Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Richrd
Richrd
Springfield Nebraska
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 82
quinten 80
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe, Looping, Teager
11,844 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
6 members (Mike, in Idaho, drp, KevRasen, L.A.B., No Name Man, C.B.S), 32 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#857641 09/04/21 4:33 pm
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Rode my C Rapide this morning for the first time in several months. I was able to shift gears from first to fourth quite easily but could not shift back down again. The lever "refused" to travel upward and, if not for the Manual shift lever, I would've been stranded. Interestingly, when the bike is at a standstill with the engine off, I am able to shift through all gears up and down with the foot lever without difficulty. The refusal to downshift with the engine running didn't change once warmed up. Occasionally, I was able to shift from 4th to 3rd, but only intermittently and couldn't get from 3rd to 2nd or from 2nd to 1st.
Before I remove the outer cover, I thought I'd seek your wise counsel and find out if this has happened to anyone else.
Thank you in advance,
Paul.

Paul

'74 Commando - Interstate
"74 Commando - Hi-Rider, possibly
'65 Atlas, mostly anyway
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four
Support your #1 Vincent Forum
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
This is going to sound stupid, but, how much force is the two locknuts on the battery carrier imparting to the gearbox plate (G50) - there should not be any (the two slim nuts are only there to make up the difference in carrier mounting and engine plate), the battery carrier should be a nice slide in fit between the engine plates.
Honest!
Cheers

P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Thank you, Phil - I take none of what you say as stupid! Do you mean that if the two slim nuts are too far outboard they may gauge distortion of G50? The converse could also be inferred if I overtighten the nuts on the rod holding the footrests, I suppose. Do you think that this distortion could result in the symptom I describe?

Paul

'65 Atlas, mostly anyway
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
….cause distortion, not gauge, of course

Paul

'65 Atlas, mostly anyway
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
So, I removed the footrest nuts and am able to wiggle the battery box up and down. Restarting the engine leaves me with the same problem. I'll state what I have done so far, in addition to above:

Thank you all for your suggestions
a) I took the clutch apart - all was very clean and dry (no oil oozing into the clutch) and all spindles are fine. I measured the clutch springs and they match up well. I adjusted the clutch cable as per the handbook instructions. With wheel off the ground and engine running, the rear wheel rolls to a stop when in gear and clutch (handlebar) lever pulled in.
b) Took the outer gearbox cover off - again. Minimal adjustment made to position of G61as per Richardson's book. Adjusted, slightly, the cam (G57) to allow more room by G49 for upward movement of the lever. Found there was a washer under the bolt head (right hand 327) which might have interfered with upshift and removed it.
c) Return springs (G64, G70 and G71) had been replaced with new ones a couple of hundred miles ago and all looked to be in great condition
d) The battery carrier tray is a nice sliding fit with the two slim nuts up against G50. I don't know if that is enough.
e) I drained the gearbox of oil - beautifully clean without evidence of metal fragments, so replaced it via a filter

After all above, I replaced the cover, kickstarter lever, gear selector lever, G81 and readjusted the clutch. I can select all gears, up and down while the engine is off. Started her up and it appeared as if I'd done nothing - same refusal of the selector lever (G78) to even budge in upward direction!
I'm flummoxed, especially since all worked beautifully a couple of months ago.

Paul

'65 Atlas, mostly anyway
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four
P
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
P
Greg Brillus - the last name should be Brilliant! He contacted me by email and suggested that the G91 lever might be fouling the selector lever, G66 when the clutch lever is pulled in - and that is exactly what is happening! With engine off, I have been able to downshift because I have not been pulling in the clutch lever, but have needed to do so with the engine running. Thank goodness for an easy fix.
Thank you again, all of you, for your kind suggestions - I have learned from each of you. And a mighty thank you to Greg.

Paul

'65 Atlas, mostly anyway
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com