Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Peter Quick
Peter Quick
Jaffrey, NH, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 82
quinten 79
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe, Looping, Teager
11,844 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Tridentman, No Name Man, desco, Mr Mike, dandruff, Stuart Kirk), 36 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 138 of 138 1 2 136 137 138
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Hi MM,
I have also been following the cannonball 21 mostly on FB recognizing some of the faces we met back in 2018
It looks like Team Norton have been busy in the pits ??? It seems quite a high % of DNF's / retirements

John

British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by chaterlea25
It seems quite a high % of DNF's / retirements
After only 4 stages (with 12 more to go) 1/3 of the entrants haven't managed to cover the 899 miles so far.

Three riders somehow didn't manage to keep their bikes running for all 13 miles of the prologue. After that, plus another 184 miles of Stage 1 (less than all of which were covered by eight riders), eleven riders failed to make it as far as 10 miles on Stage 2. Possibly these figures imply a certain lack of preparation on the part of 12% of the field. However, somehow a Ner-a-Car has covered all the miles so far.

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Hi MM
In 2018 I had some conversations with the Neracar's owner, He asked if I knew anything about Blackburne engines as he was going in search of
a UK built Neracar model powered by one that also features a 3 speed gearbox, rather than the 2 stroke friction drive thing they tried in 2018
It so happens that my Chater Lea has an ohv Blackburne so I was able to offer some advice on the engines and maybe get some extra "go" from it
I wonder if it has managed Tuesdays Mountainous terrain?

John

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Given that this thread, as well as an Ariel rebuild thread and a Cannonball thread, also seems to have taken on a sub topic of machining and tooling I thought I would post something I saw earlier.

On a YouTube channel that I follow, a guy was using a Bluetooth dial indicator to indicate deep inside a cylinder bore. He set the indicator up and used the Bluetooth function to show the readings remotely on his phone. He could therefore view what the indication and adjust the set up on the machine without being able to see the indicator itself.

Its not something that I will rush out and but "just in case" but if one ever has a similar problem where the best place for the indicator is somewhere you cant actually see it whilst setting up the job then it is something to remember.

https://store.motionics.com/products/bluetooth-dial-indicator-bluedial

John

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Uh oh. A Mitutoyo bluetooth dial indicator. That, for MM, will be like chum to a shark..

1 member likes this: George Kaplan
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by George Kaplan
a Bluetooth dial indicator
Thank god, this development has arrived just in the nick of time. I've recently spent several sleepless nights worrying there might not be any additional measurement tools for me to buy. Now I can look forward to replacing everything with instruments that let me see the reading on my iPhone rather than on the instrument.

I do wonder, though, that if the indicator is buried so deep in a steel part that I can't see it, how strong the signal will be that makes it out of that Faraday cage. However, even if I have to put my phone in the cylinder with it to register the signal, I'm not sure I can live much longer without it...

2 members like this: NYBSAGUY, George Kaplan
S
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
Originally Posted by George Kaplan
a Bluetooth dial indicator
Thank god,.....just in the nick of time....... I'm not sure I can live much longer without it...
Seems that this style might be even better for the smaller bores we work with.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Only $509.00.

V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
Hello Charles and others.
I have signed up to this forum, now I can follow your work on your Model C.
On the attached picture the 1928 model C I bought last April here in the Netherlands.

At first I was a bit reluctant to join here as most of you hide behind fake account names.
I only know you, Charles, by your name.
And yes, I noted the remark placed by 'Cyborg' about me a while back, that's what you get when people hide their real name and go loose on their keyboard not knowing who they talk about. You're a hero Cyborg.

Anyway, back to what this forum should be about..
The model C I bought was originally imported in to the Netherlands by Dealer Augustinus in Den Haag on 17 Feb. 1928.
Fitted with a Lycett, Magdyno and a amac carb.
Not much left of those by now.
I am going to use a KSA1 Lucas and a AMAL 229F/10V from my Comet.
For the lights I have 'found' a SS49 and a MT110, the KSA1 and the SS49 are from 1929 but I am glad I could find them at all.
Like the engine the lights will be a total loss system, LED's running on a battery alongside the rear frame.
The frame was in a pretty bad state but from Karol Burger in Slowakije I bought a new gearbox cradle and replaced it together with two short parts in the bottom rails.
more later!

(now trying to figure out how to include a picture..)

Regards,
Vincent van Ginneke.
full member : AOMCC / Dutch Ariel Club / MAG / Aermacchi-Gilera Motorclub / VOC / VOC Dutch Section / VIM-.Vereniging Interessante Motorrijwielen-.
Company: www.wetblast.nl

2 members like this: NYBSAGUY, Magnetoman
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Welcome, Vincent. There's a good reason to "hide" behind screen names. I use the same one here and on the VOC, but use a variety of different ones elsewhere.

Given the nature of the internet, if some whacko decides he doesn't like something I wrote, different screen names make it that much harder for them to find and attack me on other sites. It wouldn't necessarily stop the truly obsessed, but it would deter most. Although the people here and on the VOC are friendly, that's not the case everywhere.

My real name was revealed here by someone with bad intentions for doing so, after which I sometimes posted thing that included my real name. I might not have done that otherwise.

As for posting pictures, you have two choices. One is to pay an annual fee to Britbike that allows you to post directly, and the other is to find a Hosting side for your photographs, and include a link to the photo.

In the former case, you can "Reply" to a post, in which case you will next see a blank screen, or you can "Quote" a post, in which case the full text of the post you are responding to will appear (which you can then edit to include only the relevant information).

[Linked Image]

At the bottom of the Reply or Quote screen the "Use Full Editor" button pops up a screen with additional options, including an Attachment Manager that lets you add up to five photographs, one at a time. An additional detail is you should have your cursor located where you want the post to appear, and after each one is uploaded you then need to click on the photo in the Attachment Manager to insert the necessary link at that point.

If you use an external Hosting site, clicking on the icon of a picture will let you enter the URL of the photograph.

[Linked Image]

Anyway, back to Ariels. I love my Model C, and it has given me a real interest in rigid-framed, girder-forked bikes of that era. Unlike older machines, the Ariel is fast enough, and stops well enough, to hold its own with modern traffic on all but Interstate highways.

1 member likes this: NYBSAGUY
Magnetoman #859257 Yesterday at 07:29 AM
V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
[img]http://D:\ARIEL\Ariel 1928\mijn c\Model C 1928[/img]

vanGinneke #859258 Yesterday at 07:34 AM
V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
Hmm, that did not work. wich one is that 'attachment manager'?
Above this 'full editor screen' number 9 icon is called 'Insert image Link' but I can get anything else then the title of my pic inserted...
I just push some other buttons now, see what happens.
I''ll be back..

the difference on my PC is that the 'Attachment Manager' link that shows in your post in the bottom left hand corner is not appearing on my screen.
I'll send you my pictures to your email, for you to post here (if you would be so kind).
Thanks, Vincent

Last edited by vanGinneke; Yesterday at 07:47 AM.
Magnetoman #859328 Yesterday at 05:03 PM
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Here are the two photographs Vincent sent me to upload:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Magnetoman #859332 Yesterday at 06:16 PM
V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
Thanks!
The Model C I bought is pretty rough as you can see..
The frame had some damage to the bottom rails to such extend that the 'repairs' done in the past made the wheelbase shorter.
Maybe this was intended, could be.
The two bottom rails from after the gearbox platform had been shortened, this had the effect of raising the ground clearance.
Same 'trick' was used on the Ariel WD frame's .
I made a stiffening plate to replace the crankcase and engine plates to be able to use force when lining the frame.
Perhaps you can see that the frame tubes that splay out after the seat pillar point downwards on the first pic.
On the second picture these tubes are o.k. again.
The 1"new pipes are connected to the old tubes with shouldered hollow inserts, to be tig welded.
The two 'T' frame tube brackets from centre pole to left and right bottom tubes , I am making now.
The gearbox platform I am going to weld with acetyleen .
Next up will be the remaking of the gearchange lever attachment on the frame.
Then on to the front fork.

This is going to be one real fine Ariel motorcycle !

Last edited by vanGinneke; Yesterday at 06:17 PM.
2 members like this: Magnetoman, NYBSAGUY
Magnetoman #859340 Yesterday at 08:08 PM
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
You can see the lengths I went to starting around here in order to reconstruct a BSA frame prior to mothballing that project in favor of the Vincent.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
With just two days remaining in this year's Cannonball, only 37% of the riders still have full points and 20% have racked up 8 DNFs in the 14 sections so far, which puts them entirely out of the running. Only one non-American bike still has full points, Team Norton's 1923 Model 16H ridden by Chris Parry. Given the preparation and support crew of Team Norton, that says a lot about how hard the Cannonball is on man and machine. Apparently, it isn't quite as hard on woman and machine given the percentage of women entrants still with full points and only one female DNF.

They have a full day today followed by a short one tomorrow, bringing it to an end ~5 miles from the Mexican border across from the anachronistically-named Matamoros (literally, "killer of Moors").

Page 138 of 138 1 2 136 137 138

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com