Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Kent Shaun
Kent Shaun
Kent Garden of England
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 71
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
NickL 28
quinten 24
Newest Members
Ianc15, chuckhaz, Motorelic, Mrmoe, cole simon
12,117 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (L.A.B., bsawood), 39 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,030
Posts769,129
Members12,117
Most Online151
May 8th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Denis J Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi All

Just got back from a pick up trip on a purchase I have been working on for a few weeks.

Listed here in my neighborhood (2 miles away!!) Was a very original 1969 Interceptor listed as "A Vintage Triumph" and little other information - Scam is the word that came to mind as a few friends locally also saw it.

I patiently waited for the seller to very slowly return my messages as facebook marketplace is not keen on phone number exchanges on the first date.

He wanted $10k for a not running since the 90's, no history or paperwork bike that was missing the drain plug.

I have wanted one of these since a past life so I was determined to dig in and get his attention

After a few back and forth messages I finally got his cell number. Even that took a few days to get us connected. He is a busy guy buying and selling late model bikes all week long

The story how he got the bike was thin on the ground, but he did give me all the serial numbers and the CA plate number was still in the DMV system and registered as non-operational. All the numbers are consistent with a 1969 bike and they are on the registration! Excellent!

After verifying with the authorities and the NICB (what a short vin # hassle) I made sure not only was it not stolen, but who the previous owner was and how this young guy came to have it

After another few days he adjusted his price and ad to $4k. He complained on one of our conversations about a gent offering much less.

I managed to convince him that there was going to be a dmv nightmare and that the value of this bike as is was not as strong as his non motorcycle buddies lead him to believe. I mean..How many wackos really want these old, kick start, paint shaker junkers?..We do of course!

So as it stood - No history, just missing a drain plug and battery cover/strap. Bad engine? Forgetful previous owner? Disaster and dismay? No way to tell as the previous owner has since passed.

Push come to shove and a quiet week later he called and said - Come get it for $2800. Bam!!

I was so excited with the bikes condition in person. SO completely original! Minimal bumps and bruises and from all I can tell only missing the drain plug and battery cover/hold down.
The rear tire is still covered in its waxy coating and has little wear - A Goodyear All Traction common for a HD Sportster from the late 60's early 70's and pre DOT dating meaning that is a new tire from no newer than 1971...holy smokes.

I need a drain plug!
I just spotted them new, but I am a big fan of buying original pieces and I am hoping one of you out there are willing to sell me a plug and the bits to hold down and cover the battery.

Here are the purchase pictures. I Look forward to this one with lots of enthusiasm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Full time classic motorcycle mechanic and enthusiast to a fault
Royal Enfield on eBay
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Holy Malolies Batman, you STOLE that sucker !!
It's beautiful. Looks like it was never used..
Good things come to those who wait !

If you're not familiar with Enfield parts suppliers... Baxter's is a good place to start. Followed by Hitchcocks and Burton's, both in the UK.
They DO carry some NOS parts.

And if you don't mind... the REOC dating officer, Graham Scarth would appreciate the motor, trans, and frame numbers for the club's register.

Amazing how a "busy guy" bike seller would list this as a vintage Triumph when it clearly says- Royal Enfield r on the rear mudguard !

They say every dog has his day..
Trouble is, nobody tells the dog which day it is !

Will work for Guinness , MURPHY's preferred smile
2 members like this: Denis J, tomoil
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Sure looks like an all ordinal Series 2 Royal Enfield Interceptor to me, for $2,800!
All you need to do is clean it up and put it in your living room, or if you want to ride it (Best of all) take it all apart and go through it and freshen it all up and get to know it.
There must be a reason it sat for so long, and it is 50+ years old.
I would also put an oil cooler on it, Interceptors do not like hot weather.
A well sorted Interceptor is a very fine riding experience.
Here's your battery cover.

https://www.britishbikebits.com/royal-enfield-interceptor-1969-parts

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yeah, it was not a stolen motorcycle - until now! Great deal. How many miles are on the clock?

(Edit) Don't forget there is an Interceptor Group which has a link to the ozemate site - https://groups.io/g/REInterceptor

I will bet there's nothing wrong with that bike and that you'll have it ridable soon.

Last edited by Al Eckstadt; 08/28/21 12:49 pm.

Al Eckstadt
Denis J Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I intend on riding this one. I do want to preserve the original finishes and clean off all the corrosion.
May just set it up in the living room to clean it...the Mrs may come to love it...Ha!

Denis J Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Al Eckstadt
Yeah, it was not a stolen motorcycle - until now! Great deal. How many miles are on the clock?

(Edit) Don't forget there is an Interceptor Group which has a link to the ozemate site - https://groups.io/g/REInterceptor

I will bet there's nothing wrong with that bike and that you'll have it ridable soon.

There is 13k on the clock Al.
I did join the RE Interceptor site you mention recently, but I'm still trying to figure it out.

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
The oil seal on the end of the crankshaft has probably perished and should be replaced in any event before starting. Remove the timing cover for access. An infamous design flaw, the seal also needs some means of retention added. I have used Loctite bearing and seal retainer with success; others prefer mechanical retainers they can see. Watch the oil. There will be sludge accumulated in the crankshaft. Modern oils will lift the sludge and take the babbit off the rod bearings. Seizure results, usually on the L side..... often catastrophic.

Welcome to our community, and congratulations on the acquisition. Even the side reflectors have survived, and the fender decal - most unusual.
Graham at the REOC would appreciate the engine and frame numbers, and the gearbox number copied onto the front of the crankcase. It is safe to post numbers here - the complete range is well known - but contact directly if you prefer. Check out www.royalenfields,com to see Graham's blurb in the R sidebar.

1 member likes this: Denis J
Denis J Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Tried to email Graham through the website today and it kicked back. Maybe he got it, but just in case he did not is there another way to reach out to him?

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Graham's personal email is in the blurb at www.royalenfields.com
Or post the engine, frame and gearbox numbers here, and I will see he gets them.

Last edited by Chris Overton; 08/31/21 4:06 pm.
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I paid near twice that for a Series 1 in similar condition and thought I got a great deal. Well done, mate.

Hitchcocks has the factory manual and parts books available online for free. Do not be hesitant to order from them as the shipping is very fast. I get my orders within 2 days most of the time here on the east coast.

1964 RE Interceptor 750, 2007 RE Bullet 500
1 member likes this: Denis J

Moderated by  royaloilfield 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com