Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
5% Off Everything for Brit Bike Users
by The Bonneville Shop - 12/30/21 4:54 pm
New FAQ post
Manuals on DVD - Buy 4 for 3
All 4 DVD Manual
Member Spotlight
JD
JD
Maryland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 63
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 25
NickL 24
Newest Members
Vincent in LA, Lil Dave, OWhatAThrill, Mountain Rider, ToddK
11,996 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (dave j), 15 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics75,326
Posts758,926
Members11,995
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#856122 08/14/21 5:01 pm
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
To learn something new.

Past month or so I added a couple of tools to the box that I should have had already but just "got by" without them.

I wanted to let you guys know ( you know who you are) that we are listening and you're willingness to share doesn't go unappreciated.

How many times have i read "GOOD battery"? Dozens at least. Well........after someone ( I looked for that reply but couldn't find it) mentioned how little a battery load tester actually cost......I got one.

6 batteries here in the shop. I knew one was on it's way out but the others were okay as far as I knew (only checked DC voltage). I ended up recycling 4 batteries after testing. I do have a couple of good batteries to compare the tests to and did them several times.

I'm switching over to EI on my bikes and I need to pay better attention to the batteries in them.

Never get to old to learn something new.

Gordon

Gordon Gray in NC, USA.........Life's a BEACH!!!!!!
1 member likes this: Jon W. Whitley
British motorcycles on eBay
Life member
Life member
You've been points all these years?

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by Deadstiffcatt
You've been points all these years?

For the most part.......yes.

Gordon

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
EI units are nice, but some were/are more supply voltage sensitive than others.
I'm curious as to what EI brand you've decided on or are considering ?

They say every dog has his day..
Trouble is, nobody tells the dog which day it is !

Will work for Guinness smile
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've tested thousands of batteries over the years at work. When I first started out all we had was the "toaster oven" load tester that measured direct voltage and voltage drop when the load was applied. In later years we got the fancy electronic testers that measure cold cranking amps, voltage, and percent of charge. I can't tell you how many times I've tested a battery with the new testers that check out good, only to have them come back in a day or two stone dead. Charge them up and use the old toaster oven tester and you get an immeadiate NFG reading even though the new fangled testers say it's OK.. You can't beat analog/mechanical IMHO.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

2 members like this: BSA_WM20, Gordon Gray
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by oilyamerican
EI units are nice, but some were/are more supply voltage sensitive than others.
I'm curious as to what EI brand you've decided on or are considering ?

Boyer......because of the man that stands behind them.

I've probably done 90-95% of all my riding on points systems. I first used EI on my trials bike back around 2000. Only Brit road bike was the C25 I put together for the Moto Giro USA. OOPS.....forgot the B50 but I haven't done a lot of miles on it.

I trust points.......but I'm getting lazy in my old age and my eyes aren't what they used to be either.

Gordon

Boyer.jpg
Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/14/21 8:07 pm.

2 members like this: GrandPaul, Little Doobie
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Having made batteries I for one realize just how difficult reliable battery testing is.
When Sims introduced the maintenance free Besco batteries , the assembly package came with a mile of assorted electrical testers
And many of them were done before the battery was assembled.
However there were so many warranty claims they resurected to old carbon pile load tester and applied this to every battery .
NO more warranty claims .
And we spent better than a month being taught how t calibrate & use the new fancy dancy computer controlled testing gear
So I am big fan of carbon pile ( Toasters) although if you leave them on for too long on modern ultra thin plate batteries you can cause the plates to warp.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
I wish I could find who said the testers weren't really that expensive........Irish Swede ... Tridentman.... one of the regular helpful posters I just can't remember who?????

My MAIN reason for posting wasn't to say that now I can test to make sure I'm using a "GOOD" battery......it was to let those fellows know we are paying attention even if some of us do sit at the back of the class.

I want to thank each and everyone of you that takes the time to share your knowledge and experiences.

A grateful Gordon in NC

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
I'm curious as to what these older testers look like.
Are they similar to this one ?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yCsAAOSwbFdhEpaD/s-l1600.jpg

They say every dog has his day..
Trouble is, nobody tells the dog which day it is !

Will work for Guinness smile
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Having made batteries I for one realize just how difficult reliable battery testing is.
When Sims introduced the maintenance free Besco batteries , the assembly package came with a mile of assorted electrical testers
And many of them were done before the battery was assembled.
However there were so many warranty claims they resurected to old carbon pile load tester and applied this to every battery .
NO more warranty claims .
And we spent better than a month being taught how t calibrate & use the new fancy dancy computer controlled testing gear
So I am big fan of carbon pile ( Toasters) although if you leave them on for too long on modern ultra thin plate batteries you can cause the plates to warp.
We used several different load banks in the Navy to test the APUs and generators we serviced & overhauled.

Some of them were a good few steps up from "toasters" and could be compared more realistically to commercial roaster ovens! (and, yes, we did some cooking with them)

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by oilyamerican
I'm curious as to what these older testers look like.
Are they similar to this one ?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yCsAAOSwbFdhEpaD/s-l1600.jpg

Yes, that's exactly the one. I bought one twenty years ago and it has saved me UNTOLD hours of misdiagnosing electrical problems on bikes and cars.

A battery cannot fool one of those things. It might read 12.7 volts at rest all day long, and people say "Oh, it's good, I tested it with a voltmeter", and then it dies as soon as a 30-amp load is connected across it.

A battery is one of the most fragile and failure-prone components on a motorcycle, but for some reason people think that they are unlikely to fail, that if they look good they must work good, if it is new or new-ish, it can't be bad, and that if a 12 volt battery reads 12 volts it must be a good one, when in fact a battery that reads 12 volts is as dead as Stonewall Jackson's horse.

I don't know how many times I've said "Load Test The battery First", and folks don't do it, and a week later it turns out to be the battery.

If you're doing your own work, GET ONE!

Lannis

"Never stand and take a charge. Charge them too!"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You never know Gordon...the tool fairy my leave one under your bike at the OSMR.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by MikeG
You never know Gordon...the tool fairy my leave one under your bike at the OSMR.

The one I just purchased looks almost exactly like the one in oilyamerican's link except mine is "battery Tender" branded. Probably made by the same people.

But I'm guilty of just what Lannis is talking about......,if it had 12+volts it was good in my book.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/15/21 4:43 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gordon—. I think that I plead guilty to having recommended a battery load tester a couple of months ago.
I bought one several years ago and have found it to be extremely useful.
It has certainly paid for itself several times over.
I think the most useful aspect of it is that you can test battery in just a couple of minutes and know either that it is usable or fit only for the trash.
IMHO part of the camaraderie of Brit bikers is that we share experiences and knowledge— good and bad.
Best of luck with your get together down south.

H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
We have a brand new Harbor Freight in town. That tester is in stock, and only 20 bucks. I think I'll get one tomorrow. That should guarantee I have the worlds longest lasting batteries!

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1974 Daytona project
A couple others
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by Tridentman
Gordon—. I think that I plead guilty to having recommended a battery load tester a couple of months ago.
I bought one several years ago and have found it to be extremely useful.
It has certainly paid for itself several times over.
I think the most useful aspect of it is that you can test battery in just a couple of minutes and know either that it is usable or fit only for the trash.
IMHO part of the camaraderie of Brit bikers is that we share experiences and knowledge— good and bad.
Best of luck with your get together down south.

I just couldn't remember ( I had a couple of good guesses) who or on what thread........BUT do remember you mentioning that the testers aren't really that expensive. So I took a look. I have to admit it's something I've never even though about. Couldn't see the forest for the trees.

I just had a battery go bad on the only push button bike I have.......so I figured I could use it to compare other readings. I also had a couple of newer ones.....hoping they tested good and they did. I'd wait the required resting time and check them all again to see if the readings changed......they didn't.

Crap.......I'm 70 and have been riding bikes since the late 60s.........took some time off during my drinking days but have put a lot of miles on two wheels over the decades. I "just get by" with good enough. But my good enough is changing these days. I'm breaking down and putting oil filters on bikes that have made it 50 years without one. I'm not to old to learn new things and when some people speak I try to listen. Keep hearing the same thing over and over by people you know.......know what they are talking about and maybe it's time to try something new.

Thanks again Tridentman, for everything. You weren't the first to say it but your post got me to do something about it.

Gordon in NC

PS Tridentman our next get together is in Northern Pa.....Coudersport, Sept 11, 2021. It's an event hosted by Mike Gordon (aka Mike G) and is a one day, 200 mile loop through some beautiful country side. We stay at the Laurelwood Inn in Coudersport. Everyone is welcome???? Focus is vintage British but there are some modern bikes going to be there. Probably 10- 15 riders???

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/16/21 12:47 am.

Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
Originally Posted by HughdeMann
We have a brand new Harbor Freight in town. That tester is in stock, and only 20 bucks. I think I'll get one tomorrow. That should guarantee I have the worlds longest lasting batteries!

Marlin (aka HughdeMann) Only one of my batteries had less than 12 volts....it was the one on my little cruiser and the push button had finally died. All the others I "recycled" had well over 12 volts......in the low .90 to 13+. BUT....after testing them 3-4 times they all showed failure under load.

You and I dealt with that little battery I was carrying as a spare..........it had over 13 volts in it but.......my bet is it was bad from that discharge I told you about. I only checked DC voltage.

I had my stator go out on the C25 on the way back from the BIBR. Thank goodness my ammeter caught it and with lights turned off and unplugged that battery brought me home. So adding all that up.......I needed to up my game on battery maintenance.

That thread file you were going to lend me.........was my second new tool of the month. I'm not out of the woods yet but closer than I was.

Gordon in NC

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
To learn something new.

I'm switching over to EI on my bikes and I need to pay better attention to the batteries in them.

Gordon

A good choice IMHO. A few years back the stator wires on my Norton broke while Bob and I were headed to the TSMR. Somewhere up on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia my lights dimmed out so Bob and I swapped batteries and continued on figuring we would keep doing that till we got to Windys. Never needed to swap out again in about 150 miles thanks to the low voltage draw of a Power Arc EI and keeping the lights off.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
That's What I got

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
In the "mine is bigger than yours vein" I have one with a variable load
But yes works a treat particularly when trying to convince some one that the battery on their ride on is deceased.
Before that it was a headlamp sealed beam with the H & L joined together .

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com