Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
Peter-L
Peter-L
Schilde, Belgium
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 78
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
kevin 22
Newest Members
TomV, old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee
11,925 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
7 members (OriginalScott, Dr. Z, Hugh Jörgen, gavin eisler, D.Bachtel, russrudolph, kevin), 28 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Happy to have the clutch hub off! Progress!! I went ahead and used a my 2 jaw puller with a heat gun and hit it with a hammer as in Campbells video only not as hard. Popped right off, but had a panic when I looked for the shaft and it was gone; thought the shaft must have broke, but no the trans popped out to the timing side. The trans nuts were all off from when i got it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[img]https://[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51449386426_63f80ac2e3_c_d.jpg[/img]

BSA on eBay
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
The main shaft looks like it’s been running hot, either running dry/insufficient oil or too thick of oil maybe.

You’ll likely want to change that clutch hub too as there is limited chance it will be perfectly flat since you’ve had the 2-jaw puller on there.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Possibly his high gear bush does not have the spiral oil groove?

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
It's more likely that the clutch has spun on the shaft at some time looking
at the keyway and the taper.
Nice round dogs on mainshaft 2nd too.

1 member likes this: Allan G
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Clutch hub is still flat. Picked up a gearset at the BSA Club of New England show last Sunday for $40 (WOW!). I think my gearset is fine, not excellent, but fine. Will probably not use the $40 set, but I could.

Picked up some other goodies at the show.

100 foot of nickel plate chain with 6 links for $80

The front fender looked sorta close to what I thought I needed so $30 and home it came.

The grab bar ran riot through my mind at $5. God only knows what it will fit?!

The vendor who had the T140 mufflers new in the box was firm at $50 so i gave it to him.
The other mufflers were unknown by the vendor and have a little bend at their start, but i could not say no at $30.

The other bits were $5 and under. The Hawaii inspection sticker will match my Hawaii plate back when I ran a panhead on Oahu. Just have to figure how to avoid 5Oh. (LOL)

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Pick the best of the sliding gears and fit them so the best of the dogs is in the driven direction.
Make sure you shim the layshaft from the driveside for minimum endfloat .
Use the best of the selector forks and the better cam plate, the one with the least clearance for the forks.
Then pick the best quadrant of the two.
Use some fine grinding paste and lap the clutch centre onto the mainshaft, ensure the keyways are allowing the key to seat.
Just my 2c.

Last edited by NickL; 09/22/21 4:49 am.
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
While the set is out weld a bridge across the thin section of the cam plate .
Some where lurking around here is a copy of the BSA service notice covering the repair .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
The 68 cam plates have it, the ones that followed don’t need it. But if you fit the bridge or a 68 style cam plate into an oif then you’ll also need to grind away some of the casting inside the box To clear the bridge

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (now rebuilt)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Split the case. Progress!!! The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Crank and race:

Iffy cam (not Isky); breather just farts at the drive sprocket; why didn't I think of that!

Case front mount to frame:

Since the frame is not stamped with a serial number, knew I was not involved with a concourse bike. The tig weld adds character to putt to the IGA and pick up groceries.

The photos were taken as the bolts came off. No light on any of this for decades, I'm thinking.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Originally Posted by Allan G
The 68 cam plates have it, the ones that followed don’t need it. But if you fit the bridge or a 68 style cam plate into an oif then you’ll also need to grind away some of the casting inside the box To clear the bridge

You should check any of the camplates for full clear movement, later plates in early engines are also prone
to fouling. The best places to weld bridges is where 2nd and 3rd are selected, but only really required for racing.
The beezer 'fix' was rubbish, too thin and bent should be a solid strap just filed out enough to clear the fork roller.

1 member likes this: Allan G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Archeology.

B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Would like to submit my Britbike archeological doctoral thesis in brief.
Here goes:
Basket case BSA purchased with seller stating "Been in the family warehouse for decades, dissembled, laying in a corner. Its a 68 with no numbers on the frame". Newbie buyer hauls BSA basket home and dreams he has hit paydirt after seeing a cherry 68 Lightning original paint with even original air in the tires for sale online for eight grand and after not even knowing anything about BSA except saw one in college with air cooled front brake. Signs up at Britbike and quickly learns the engine is a 71; the frame is OIF with no serial number. Cases for engine were unsplit, with engine stripped otherwise and only clutch centering hub still attached to mainshaft and even the trans cluster nuts removed from the opposite side. A special tool being required to pull the clutch centering hub, thus relegated to the warehouse corner decades ago. Buyer splits case and finds tig weld on internal part of case where nose would mount to front frame downlegs. So, no frame serial number, damage to front case nose therefore ipso facto.... A dealer was contacted in the early 1970's to get a new frame which was shipped transatlantic by BSA with no serial stamping on the frame. The dealer also was going out of business, as was the supplier, BSA. The dealer was supposed to stamp the new frame, but did not since he was paid already by deposit to order it. Please send my Britbike Phisophiae Doctor certificate aka Bhd if upon review found to be good to go, and with all due humility and dignity submitted. Also, can I borrow a set of stamps with reasonably accurate script? HaHa

Check out how nice fine grit emery cleaned up my cam!

B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
I love my basket!

I'm thinking painting all Ivory, frame tank side covers swingarm. Only color to be shooting star inset on tank and Union Jack crossed with Stars n' Stripes on side covers. Maybe a lightning bolt, too. Paint target: sharp bitchin' Brit!

First sorting back in July:

G
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
G
On an OIF the frame number is stamped in a vertical pattern on the headstock left hand side, its faint at best, try scuff sanding that area.

The engine case damage was probably caused by a con rod letting go, this usually happens because the timing side crank bush wears and oil pressure to the big ends is reduced , this usually happens because dirty oil promotes rapid wear. years ago a firm called devimead engineered this flaw out by converting cranks to end feed with a combi ball/ needle roller bearing, in the USA there are folks that can still do this Ed Valiket for one. Others swear that the bush is fine so long as its correctly fitted and decent oil filtration is installed, a paper cartridge filter unit on the return line.

The tank propped on the frame pic is from an earlier dry frame model, the tunnel will not clear the OIF spine correctly ,because later triumph twins used basically the same running gear you have some better option for tanks.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com