Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Richrd
Richrd
Springfield Nebraska
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Rohan 82
quinten 79
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
Edalfa, SDiff, Chopperbabe, Looping, Teager
11,844 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (No Name Man, L.A.B., TinkererToo, KevRasen, Tridentman), 34 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
O
Very good slideshow of Dick's life and career, lots and lots of pix I've never seen!

https://vimeo.com/575248525

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
British motorcycles on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Someone my age who was a teenager in the 1970's should be riding the bikes that were popular then like a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki like all my friends did, but instead I got into BSAs and all my friends thought I was nuts.

So when I'm chatting with other vintage bike nuts or when I'm giving talks to the VMCC here in Scotland, when people ask me how someone my age got into BSA motorcycles my answer is always that it's because of two guys - one you don't know and one you do.

The one they don't know was a Hell's Angel that lived near my parent's house. Most people thought he was a bit mean and forbidding but he would sometimes ride past me on an old BSA that I knew nothing about, but that nevertheless flicked a switch in my head in a way that Hondas didn't and I wanted to find out more.

So, with money given as a gift for my 17th birthday I went into Edinburgh and bought what was probably the only book about BSA available at the time. On the cover was a guy racing a Rocket 3 with a look of such effortless determination that I thought 'this guy looks cool as f*ck and I want to ride any bike he rides'.

He's the guy you do know - it was Dick Mann - and without him I'd never have been riding, breaking and fixing and riding BSAs for the next 45 years and counting.

He had NO idea what he started thousands of miles away in Scotland...

Last edited by Myles Raymond; 08/20/21 9:36 pm.

Myles Raymond, Glasgow, Scotland.

1934 BSA R35-4 DeLuxe, 1949 ZB32 Clubman Gold Star, 1955 BSA A7ss, 1961 DBD34 Clubman Gold Star and others.
"A tidy workshop is a shop where no work is ever done" - my Dad.
1 member likes this: Morgan aka admin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com