Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Peter Quick
Peter Quick
Jaffrey, NH, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 82
quinten 79
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe, Looping, Teager
11,844 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (desco, No Name Man, dracko, L.A.B., Stuart Kirk, kommando), 33 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hello,

Would love to know of a person who works on late 60s Triumphs - or a shop that does in the Houston "area". I have a 68 Bonny needing the new wiring harness installed and the last couple of dozen(s) things, including finishing the wheels/spokes and tire assemblies needed to finally get this bad-boy on the road.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 68Newbie; 09/08/21 2:23 pm.
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Dang - based on the lack of replies, the Houston area must really be a dead zone for British bike shops.

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
The local BMW dealer, also known as British U S A works on Triumphs

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Not sure if they speak “1960s”, but certainly worth contacting them. Likely you’re not the 1st to ask……..

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/dealers/usa/british-usa

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by John Healy
The local BMW dealer, also known as British U S A works on Triumphs
I used to buy parts from them, and bought a Norton High Rider from them. Haven't been in touch with them in a few years.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
The first motor I dealt with a full rebuild on it was done by a shop. Months of prodding and checking progress made me realize that I could easily have done it at the kitchen table with the same quality results; the money saved on labor could have paid for all the basic tools needed to do the job. Using my swingarm as a holder, I respoked the wheel. Made my own wiring harnesses 1 wire at a time. My last paint job has lasted over 10 years and other than certain expletive scrapes, looks and shines great. In the long run, I also learned a lifetime of basics to not only keep it running, but to do dozens of "make it runs" up to full restorations. And yes, the first time around on any of the above I was SCARED that I would f--k something up, especially having a lousy job with low pay. Better to learn it now before all the old teachers and written info have passed.

1 member likes this: GrandPaul
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Appreciate the replies, everyone...

Deadstiff - totally get what you are saying, but I've gone about as far as I can go getting my 68 Bonny to this point. Engine, trans, frame, all nuts and bolts, everything is either rebuilt or replaced with new, but I really need someone to finish her up.
I'll be sending the wheels to Buchanan's to be finished. Local guy talked a good game, but then tapped out before finishing them.
A bunch of other little things that I unfortunately don't have the time right now to work on...but I REALLY want to this bike out on the road!

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
You've been learning, that is great to hear; respect the lack of time. Perhaps there might be an "Adopt an old Brit bike mechanic" lending type scheme out there? The kind where you lock an old britbike wrench in the garage with tools, parts, food, beer and cigarettes for a week and see what happens? Someone out there oughta be willing, just to hear it fire up the first time! All my best to you, seriously! Joe

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Last time I was at British USA they mainly seemed to be into the modern bikes. Cliff, the owner, is knowledgable about the old bikes but you might end up with a shop tech that has worked mainly on new bikes.
Lu Llano in Alvin used to be pretty active but haven't heard from him in awhile.
https://www.buzzfile.com/business/Relic-Cycles-281-331-2059
If you really want quality work, I would suggest Big D cycle in Dallas. Bit of a hassle to haul stuff up there but they are the best.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Austin is closer, Revival Cycles in downtown, or Dave's Cycles in Round Rock, or Relic Iron in Hutto are all fairly decent shops...

Last edited by GrandPaul; 09/17/21 7:44 pm.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Just talked to Luis at Relic in Alvin - nice guy, but he retired last summer and didn't really have anyone local to the Houston area to recommend.
Like Paul, he did mentioned Austin as having a nice British bike scene.

I'll ping a few in the Austin area tomorrow. Thanks again!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I mis-typed "Relic" instead of "Revival" (Cycles, in Austin)...

fixed.

Last edited by GrandPaul; 09/17/21 7:45 pm.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
You try Big D in Dallas? Keith Martin pretty much knows his stuff. Not Houston, I realize, but one of the best out there, anywhere.

Last edited by linker48x; 09/22/21 12:56 am.

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com