Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsSRM EngineeringGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership: Premium Membership Gold Membership

New Sponsor post
Cyber Monday Sale - 10% off at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 11/29/21 5:34 pm
New FAQ post
How to find my own threads?
by reverb - 11/20/21 3:55 pm
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
The Bonneville Shop
The Bonneville Shop
Broomfield, Colorado, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 79
Rohan 73
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Newest Members
old ion limey, muzz750, Motorcycles and Art, SteveDee, Gus_Carrero
11,924 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (Chris the camper., Morgan aka admin, 76degree-triumph, quinten), 21 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Wondering if we have any connoisseurs that can vouch for a particular brand and type. I have no idea which type he likes and I am totally lost with the subject being a beer and wine guy (until I had to quit). He is a very conservative gentleman and I am thinking single Malt, maybe 15-25 YO and not too much peete. That's as far as I get. In the local store there are at least 50 different brands and types, maybe more. Price is not important but I don't want to get crazy (I saw one for >$600 US). Something to impress him and give him drinking pleasure.Thanks, Brian

1972 TR6RV
British motorcycles on eBay
Life member
Life member
Well this will be like an oil thread.

Talisker (Isle of Skye) 10YO. Peaty, but not as extreme as the those from Islay. Of those (Islay) I rather like Lagavulin. I'm not really a fan of the 'highland' whiskys.

But as I said. It's like oils.

Ray

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by BrizzoBrit
Well this will be like an oil thread.

Talisker (Isle of Skye) 10YO. Peaty, but not as extreme as the those from Islay. Of those (Islay) I rather like Lagavulin. I'm not really a fan of the 'highland' whiskys.

But as I said. It's like oils.

Ray

I had a short list of three candidates that I drew from some on-line blogs. One of those was Lagavulin (Distillers Edition). So thanks for that. Maybe I'll get him this. -BA

1972 TR6RV
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
When I reach 100 years of age, I'll be expecting several bottles of Scotch of different varieties. Where's the definitive Scotch taste map gone?

Peaty is OK, but - for me - can never be a session Scotch. Maritime malts can be indulged to excess e.g. Scapa, Old Pulteney

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yes, this will definitely turn into an oil thread. I only drink spirits on the odd occasion, so take this with a grain of salt.

My wife and I visited the Orkneys on our way to the 2019 BSA International, and stayed in a hotel in John o'Groat's, They had whiskey flights on the drinks menu, and it seemed impolite not to try out the local produce while relaxing after dinner.

The local products which stood out to me were "Old Pulteney, from Wick (I think) and Scapa from Orkney. They were both quite mellow. I couldn't find the Scapa locally, but snagged a bottle of Old Pulteney at the airport Duty Free on the way home.

p.s. dibnah beat me to it.

Last edited by Shane in Oz; 08/12/21 6:11 am.
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Ha! You wouldn't get that level of consensus on an oil thread.

1 member likes this: Shane in Oz
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Glen Ord.

There is no swallow.
It melts on your tongue.

https://www.htfw.com/scotch-malt-whisky/highlands/glen-ord

Last edited by Chip H; 08/12/21 11:10 am. Reason: More good sense nonsense.
1 member likes this: PINEMONKEY
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Lagavulin or Laphroig tend to be an acquired taste, some say it's a quite antiseptic taste
I like it but in moderation

The Mcallan is a nice mellow malt.

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
"When I reach 100 years of age, I'll be expecting several bottles of Scotch of different varieties.
Where's the definitive Scotch taste map gone?"

https://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/whiskyflavourmap.htm

Last edited by Chip H; 08/12/21 9:59 pm. Reason: Freshen quote.
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
I've made it easy for my kids. Scotch all tastes like campstove fuel to me, and there's nothing material that I really want as a gift, so a visit on my birthday or a holiday suits me just fine!

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by AngloBike
Lagavulin or Laphroig tend to be an acquired taste, some say it's a quite antiseptic taste
I like it but in moderation

The Macallan is a nice mellow malt.

I had the experience to taste a 15 yr old Macallan once- I'm not really a scotch (or whisky) guy but that...

was prettig remarkable.

Over the years I've tasted more than a couple variants of scotch. None of which I can recall having any impact or leaving any particular impression. Other than that 15 yr old Macallan. Don't know of it was double cask, triple cask... or what exactly but all these years later I still recall its pleasurable impact. Perhaps it was the triple cask variety?

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Chip H
"When I reach 100 years of age, I'll be expecting several bottles of Scotch of different varieties.
Where's the definitive Scotch taste map gone?"

https://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/whiskyflavourmap.htm
I get a 403 error on all the links on that site frown

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
I get a 403 error on all the links on that site frown
I just tried it and it seems to work fine from here in the USA. Because of covid has Aussie government locked down the internet whiskey sites too?

P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
I'm no one's "afficianado", but I do dabble. I am very partial to the Speyside and Highland varieties (though I do enjoy a nice Islay, now and then).
This one one of my very favorites: GLENMORANGIE "QUINTA RUBAN", it is aged in recycled port casks. It is a lovely thing, neat or with a wee splash.
[Linked Image from whisky.de]

Absonotly.
Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
I used to drink Glenmorangie .
buy 2 or 3 middle priced brands and have a taste test
[Linked Image from scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk]

E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
E
A bad experience in my teenage years generally turned me off to scotch, however, I do enjoy most other whiskeys - bourbon, rye, irish whiskey, etc. I have also noticed over the years as the prices of those whiskeys have risen, that while it is easy to find a good whiskey if price is not a factor, you can also find some pretty nice whiskeys that are a lot more economical. I call this "Adventures in Cheap Whiskey." For instance, Dad's Hat is my favorite rye but it is $50-60 a bottle. Old Overholt bottled in bond is a very respectable rye that can be found for $19-22 per bottle. It is not quite as good as Dad's Hat, but its not $40 per bottle worse! Similarly, Old Tub, bottled in bond is an unfiltered bourbon distilled by Jim Beam. It is quite tasty and is available for $22 per bottle. I am not trying to hijack the thread, but I assume that there are similar hidden treasures in the "cheap" scotch world that would be fun to explore. Although for Dad's 100th, spend the money!

Ed from NJ

Life member
Life member
Originally Posted by edunham
A bad experience in my teenage years generally turned me off to scotch, however, I do enjoy most other whiskeys - bourbon, rye, irish whiskey, etc. I have also noticed over the years as the prices of those whiskeys have risen, that while it is easy to find a good whiskey if price is not a factor, you can also find some pretty nice whiskeys that are a lot more economical. I call this "Adventures in Cheap Whiskey." For instance, Dad's Hat is my favorite rye but it is $50-60 a bottle. Old Overholt bottled in bond is a very respectable rye that can be found for $19-22 per bottle. It is not quite as good as Dad's Hat, but its not $40 per bottle worse! Similarly, Old Tub, bottled in bond is an unfiltered bourbon distilled by Jim Beam. It is quite tasty and is available for $22 per bottle. I am not trying to hijack the thread, but I assume that there are similar hidden treasures in the "cheap" scotch world that would be fun to explore. Although for Dad's 100th, spend the money!

Ed from NJ

An experience in my early 20s put me off any American made commercial spirit for life. The only exception was tasting some clear liquid out of a mason jar one time

BeezaBryan

He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination, It's the glory of the ride (Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
A social event in my teens, free sherry! Perhaps best regarded as a no-cost aversion therapy session.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
A mate of mine was hospitalised when maybe 15.
He'd been drinking sherry from a pint mug and was given a 50/50 chance of survival.
Needless to say even a whiff of sherry makes him go green 45 years plus later

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Highland Park

Scapa

These are my favourites.

At the moment there is a blend of single malts called Shackleton which is particularly good value, I would rather have two bottles this than one expensive one.
Any whisky with an age on the label sells for a premium, as these get rarer the price goes up considerably. Buying a 25 year old in 2002 cost 80 pounds, now I shudder to think what it would cost.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
O
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
O
i switch to scotch when i go to some camping weekends
im not even picky about it.

but i find i have less help emptying the bottle!

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
V
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
V
There is only three types of scotch whisky. Good, better, best. I’ve drunk far too much good whisky, an insufficient amount of better, and am still trying for best.

B
BAinLA Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Well, thanks everybody for the feedback. Much appreciated. His birthday was yesterday. The mayor came by to read a proclamation.The whole neighborhood showed up with gifts and food, wine, beer, liquor Etc. My brother was there (a BMW motorcycle guy, among others, he has a 650 single dirt bike too) who I hadn't seen in years. Everybody had a great time and I had a glass of Scotch on the rocks with my dad.
I ended up just grabbing a bottle of Ben Lomond 18 yo single malt which came to $90+. When we met he explained that he drinks "three fingers of rot-gut" every night and isn't a connoisseur and thinks people who buy expensive Scotch are snobs. Oh well, hope he enjoys it anyway, to me $90 is expensive.
The Scotch he did have was very nice and I must admit, if I was still a drinking man, I could get real used to that. BA out

1972 TR6RV
2 members like this: Chip H, ricochetrider
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Sherry by the pint is an achievement. The ambition and confidence of youth. Sherry and pernod are "ambush" drinks: apparently innocuous yet can create danger by luring the unsuspecting drinker to excess.

"Auchentoshan" occasionally appears in UK supermarkets at £21 a bottle, a palatable single malt from the outskirts of Glasgow. So don't mess with it.

The 100th was an event!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by BAinLA
His birthday was yesterday.
Everybody had a great time and I had a glass of Scotch on the rocks with my dad.
It seems it went well, so that's excellent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com