Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
wadeschields
wadeschields
NYC and York PA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 68
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 29
quinten 28
Newest Members
FERRARTIS GROUP LD, Okp, Stevie B, EmmBeeDee, dresda
12,125 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Comeau, Neil1964), 30 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,065
Posts769,648
Members12,125
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#847299 04/27/21 3:16 pm
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
David Jones, who was providing parts and service for Solex carbs as used on some SquareFour Ariels, has retired. His wife could give no information on who now provides this service. Burlen do not list much in the way of Solex parts. I have a 26 AHD Solex for my '53 Square Four but it came off a car so all the jets are wrong. Any ideas where I might obtain the jets I need?

Larry

Laurence Luce
British motorcycles on eBay
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
OK, seems like I'm on my own here. No reason to maintain this thread as I will be largely talking to myself. I plan to try to get the motor to run with what I have and take it from there.

Laurence Luce
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by slow learner
OK, seems like I'm on my own here. No reason to maintain this thread as I will be largely talking to myself. I plan to try to get the motor to run with what I have and take it from there.

Hi Larry,
You're right, this is an old thread. I just now stumbled across it and although I don't know much about Square Fours, I immediately thought of Pierce Manifold up in Hollister, CA. They are our go to source for odd Weber parts and they also stock some Solex parts. Their website only shows Solex carb kits but it is still probably worth giving them a call. Be ready with some physical dimensions, thread size and pitch and what size orofice you want. I've always found them helpful and knowledgeable. And if they can't help, they may know someone who can.

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/default.asp

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Thanks for the info Stuart. I've been busy with other bikes but will soon be back on the square 4. The Solex in question is basically a pre-war design but Ariel stuck with it until they modified the frame to accommodate an SU (in 1954). A few years back someone paid $800 for a supposedly well sorted Solex so prices for parts and carbs have become highly inflated. I guess I could try to adapt a Carter or something similar but that opens a whole new can of worms and I do have a complete Solex of the correct pattern but not correctly configured.

Laurence Luce
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
And if all you need is jets, they can be made, or modified from something similar.
Carb rebuild kits are available in the UK.

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com