120 and T140.

Started wiring it for LED lighting, needed to pull the outer GB cover to fix the neutral switch wires and I'm now probably going to have to take it down to the crank b/c of what I've uncovered. Good thing I have the time and enjoy that type of work (see: sums of $$ spent after purchase).

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J Silver Jubilee
'82 T140ES TMA Royal
‘69 BSA Rocket 3 (patiently awaiting it's turn)
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by JubeePrince
Started wiring it for LED lighting, needed to pull the outer GB cover to fix the neutral switch wires and I'm now probably going to have to take it down to the crank b/c of what I've uncovered.
Cheers,

Steve

I don't know if this is your situation, but I bought a bike once from someone who had a reputation for taking stellar care of his equipment, who said that he had an A&P certification and had rewired and rebuilt the mechanics on his antique "Ercoupe" plane, and who was asking a premium price for his bike.

Which I paid.

And barely got it home. It had about 50 feet of brown lamp zipcord in the wiring, plastic wire nuts covered with duct tape connecting the zipcord to tiny 28 gauge wire, the coils hose-clamped to the frame and cracked and oozing dielectric goo, I had to pull probably 100 feet of horrible wiring out of it; it looked like a birds nest on my shop floor. It was the worst bodge-job I've ever ridden down the road, and it took a visit from Dr. KarlB to start it on the road to mechanical and electrical health.

How the seller got a reputation for "quality" work, I'll never know. He died about 6 months after I bought the bike, so I never went back to him or name-shamed him publicly, but it's the only time I've bought something on someone's "reputation" from friends and been sadly disappointed. Did he honestly believe he'd done a good job? Was he an idiot but friends didn't notice or say anything? Thank goodness it's rare - reputations are generally accurate ...

Lannis

1 member likes this: Tommy Thomas
Born To Run
Born To Run
Originally Posted by Lannis
Which I paid.

Fortunately (luckily?) I paid what I would consider a very fair sum of money (see: not premium) for the bike. I first contacted him about buying it two and a half years ago, but a sudden life change (see: divorce) forced me to back out. I found out early this year that it was still for sale. He wasn't trying that hard to sell it apparently.

Heckuva nice guy, long-time Triumph enthusiast, I expected a reasonably sorted machine based on our many conversations over the past couple of years. Picked it up in July with hopes of riding this fall, but it looks like I may have to wait until spring.....dodgy wiring, Sparx regulator installed with zener and rectifier still in the circuit, metal from a failing layshaft bearing in the gearbox, metal in the primary from a WAY too slack primary chain dancing, metal in the sump, metal in the frame's oil tank, two too tight valves, frozen spindle in swingarm, it goes on ad nauseam.....first world problems I suppose.

Oh, yeah: at one point he suggested I could fly in and ride the bike back to Maryland from Kentucky!

Steve

'77 T140J Silver Jubilee
'82 T140ES TMA Royal
‘69 BSA Rocket 3 (patiently awaiting it's turn)
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
1 member likes this: GrandPaul
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
I did discover the Caswell coating inside the tank is falling off in LARGE chunks, eek

Hugh Mackie of Sixth Street Specials has THE method for pre-treatment of tank coatings. His theory is that residual gas in the tank causes coatings to fail. No "normal" amount of drying or chemicals can totally remove the residuals. Solution: set the oven for as low a temp as you can get and put your tank in the oven for 24 hours.

Now all you have to do is clear this technique with the Wife. Good luck with that. laugh

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/27/21 6:33 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com